Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

A123 Batteries & Futaba Receivers

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:46 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A123 Batteries & Futaba Receivers

I was just told Futaba does not suggest using unregulated 2 cell A123 batteries with Futaba receivers. Does anyone know if this is correct/ thanks.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:10 PM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A123 Batteries & Futaba Receivers

Well they don't discourage 5 cell Nixx. So out of curiosity I measured my A123 packs fresh off the Cellpro 4S charger with a digital meter no load and have not seen over 7V, with 5 cell Nicds I'll get more like at least 7.2V. I don't know where they're coming from[&o]. Next season, all my wet powered models will be using A123 packs. No problems this year with my 26cc gas powered Yak with an R617FS and Hitec digitals[8D]
I think it's just a CYA response.
Pete
Old 11-30-2009, 08:37 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Pete, I don't know for a fact that what I was told was truth or fiction. But I was thinking about going that direction. using an Futaba 6008 receiver
Old 11-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Campgems

Iwouldn't worry abou the receiver as much as servos. The receiver will regulate the voltage to what it works with, something like 3.5V. That is within reason though. The servos though need to be able to operate at voltage. I know that there is one Futaba servo, a 1/4 scale size that will not work on 6V, but I was told that if I put a regulator on and held it to 5.8V or less they would be OK. If yourservos are rated for 6V, you will probably bejust fine.

Don
Old 11-30-2009, 09:13 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using A123's with Futaba recievers for the last year and a half, no problems at all. Most Futaba servos will handle the voltage also. I believe the only one's that don't are tail servos on helis.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: splais

Pete, I don't know for a fact that what I was told was truth or fiction. But I was thinking about going that direction. using an Futaba 6008 receiver
Well it's somewhere in the Futaba support forum where Bax told a guy that since A123's "had not been tested" with the Futaba radios, they couldn't recommend them outside of the fact that those guys won't recommend anything not Futaba anyway.....

As already mentioned, the voltage isn't all that different than a 5 cell NiCD/NiMH so I don't see what the issue is with voltage. Now buss amperage capability is a different story and A123's can put out a BUNCH more amperage than NiCD/NiMH's....