Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

7.4 V servos - what receiver ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:59 AM
codedlanguage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7.4 V servos - what receiver ??

Hi there,

I got couple of the new 7,4 volts servos from Thunder Tiger and I wonder if any of my receivers will take 7,4 volts without problems.
I use Futaba R 617 FS 2.4 Ghz and Futaba R 6014 HS 2.4 Ghz.

Any advices ?

Thank you !
Old 12-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Rockyaged

Default RE: 7.4 V servos - what receiver ??

Call Futaba for best answer... and voidance of warranty.
Another option is to use a power supply... it will pass the higher
voltages to the servos but drop the voltage to the receiver to
specified voltage range required by the receiver.

Gerald
Old 12-16-2009, 08:17 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

dont know if im getting crazy but i replied one question like this yesterday..maybe other forum....YES it will hold, more of the people in Giant Scale airplanes are using lipos directly to the RX without any problem....which is 7.4V. Also A123 packs that is rated to 6.6V. Fromeco li-ions also are 7.4V. So you will be fine is you want to use high Voltage servos.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:48 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Isn't that the whole reason for high voltage servos? So that you can run these larger batteries without the regulators? I always thought the higher voltage issue was with the servo and not the RX.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:54 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a servo issue. If the servos can take the voltage you should be fine. Just remember that while the Nominal Voltage for 2cell LiPos is 7.4v, the Fully Charged voltage is 8.4v. LithIons are similar. A123 cells are closer in voltage to NiMh batteries.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:16 PM
carrellh

I agree with Gerald (post # 2). Call Hobby Services or ask Bax & Krysta in the Futaba forum.
Your 6014 receiver will cost $200 to replace if the voltage fries it and I doubt that anyone who replied so far to this thread will send you the $200.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:54 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would certainly never recommend someone just hook something up without verifying how much your RX can handle. I was just pointing out that the RX most likely is not an issue and you should not have problems getting everything to work properly.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Russmall

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My only question on this topic is, why do the high voltage servos cost twice as much? I haven't priced the other brands, but the JR's are $200 a pop. That sure seems like a lot to pay, just to avoid the use of a regulator. Am I missing something here? RS
Old 09-10-2010, 12:38 PM
WickedWaggy
My Feedback: (2)

CRAP! Just got off the phone with product support. 6v is the max on any of their recievers, if anybody is interested. Oh well.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: WickedWaggy

CRAP! Just got off the phone with product support. 6v is the max on any of their recievers, if anybody is interested. Oh well.
If you're talking about Futaba rx's, then yes they've pretty much maintained all along that 6 volts was the max but when questioned about the voltage of a fully charged five cell packs which are NiMH or NiCD being over that figure, they've said it was okay but in the same breath said you could not use unregulated A123's which have almost exactly the same voltage.

Then a couple of days ago, Bax over on the Futaba support forum said unregulate Li-Po's can be used on their rx's. So you tell me what's going on?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9987844/tm.htm

This kind of nonsense from Futaba CS is the major reason I don't fly with Futaba gear anymore.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: WickedWaggy

They are required to repeat what Futaba tells them. The actual experience of a large group of modelers shows that to be overly conservative.

First, consider that Futaba is now introducing high voltage servos, the 9070 is the first. There are no receiver limitations stated so how is it they offer HV servos but do not limit the RX if in fact the RX is a problem?

Second, I have personally run up to 12.6 volts in to R6004FF, R617FS, R6008HS, R608FS and R6014HS receivers without any issues. These were all my personal receivers and I connected a freshly charged 3S lipo.

Thirdly, there are many, many people using LiFePO4 packs now. I use them exclusively. They come off charge at 7.4 volts and maintain 6.5 to 6.6 volts across the board during use. This is under load too! Again, no reports of damaged receivers.

I can say without any fear of contradiction that you will absolutely not damage your RX running unregulated 2S lipo.