Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

7C / DX7

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Russell Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7C / DX7

Hi,
I wanted to get some opinions on the newer 2.4 ghz radios out there for my next purchase. I am looking at the Futaba 7C and the Spektrum DX7. They are both in my price range and have the features that I am looking for. I have been in this hobby for 20+ years and have always used Futaba until I recently bought an electric heli and tried the DX7. I liked it and it worked flawlessly, but don’t see it used a lot in fixed wing aircraft locally.
I was hoping some of you that have used both could give me an opinion on these and help steer me in the right direction.
Thanks…
Old 10-30-2009, 12:52 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: 7C / DX7

The biggest cost in switching to 2.4ghz is that of the receivers. Look at what you'll need, what the price points are, and what the options are. There can be some big differences in total cost.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:04 PM
codimasta
My Feedback: (89)

[8D]Since you already have a DX7..just buy a receiver for your fixed wing aircraft and enjoy

Codimasta
AMA 11269
Old 10-30-2009, 06:31 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do not have much of an investment in older 72Mhz Rx's, and you don't have any 2.4Ghz stuff, now, then you can go with any 2.4 system you like.

Try and get your hands on someon else's radio or one at a Hobby Shop or Trade Show and see how it feels. Look at the programming and figure out how many channels you might possibly need.

Look at the availability of Rx's in the size you noumally use. If you fly many small Park Flyers, some manufacturers have more of a variety than others in Micro and Mini.

If you already have a Tx that takes removable RF Modules, you could always buy a 2.4 Module for it and be able to fly 72Mhz and 2.4.

If you just want a new 7ch 2.4 Tx and do not need compatibility with the older 72Mnz stuff, then a DX7, 7C, etc., will do fine. There are other manufacturers that have 2.4 products, such as Hitec, Airtronics, and others.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Russell Bear

ORIGINAL: codimasta

[8D]Since you already have a DX7..just buy a receiver for your fixed wing aircraft and enjoy

Codimasta
AMA 11269
Oops, sorry I failed to mention I "had" the DX7. I sold it with the heli. I did like it though just didn't know how it held up to longer distances and a different vibration frequency. (Electric vs Gas)

Thanks...
Old 10-30-2009, 06:57 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used several AR6100 in electric aircraft and never a problem. On aircraft is the Eflite Beaver which requires a Full Range Rx. I have used the AR7000 and AR9000 in Glow, Gas, and Turbine Jets. They are fine. I have friends who have used the Futaba equivalents, as well.