Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Newbie Radio Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 06:39 PM
dangerguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Radio Question

Hi, I'm fairly new to flying RC planes. In fact, Ijust recently successfully landed my Wing Dragon 4, after about 8-10 brutal crashes.

I'm currently using a cheap 72 MHz radio that came with my plane, and I'm looking to upgrade. Idon't want to spend a lot of money, but I also don't want to outgrow the new radio quickly. Iknow next to nothing about radios and I'm trying to decide between the Spektrum DX5e and the Spektrum DX6i. Do Ireally need more than 5 channels? Does the DX6i have a lot of features that the DX5e doesn't? Also, I'm assuming Iwould want to buy the receiver with the radio? Do Ihave to use the receiver with Bind and Fly planes, or can Ijust program the radio with the plane's receiver info?Sorry if these are dumb questions

Thanks for any input!

-E

Old 12-26-2009, 06:48 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Newbie Radio Question

Get the best 2.4GHz transmitter you can afford. Futaba & JR/Spectrum stand out. Hitec and Airtronics have quality radios, too.

Personally I stay with Futaba because I'm very familiar with the radio software and performance issues. And I really like the FASST FHSS technology.

My 2 cents.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:20 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Between the 2 radio's I would say the DX6I. You did not list the price you were looking at. I fly Airtronics and would say to look at the RD8000 before you put your money down.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751700.asp

No matter what radio you get in the 2.4G, you will be locked into that brand of Rx. For the most part, all servos work with every brand of radio. There are a few out there that do not work with other, but they are becoming fewer and fewer.

Dru.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:24 AM
dangerguy

The DX5e is $100 with a receiver and the DX6i is $200 with a receiver. Wow, why is the RD8000 so cheap? Ihaven't seen an 8 channel near that cheap anywhere!
Old 12-27-2009, 09:38 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dangerguy

The DX5e is $100 with a receiver and the DX6i is $200 with a receiver. Wow, why is the RD8000 so cheap? I haven't seen an 8 channel near that cheap anywhere!
It's cheap because Airtronics was lagging way behind in the radio market and this is their way of trying to buy some market share. You see, once someone uses a particular brand of radio and gets used to it they tend to stay with that brand and they buy receivers to match it.

The RDS-8000 is a darned good radio for the money especially compared to the units you mentioned.

TF
Old 12-27-2009, 10:36 AM
airbusdrvr

I have the Hitec 72 Mhz and JR 2.4 Mhz systems. But I would agree with the Airtronics posters. Bang for the Buck would go to Airtronics. If you are just starting in RC, it will get you many years down the road.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:11 AM
dangerguy

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely consider the RDS8000. Is it Bind-N-Fly compatible?
Old 12-27-2009, 11:28 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: dangerguy

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely consider the RDS8000. Is it Bind-N-Fly compatible?
No.

Horizon Hobby Bind-N-Fly is only compatible with JR/Spektrum 2.4 radios or modules.
Bind-N-Fly have receivers already installed.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:51 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

You may see the same model marked Plug n Play. This version does not include a receiver, so you can use it with most any radio system.

Bind n Fly includes the Rx and sometimes a cheap Tx, as well, but they are JR/Spektrum compatible only.

If you look at the Parkzone FW190 box, it has printing on the box that has two columns - one for BNF and one for PNP which shows what is included. Both versions come with the motor and esc installed.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:43 PM
dutchman25

If you like the bind and fly,  the dx6i and dx7 Sektrum units are an excellent choice.

Each time you buy a bind and fly,  you get another receiver and battery pack and speed controller and servos with the kit.

This makes it easy to go fly all your planes all day without having to move receivers and controllers or servos from plane to plane.

Both radios feature a model memory for atleast 10 planes.  So you can use one receiver with many planes.  The transmitter battery lasts about 15 hours per charge.  So you can truly be a single transmitter flyer with a truck load of planes that are ready to go.

Nothing like turning one into a ground dart and pulling another from you quiver of planes and fly away as if nothing happened.  

Old 12-27-2009, 01:50 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

I agree!! Bind n Fly is a great concept. Easy to get into the air.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:34 PM
The Bluehead

I would stay away from the DX5, not because it is a bad radio, but it does not have a computer system to store multiple models in and the DX5 would have to be bound to each airplane you fly. The DX6i will store 10 models and the DX7 will do 20. The 7 also has more available mixing between channels for complex planes and choppers compared to the 6i. Price is 200 for the 6i and 350 for the 7(roughly). Futaba, JR, and Airtronics also make radios that will work for you. Depends on how much you want to spend to get into it. I do suggest a good computer system in 2.4 and that will be the only radio you will ever need.

Good Luck, Will
Old 12-29-2009, 03:19 PM
dangerguy

Thanks for all the advice!