Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Gyro Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 12:13 PM
victorzamora

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyro Help

Hey guys, does anyone have experience with both the Spartan and the GY520? Price between the two is not an object. Please don't just emote here. I really need a decision to be made between the two. I like the GY520 better because it's so pretty. However, the Spartan deals with higher voltages (not a problem now but it might be). Also, the Spartan has the USB Link for updates. The GY520 only has the USB link to change settings. I'd be getting the USB link for whichever one I buy. Let me know which one I should go with and why.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:57 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: Gyro Help

Flip a coin, they are both great gyros.

I prefer the feel of the 520, pair it with a BLS251 and it's small, light, and bullet proof.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:14 PM
victorzamora

Yeah, I know. I was hoping that someone would have SOME insight beyond that, though. However, that's the only answer I've seen so far.

EDIT:
BTW, This is going on a Trex 450 SEV2 if that changes anything.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:17 PM
BarracudaHockey

Well I don't own either one but I've flown both on the same type heli and if I were going to buy one right now it would be the 520 but I'm comfortable with Futaba gyros.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:08 PM
victorzamora

I gotcha. I'm torn because I've got a great deal, for the same price, for a Spartan and a 520. Both are NIB. I figure that Futaba's top-of-the-line Gyro isn't going to need upgrades for a while. It just came out (like March, right?). So, it's not that big of a deal that it's not updatable.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:00 AM
victorzamora

Alright guys, I decided on the GY520 if I go with a single-axis gyro. However, I've been looking at FBL. I've only got about 25 flights on helicopters (I have done aileron tocs, flips, loops, rolls, inverted, and piro flips...so it's not like I'm really new to this) if that makes any difference.

For the $150+ I'd pay for a GY520 I can almost get a Gaui GU365. I found a free flybarless head mod. What should I go with? Top of the line 1-axis gyro or budget 3-axis gyro?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:52 AM
BarracudaHockey

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you've only done 25 flights you're not going to be able to tell the difference between two high end gyros. Differences are subtle and have more to do with feel and preference than performance. A 401 will hold the tail just fine if set up properly.

As for flybarless, its cool, and probably how they are going to all end up eventually, but they still take a good bit of tinkering and expertise to get setup correctly and add a layer of complexity to an already complex machine.

All my general flyers are flybarred, my only FBL is for scale.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:18 PM
victorzamora

Sounds good. Since I've loved the GY520 since it came out...and you're right, I won't be able to tell the difference. So...I'm going to order the GY520. Also, I don't need any more complexity added to learning this. What I'm going to do is just order it and fly.

I know that a GY401 would do well enough, but I'm upgrading from a servo that's given me issues. If I'm going to spend the money for a 401, I'll chip in a little extra and get one that I'll never outgrow.