Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Fastest servos for .50 sized aerobatic airplanes

Old 10-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fastest servos for .50 sized aerobatic airplanes

Hello,

I'm looking for the best servos available on the market in terms of response time for my aerobatic plane powered by a .50 sized engine. What would be your ideal choice ? (JR preferred)

Thanks !
Old 10-10-2009, 02:28 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Fastest servos for .50 sized aerobatic airplanes

Hi!
Why the best servo for a small .50 airplane???
Just choose any of the middle range priced Futaba, JR or Hitec servos and you will be fine!
Old 10-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Strykaas

Just choose any of the middle range priced Futaba, JR or Hitec servos and you will be fine!
That's what I've done so far. But I find them slow, maybe is that due to the 4.8v batts I use (some guys use 6v batts, which makes servos faster).

Actually, I've seen several vids here on rcu where tail surfaces were moving very fast (you know, during the pre-flight checks...). That has to have an impact on airframe response
Old 10-10-2009, 05:26 PM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look here
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo.../JR_Servos.pdf
Pick the fastest ones.......
maybe these http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=JRPS8417
Old 10-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, just keep the servos you have and invest in a good 6volt battery pack. You will definitely feel a big difference in speed and power.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:43 AM
Strykaas

I would move on to 6V but I've read so many servos failure reports which are probably related to running on 6V... So I'm kind of reluctant !
Old 10-11-2009, 06:29 AM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

I would move on to 6V but I've read so many servos failure reports which are probably related to running on 6V... So I'm kind of reluctant !
I would love to hear 1 credible story about a servo that is rated for 6 volts that has failed for using 6V battery. Almost everyone who flies giant scale aircraft uses 6V batteries, usually 2 of them to their receivers. For the tens of thousands of servos being used by giant scale guys, servo failure is rare. We have a whole lot to lose in a giant scale aircraft than your little .50 size airplane

I'd be curious to know what servos you are using now and to know your flying style (some aerobatics, aggressvie aerobatics, Sunday flyer, some 3D, down on the deck 3D, Basic IMAC, advanced IMAC)

If you are not moving your sticks on the radio any faster than the servos are already moving, than faster servos are not going to do any good. If you are very aggressive and moving the sticks very quickly, than faster servos may be needed.

I don't think it makes any sense to put $100 servos in a small airplane, if you really want to improve how your small airplane flies, maybe it's time for you to get a giant scale airplane
Old 10-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Strykaas

rcairflr,

Most servos are indeed rated for 6.0V. Have you ever measured voltage on your "6V" pack right after charging it ? Way over 6.0V... Well maybe you use some kind of regulator ? That might be the key. But maybe too heavy equipment for a small airplane.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:53 AM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

I don't use regulators and none of the guys I fly with use regulators and we all use 6V packs, Nimh and A123... Good luck in your choice.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Strykaas

Thanks for you input rcairflr.