Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Converting my JR 9303 to 2.4 with no wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:29 PM
acehallmark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting my JR 9303 to 2.4 with no wires

I am considering converting my JR 930 to 2.4 but I do not like the messy wires hanging in the back that go between the module and the antenna. I have seen a guy on here in RCU selling his converted 9303 with no wires in the back. I was just wondering if anyone here knew how to do that, or could point me in the right direction. Thanks, AceHallmark
Old 11-26-2009, 08:33 AM
Rickochet

Default RE: Converting my JR 9303 to 2.4 with no wires

This was posted on another forum but this might be an option.

If you want to keep your 72Mhz antenna installed and run Spektrum, just get one of these. I use FASST and Spektrum modules in a 9C, this works very well on the Spektrum module. Many folks use them, same gain as the stock antenna. It attaches directly to the Spektrum module.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=145
Old 11-26-2009, 08:47 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did mine with one of these: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH1058

You have to open the spektrum module, VERY carefully disconnect the little coaxial connector from the board - the one with the little wire that goes to the antenna connector.

Remove the antenna connector from the case, it's a 5/16 or 8mm nut. I put in a 1/4" hole plug from the hardware store (one of those small snap in black plastic ones) to fill the leftover hole.

Carefully drill a hole (1/4" or so) in the topside of the spektrum module, where it would be plugged into the radio case. I didn't take any pictures.. sorry. Remove the back cover of the TX, drill a matching hole in the bay where the module sets. You won't see these openings when the module is in place.

Remove the 72mhz antenna, install the 2.4G with the wire coming into the radio through the mounting hole. Thread the wire through the hole in the TX that you drilled (I put a rubber grommet in this hole to protect the wire). Thread the wire into the spektrum module housing - it's sort of like sewing it all together.

VERY carefully snap the little coax from the new antenna on the connector on the Spektrum board. Put the module back together (it's tough, you have all of this stuff strung together at this point, be careful). Snap the module into the back of the TX, put the back of the TX back on.

The module is no longer removable, but it's nice and clean, no external wires. I like mine..

The antenna has approximately the same gain / same pattern as the one that's provided with the spektrum module, so it should work just fine.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Rickochet

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2
I did mine with one of these: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH1058
That looks exactly like the antenna on my DX5e. Nice find fizz.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:56 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no need to do any of that. Just buy one of these;

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=145

Screw it onto the back when you want to use it, remove it when you want to put the Tx in a case.

This way you can switch to a 72 mhz module with no modification.

I used this setup for 2 years, it works great.

TF

Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2009, 01:36 PM
DeepSouth
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks guysI think I will go with the little antenna from sparkfun.com. The other method is a little more than what I want to tackle, but good idea thanks guys. Now I just have to get the module, Horrizon is out of stock but should be in soon.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Rickochet

ORIGINAL: DeepSouth
Thanks guysI think I will go with the little antenna from sparkfun.com. The other method is a little more than what I want to tackle, but good idea thanks guys. Now I just have to get the module, Horrizon is out of stock but should be in soon.
Check at Todd's Models

http://www.toddsmodels.com/Spektrum_Modules_s/87.htm