Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

*RDS8000 Setup*

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *RDS8000 Setup*

I am looking at getting a big T-28 Trojan warbird and it Requires a 7-channel radio with 10 servos (2A/2F/2E/R/T/Steering/G). I know I have 8 channels available but am I going to be able to set this up with this radio?
Old 12-11-2009, 07:50 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: *RDS8000 Setup*

You need to be more specific about how many servos per channel you have. I am guessing 2 Aileron servos, 2 Elevator servos, 2 Flap servos, Retract Valve servo, Rudder servo, and Throttle servo. That makes 9 servos. If you use a separate JR Matchbox for Aileron, Elevator, and Flaps, that would leave you with 2 channels free. What is the 10th servo for?

Ideally, you would like to use Canned programs in the Tx to mix channels. Perhaps Differential Aileron, for example.

You should be able to do this with your Radio.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:57 AM
Zippi

BuschBarber,

It requires a 7-channel radio with 10 servos (2A/2F/2E/R/T/Steering/G).
Old 12-11-2009, 09:01 AM
BuschBarber

OK!! I forgot about the Nose-wheel Steering. You will want to Mix the Nose-wheel channel with the Rudder channel.

I would rather use a 10ch radio, put all 10 servos on separate channels, and mix them in the Tx. If you are going to use a 7ch radio, you will need a Matchbox for Elevators and a Matchbox for Flaps. Put the Left Aileron on Ch7 or Ch8 and Mix it with the Right Aileron,

I do not like Y Harnesses, especially on a more expensive aircraft.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Zippi

BuschBarber,

How does the matchbox acually work? Does it allow me to plug the matchbox into one channel on the receiver and then run two channels off the match box?
Old 12-12-2009, 05:12 PM
BuschBarber

The Matchbox replaces a Y Harness and allows you to connect up to 4 servos to one channel. There is a Dial and two buttons on the Matchbox. For each of the four servos, you can adjust Servo Direction, Neutral, and End Points. One of it's primary uses was to allow you to gang 4 servos together, for the Rudder on an aerobatic plane, and match all the servos so they would not fight one another and burn up. You can also use this same device on a BiPlane that has 4 Ailerons with a servo for each one. It is common to use the Matchbox for only two servos, such as with Dual Aileron halves, Dual Elevator halves, Dual Rudders, and even Dual Rudders with a Nosewheel mixed in. Some of the bigger aerobatic planes have two and 3 servos per Aileron half.

If you have a 10, 12. or 14ch Tx, you can many times do all of that by connecting each servo to a different channel and mixing them, but if you only have a 6 or 7 channel radio, then the Matchbox is the answer. Futaba sells a Matchbox type device also.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Zippi

BuschBarber,

Thanks for the info. If I had to use a Matchbox for Ailerons, Elevaor, etc. it would get pretty expensive at $70.00 a pop. I might reverse one servo internally for the elevator and use a "Y" harness. Did this all the time in the past. Use a "Y" harness on the Ailerons as well. This way I could save a couple channels and maybe get it all to work.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:28 PM
BuschBarber

Be careful - some newer servos can't be reversed just by swapping the Pot wires and swapping the Motor wires. One problem you have with a Y Harness is that you have to do more Mechanical adjustments to get both Ailerons to deflect the same. I have had issues with Reversing Y Harnesses as one side tends to drift off of Neutral after a few flights and constantly needs readjusting.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Zippi

BuschBarber,

Never used Reversing "Y" Harnesses, don't care for them. I don't reverse the servos myself. For just a few bucks I always had Servo City reverse the servo for me when I ordered them. Never really had any issues before with setting up the Ailerons with the same deflection. You never know how thing will go until you start setting up all the gear.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:21 PM
BuschBarber

It all depends upon the type of aircraft you plan to fly. A Trainer plane is very forgiving and setup is not a precise as it might be with an Aerobatic plane. Buying the Reverse version of a servo or having the vendor Reverse it is a good idea as long as they stand behind their work. The best thing os tp have a Tx and Rx with enough channels so you can use the Tx to mix multiple servos on a channel.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Zippi

I'm wondering now if the 92824 8CH 2.4GHz receiver will handle 10 servos and not be and overload???
Old 12-17-2009, 06:36 PM
BuschBarber

I would check with the manufacturer. They should know the limitations of their Rx. I would not think you will have a problem, but I have never used that Rx so anything is possible. It is not the number of servos as it is the maximum current that they could possibly draw at any one time. I know with Spektrum Rx's, there was a time when too much current draw would cause a voltage drop that forced the Rx to Reboot. At that time, a Reboot took 4sec. After a Firmware Upgrade, this process is much shorter and most people now use 6v or higher batteries with much higher capacity.

I bought a H9 Current Meter so I could connect it InLine between the Battery and Rx or between an individual servo and the Rx. I could Stall the servo and see how much current each servo would draw. I would then measure the current draw under average conditions and at Neutral.