Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Charging Tx Battery Externally

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 06:50 PM
glide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging Tx Battery Externally

I recently shorted something in my charge jack on my JR Max 6. Everything works fine, I just can't charge my battery through the Tx jack anymore. I saw a few posts about people charging the battery by removing it. I was wondering how you go about doing this? Or if I'm just better off sending it in to be fixed. Or if I'm able to make the fix myself. I really wanted to fly this weekend and don't feel like dealing with sending it in to be fixed. Thanks for any help.

Brian
Old 07-08-2003, 07:54 PM
Steve Lewin

Most Tx batteries can just be unplugged when you open the panel on the back. You then need to make up a lead that fits the plug.

However JR have made a number of very different TXs all called the Max 6. If yours is like my ancient one you're in trouble because the battery is soldered in. There's probably enough room to fit your own plug but it's a bit of a pain. IIRC there's a mini fuse in the charging circuit and that may be all that's gone. You could always open it up and see if you can spot a fuse.

Steve
Old 07-08-2003, 07:56 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Perhaps you should Check the fuse. There is a round glass fuse somewhere in the radio depending on the model and this will commonly blow out when another brand wall charger is plugged in. (Jr is the only one with a negative center pin charge receptical).

John
Old 07-08-2003, 09:47 PM
glide

I think I'm just going to make a lead. I did find the fuse, but I don't trust myself soldering in a tight space like that. Maybe I'll just send it in when the snow starts falling. Thanks for the help guys!!

Brian
Old 07-09-2003, 01:33 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Send it in and have it fixed. If the transmitter works when the battery is charger then the protection diode is probably bad.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:33 AM
glide

Does that mean I will damage my trans. if I keep using it? I was under the impression that I just blew the fuse between the charge jack and the battery.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Lynx

No glide it shouldn't hurt it at all. You probably just shorted out the diode that protects the xmitter from discharging through the charging jack, which if it shorted out no-connect you'd have that problem not being able to charge it.