Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

strange radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 03:53 PM
and32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange radio problem

hello this is my first post. Ihave a very weird problem, i have a traxxas t maxx with the std radio gear and it all worked fine up till yesterday, basically when you turn on the electronics it all works fine but as soon as you start the engine after a few seconds it goes full throttle and sticks there for a few minutes, ive tried a different reciever a different transmitter, different crystals and it always does the same, please help because im out of ideas.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Switch_639

Default RE: strange radio problem

that is really strange... try a different servo also maybe... see what happens... then at least its one less possibility...
Old 12-13-2009, 04:11 PM
and32

i did i bought a new throttle servo and a new power switch and the power wires from the batteries to the reciever, i really dont get it why would having the engine on make any difference. I also took the reciever out and held it in my hand incase it was vibration.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:21 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: and32 hello this is my first post. Ihave a very weird problem, i have a traxxas t maxx with the std radio gear and it all worked fine up till yesterday, basically when you turn on the electronics it all works fine but as soon as you start the engine after a few seconds it goes full throttle and sticks there for a few minutes, ive tried a different reciever a different transmitter, different crystals and it always does the same, please help because im out of ideas.
1. Is throttle slide/barrel actually opening, driven by servo? could be incorrrectly set idle or main needle. Fuel delivery problems.
refer sub section "Carburettors, Tuning & Performance Testing, Glow Plugs."
2. RX problem caused by damaged crystal. Metal vibrating on metal, contact causing interference amongst many other possibilities,
refer sub section "Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - causes and cures "

"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Regards
Alan T.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:06 PM
and32

yes the servo is powering it, all the radio freezes in full throttle position when engine is run for a few seconds and then for a few mins after this has happend the entire radio system dosnt work, no control over anything and even if turned on and off the servo goes back to full throttle on its own. I have tried it with and without the failsafe inline too.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:35 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: and32 yes the servo is powering it, all the radio freezes in full throttle position when engine is run for a few seconds and then for a few mins after this has happend the entire radio system dosnt work, no control over anything and even if turned on and off the servo goes back to full throttle on its own. I have tried it with and without the failsafe inline too.
What RXbattery pack are you using? the plastic holders for 4 AA cells have a very high resistance and are often the cause of problems - Never use carbon/zinc batteries for any RX, use only alkaline or re-chargeables.
Does your Failsafe react to low RX battery as well as no TX signal/out of range? What happened? if set correctly, the failsafe should kill the throttle, perhaps it is set to open instead of closing the throttle when TX signal lost (was TXbattery indicator still on "fully charged" or low). Rechargeable batteries will oftem test full with a volt meter, when testing, make sure a load is on them: EXPANDED SCALE LOADED VOLTMETER

Regards
Alan T.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:24 PM
and32

it has new batteries and they are alkaline, i have also checked voltage at the reciever and its 5.9 volts, the problem still happens with the failsafe disconnected and if the engine is off the failsafe works as it should ie if you turn the transmitter off it closes throttle, im sure this fault is impossible its like magic, i think i will try a different reciever again. Can the servos themselves move somehow on there own, would it be worth trying a different servo on the throttle and not having anything else connected to the reciever.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:42 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

Any metal to metal contact, as mentioned above, can cause radio interference. Another source of interference is internal engine parts, especially bearings, that are failing. Just a thought.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:36 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: and32 it has new batteries and they are alkaline, i have also checked voltage at the reciever and its 5.9 volts, the problem still happens with the failsafe disconnected and if the engine is off the failsafe works as it should ie if you turn the transmitter off it closes throttle, im sure this fault is impossible its like magic, i think i will try a different reciever again. Can the servos themselves move somehow on there own, would it be worth trying a different servo on the throttle and not having anything else connected to the reciever.
Try a new servo, the existing one could have a cracked board, damaged lead or connector or even a worn or dirty pot.
If new servo solves problem, check out
Servo - DIY Analysis of Jitters and how to clean Servo & TX pots
Servo - DIY Repair & Stop Jittters. Pictorial pot cleaning and adjust #1
Servo - DIY Repair & Stop Jittters. Pictorial pot cleaning and adjust #2
Servo - How to solve Servo Jitters (inc cleaning TX & RX pots)
In need, as mentioned previously, check out sub sections
"Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - causes and cures"
"Servo - Alterations, Calculators, Databases, Leads, Repairs" under
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:

Regards
Alan T.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:38 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

Also, if the clutch lining is shot, you might be getting metal to metal contact there.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:17 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Never use Alkaline batteries!!!!
Use NiMH cells!!