Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Backup Campac from 9C to 9CSuper?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 06:42 AM
TOFAST4U2C
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Campac from 9C to 9CSuper?

I have 24 planes on my Futaba 9C with a 64K aftermarket Campac, 8 on the radio and 15 on the Campac. I always felt having a backup radio was important for a few reasons. Recently I saw another flyer in our club have a transmitter failure and lose all the planes stored in the radio and was without the ability to fly for 3 weeks while his transmitter was being repaired. My interest was renewed in the backup idea.
I picked up a 9C Super for a bargain price since its owner moved on to a 2.4 radio. I wanted to know the best and safest way to move what’s on the 9C radio memory and its 64K Campac to a back up 64K Campac that will run in the 9C and the 9C Super. Or at least maintain a viable back up to put into the 9C Super when I need it.
Futabas web site says:
Radio System FAQ
Can I copy models from my older 9C into my new 9C Super?
Yes, you will notice that when you insert your Campac from your 9C into your 9C Super that when you get to model number 13 on your Campac you will see an arrow appear pointing to the number (1), what this means is that the radio is copying model number 13 into your model 1 memory on the radio.
So while this is easy to do, it is best to back up models 1 through 12 into a separate Campac first, as the radio will default to copying Model 13 into Model 1 just by pressing the "Select" button.

So what’s your thoughts?
Thanks
Jack
Old 10-02-2009, 04:21 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Backup Campac from 9C to 9CSuper?

You can actually convert whats on the 9C campac to the 9cs but its one way, if you put the campac back in the 9c it won't see it and tell you that it needs formatting.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack, I own a 9C, Super9c, and a 10C. models stored on the 9c or 9csuper will load into the 10C. I only a a couple 16K Campac, on Futaba and the other is an aftermarket one.

When you turn on the 10C or 9C super with the 9C campac, it will ask you if you want to initalize it. NO. THat zeros out hte campac. THe data on them is upward compatable, but not downward, IEa model on the 10C can't be loaded into the 9C or 9C super.

Don
Old 10-02-2009, 05:47 PM
TOFAST4U2C

Thanks Dan, so your saying the data on the 9c works on the 9 super but any new data entered on the 9 super wont work on the 9c?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Campgems

Thats perty much it. Look at it this way. The 9C Super had some aditional mix items, so those wouldn't translate back to the 9C, Ditto for the 10C over the 9C super. I did take 9c, not super models and load them into my 10C so it is compatable all the way up in that line anyway.

Don
Old 10-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

BE CAREFUL! You After you put the 9C campaq in the 9CS, the 9CS will want to copy the first model on the compaq to the first model slot on the 9CS. Make sure that if you have a different plane stored there you first copy in to a different internal 9CS position.

Lets see if I can simplify this a bit.

9C Compaq has a H9 Suki in the first position. (model 13)
9CS has a H9 Edge in it's first memory position (model 1)

The 9CS is going to copy that Suki right on top of your Edge. Before you start transferring, copy the Edge to a diffent internal location (eg. model 9)

I did the exact same thing you are doing. Moved all my 9C stuff to a 9CS.

1. Copy the models one by one from the 9C internal memory to the 9C compaq.
2. Move whatever you have in the model 1 slot on the 9CS to a higher number position but less than model 13.
3. Insert the 9C compaq into the 9CS.
4. Copy the first model on the compaq (model 13) to the model 1 slot.
5. move the newly copied model 1 to a higher model position.
6. Repeat as neccessary. Remember, consider the model 1 slot on the 9CS as a temp. folder for xferring from the compaq. For some reason the 9CS will only copy from the compaq to the Model 1 slot.

I know it sounds confusing but it works and you won't write over a saved model this way. Don't ask me how I know. [:@]
Old 10-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Campgems

I paniced after your post. I wen back and checked things and all is good. I copied the planes from the 9C to the campac. Put the campac in the 10C and copied them from the campac to the standard memeory. All went well there.

I had previously coppied my 9Csuper to the 10C with the same results. Idid notice that when I put the 9C campac in the 9CS, it had a different opening screen, but hitting "END" vs a yes or no selection left things OK. In my case, if it had overwriten the model, it wouldn't have mattered much as I turned it in to a pile of trash a couple months back. But, the right model name was still there. I didn't go in and see if the stttings looked OK.

By the way guys, there is an Excel spread sheet to record your setting. It's kind of combersom to use, and it needed some modifications for the 10C, but it is a good tool for storing the settings. if you are so inclined. A PChookup would be so sweet, but you can't have everything I guess.

Don
Old 10-03-2009, 09:41 PM
TOFAST4U2C

Thanks for taking the time to help me out guys. That was a great little instruction list and caution tip Robotech.
My last detail is to work out is how I will go about getting all 24 planes on the new 64k campac. I guess I should copy the first 8 in the radio to higher unused numbers in the campac which should max the 9C 64k campac out. This will give me a back up on all 24 planes which I can then copy up to the 9CS, slot 1 (the temp transfer slot) via the radio then to the 2nd 64K 9CS campac. Does that sound right? The first 64K 9C campac should still work in the 9C right? Thanks again. Jack
Old 10-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Campgems

Put your CamPac in the radio and then step up through the models. When you reach the end of the built in memory, you will see an indication that the campac is being read.

I would plan out what sequence you want your models to appear in the list. Once you have that figured out. using the above info, you can lay out a copy plan for what you want.

My 9C super has 12 "built in" models when I reach 13, the Slelct> shows 13->01 (T9c), Assuming I have selected model 01 previously. When I select Model 12, then scan to 13, the display indicated 13 ->12 (T9C) This would indicate to me that if you select a model off the Campac, it will over write which ever model you have selected, not just model 01. The Campac I'm using here is an after market one. The one I

This bears some investication. This is after I initalized the Campac in the 9C super

This may be a good topic for the Futaba forum, I'm a bit reluctant to experment more, for fear of screwing up some data in the TX.

Don
Old 10-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Campgems

Arghhh. Ijust went to check something out on my Fun * and things were wacky. I found that I had royally screwed up my models in the 9C Super. Ilost the Fun * all together and I'm not sure about the others. O"Boy, I get to program again, a lot.

I checked the 10C and and my ailerons on that model are screwed up also. It had been an easy transer to the 10C and I flew it a couple times with no issues.

Don