Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Transmitter question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 02:47 AM
krs74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitter question

Hello all,
This weekend while I was out flying my wing, I had set my transmitter on the back of my truck and my girlfriend put the tailgate down on it without knowing it was there, well... its ruined now, the stick is completely trashed, I took it apart to try to fix it but it made it worse, so at this point I guess I will just buy a new one, my question is, if I buy a new radio, with it work with my old servos and receiver? I really dont want to pull all the old equipment out of the plane and I was just wondering if I can just switch out the crystals or something, anyone know?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2003, 02:55 AM
Lawrenceljh

You gpt it.. All you need is another radio with the same crystal.

Hows that?

Larry
Old 07-07-2003, 03:02 AM
krs74

Ok good, do I have to switch both crystals out or just the one in the radio?

Also, the radio is AM, Im looking on Ebay for a replacement of the same kind but all the radios Im seeing are FM, will an FM radio work so long as I switch the crustals?
Old 07-07-2003, 03:18 AM
Lawrenceljh

AM? Wow it's been a long time since I have heard people using AM radios. But then our area has moved to FM back in 91' it's not avised to use AM radios at our field.

To your questio... the crystals have to be the same. If your transmitter is FM I think your reciever has to be FM also.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:40 AM
strato911

Lawrenceljh is right - If you replace your transmitter with an FM version (highly recommended), you need to change the receiver as well. The batteries and servos can be left as they are.

What brand and model transmitter was it? There are always a few being sold. I just retired my last AM system, which I used up until 2 weeks ago. Sorry, but I don't plan to sell it. If you DO replace the Tx with a used AM system, make sure it is narrow-banded, otherwise it is illegal to use.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:21 AM
krs74

Guys,
I had another go at trying to fix it and was able to get it working, I had some wires switched on the pwb but after reversing them it works fine now.

The internal control stick mechanism was just popped out of the socket so luckily there was no structural damage to fix, just had to take it completely apart.

THanks again!
Old 07-09-2003, 12:26 AM
SDR-Hammer

If your girlfriend is that hard on your R/C equipment, might want to look for new girlfriend to go with that new transmitter.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:18 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Get a Futaba 9C, use the new receiver and the existing servos.
Sell the AM receiver on Ebay.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:31 AM
krs74

Sell it? why? it works fine...