RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Waterlogged RX and servos

Old 03-31-2002, 02:38 AM
EkRr
My Feedback: (51)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Waterlogged RX and servos

I put my plane in a pond today (not on purpose). The RX and servos were waterlogged for about 40 minutes. I got the plane back and am letting everything air dry. The RX obviously had power when it went in. If everything works when it drys, can I trust them? I am probably going to send the RX back to Hobbico to be safe, but what about the servos?

Thanks
Old 03-31-2002, 06:15 AM
bugsiegel
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default ?

How would you feel if you put the next plane back into the SAME pond because of an control failure?
with me any servos or receiver queston, at all, get a white dot painted on them... the servos make good throttle servos and the receiver makes a good bench receiver.
If you start to build up too many receivers and don't feel it's worth it to have them looked at then pass them off for what they are. Many people like to buy and fix, Some people don't like to buy new at all.
Put nicelly,,, for every chair there is an a..
Old 03-31-2002, 06:46 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I once put a RX into the Pacific Ocean, along with the slope soarer it was in. When I opened up the RX, the pins and traces are all corroded away. The servos, however, were somewhat water tight and didn't show any signs of water seepage.

I ended up reusing the servos - but only on my cheap small electric flyer (read dispensable and not very lethal if out-of-control). It was a judgement call on my part.

New RXs are cheap nowadays - a good FM one is less than $50. I'm not sure it's worth sending your water-logged RX into Hobbico for service unless it's a $150 9ch PCM. Pond water is not as strong an electrolyte as seawater, but no doubt some damage still occured. It may work now, but question is: for how long?

As for the servos, open 'em up and have a look see. If there are no signs of water entry and/or damage then make a decision as to whether or not they are worth salvaging.
Old 03-31-2002, 06:12 PM
fourstarforty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default waterloged

I had this happen to me several years ago. If u were in fresh water you should be ok, Take the covers off the servos and receiver and dry out with a hair dryer.This worked great for me however i was only in the water for about 15 minutes. After that accident i now wrap all my receivers in a baggy to protect from water or fuel.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:24 PM
rcaholic
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default "wet" components

I do the majority of my flying on floats. The occasionaly "dunking" is inevitable. I've always disassembled the receivers, and just let them air dry. When dry, they either work, or they don't. Mine always have. I don't think it's a question of reliability at all. The servos - same, dis-assemble, especially the bottom cover of the case so the electronics can dry. I've had a few that didn't work after drying, but none fail as a result of being dunked and dried.
Old 03-31-2002, 11:16 PM
Scotty740

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What you shoud do is flush it as soon as possable with distilled water. I used to do a lot of underwater photography and always carryed a container of distilled water to put the camera/flash in if the water tight housing would spring a leak. This was very important when diving in salt water.

Most modern electronic equipment won't be harmed by just water. It's the minerals in it that causes problems. Flush it good with distilled water and then in a warm dry place till it evaporates. I've used a gas oven with just the pilot light to dry things or even place it over a heat register in the winter.

Commercial electrical companys that repair motors and electrical equipment that has been underwater use the same techniques. They pull apart a motor, flush it out and bake all the moisture out. Then they replace the bearings and it's ready to go.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:01 PM
cassidy
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Water logged gear

Landed in the lake last month, and being from Pa you can bet the retrival was cold.
Since everything was Hitec I sent it to them because while the servos worked the RX was dead.
Will let you know how much it cost me when it is returned.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:56 PM
cassidy
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Rx and servos in the lake

Previously told you that I went into the Lake.
Got my RX and servos back from Hitec today,completely repaired for NOTHING. $00000.00.
Compare this to Futaba, when I had a crash they checked the RX and charged me $28 plus shipping and their diagnosis was NO TROUBLE FOUND.

I use a Futaba TX but all my RXs and servos are Hitec. Their service is increadible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Old 04-13-2002, 11:50 PM
IMAC Buff
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Some pretty goods posts here guys. thanks for all the info.