Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Newbie servo wiring question red or white wire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:06 PM
heinrichs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie servo wiring question red or white wire?

Hello, sorry for this newb question but I have a great r/c truck and transplanted the controller from another 7v r/c vehicle. but the original steering servo uses:

orange, black apparently for power
green, blue, yellow, red

and the controller uses:
orange, black, yellow, blue, green and white.

I tried connecting all like colours and assuming white == red but that doesn't work. Can you guys please help? I tested voltace across all posts with black, and found slightly varying voltages. Still no idea how to translate this to the steering motor/servo. Any advice on how to figure this out would be very much appreciated.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:09 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie servo wiring question red or white wire?

ORIGINAL: heinrichs Hello, sorry for this newb question but I have a great r/c truck and transplanted the controller from another 7v r/c vehicle. but the original steering servo usesrange, black apparently for power green, blue, yellow, red and the controller uses: orange, black, yellow, blue, green and white.I tried connecting all like colours and assuming white == red but that doesn't work. Can you guys please help? I tested voltace across all posts with black, and found slightly varying voltages. Still no idea how to translate this to the steering motor/servo. Any advice on how to figure this out would be very much appreciated.
Servo - Wiring Diagrams = use with other brand RX.

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 12-06-2009, 11:23 PM
heinrichs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Alan ... I'm too inxperienced to know what to do with that though. My servos have the 6 wires I describe ... all the ones on that site have only power +, power -, and signal. I'm assuming those 6 wires feed a signal back to the controller, letting it know the position of rotation of the motor ... because I get a signal to the motor when I adjust the L-R stick, but when I keep it stationary at any point, zero volts ... meaning I assume at that point, the feedback siugnal instruction is to stay as that rotation.

Again ... I know nothjing about Servos, and am faced with this wire colour issue. I assume if I solder the right combination of wires onto the right combination of controller outputs, all will woirk great. Ire-soldered the original servo that came with the controller, it works perfectly.

Now, I was intending to instal the original servo .. but there appears to be no way for me to get into the casing for the servo in the truck. Icould sit here and disassemble the entire truck back to fro9nt, but I'd rather not. It seems to be a unibody mostly with a centre driving shaft from the rear (engine) to the front (4x4 transaxle). So all I need is the combination of wires to solder ... we're talking about6 x 6 x 6 x 6 x 6 x 6 = 46656 permutations LOL!!! Actually I lucked into the orange and black apparently being the same (servo motor power) so leving the rest I still have 7776. As you can see, math isn't my strong suite either.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:19 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: heinrichs Thanks Alan ... I'm too inxperienced to know what to do with that though. My servos have the 6 wires I describe ... all the ones on that site have only power +, power -, and signal. I'm assuming those 6 wires feed a signal back to the controller, letting it know the position of rotation of the motor ... because I get a signal to the motor when I adjust the L-R stick, but when I keep it stationary at any point, zero volts ... meaning I assume at that point, the feedback siugnal instruction is to stay as that rotation. Again ... I know nothjing about Servos, and am faced with this wire colour issue. I assume if I solder the right combination of wires onto the right combination of controller outputs, all will woirk great. Ire-soldered the original servo that came with the controller, it works perfectly. Now, I was intending to instal the original servo .. but there appears to be no way for me to get into the casing for the servo in the truck. Icould sit here and disassemble the entire truck back to fro9nt, but I'd rather not. It seems to be a unibody mostly with a centre driving shaft from the rear (engine) to the front (4x4 transaxle). So all I need is the combination of wires to solder ... we're talking about6 x 6 x 6 x 6 x 6 x 6 = 46656 permutations LOL!!! Actually I lucked into the orange and black apparently being the same (servo motor power) so leving the rest I still have 7776. As you can see, math isn't my strong suite either.
Sorry, did not read your first post correctly. Unfortunately those are not standard 3 wire servos, beingcheapest type with all control managed on the main board - and this differs from brand to brand. Knowledge of the brand without a wiring diagram is no help, easiest solution is to bin and install normal RC equipment which is designed to be plug into any vehicle and play - requires new TX, RX , ESC&Servo.
regards
Alan T.