Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Aren't transmitters receiver specific? RTF jets w/o transmitters.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Aren't transmitters receiver specific? RTF jets w/o transmitters.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Despotes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aren't transmitters receiver specific? RTF jets w/o transmitters.

This is my attempted noob venture into rc planes.
Iplan on buying a jet, but 1st want to purchase a trainer and use a transmitter with it.
I've found a few planes (F22 Raptor,SU47,B2 StealthBomber Pro...)I'd like to get that are ready to fly except they don't include a transmitter and I don't want to buy a transmitter 1st and later realize it's not compatible with the plane's receiver. Aren't theseRTFplanes very transmitter specific and so you can only use certain transmitters for the receivers or can you program any transmitter to accept any receiver?

We need a noob FAQ section.

TIA

Old 01-02-2010, 09:51 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts
Default RE: Aren't transmitters receiver specific? RTF jets w/o transmitters.

Depends on the transmitter and receiver in question.

The BNF (Bind and Fly) series are compatiable with Spektrum DSM2 radios like the DX6i, DX7, and x9303.

Also "ready to fly" may mean you need your own reciever depending on the manufacturers definition of RTF, post a link to the planes in question.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:57 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the world of 2.4Ghz RC Radios, the receiver has to be from the same manufacturer as the transmitter. JR and Spektrum use the same technology, so their 2.4Ghz products are interchangeable. If you purchase an aircraft marked Bind n Fly, it has a Spektrum receiver. You just need to Bind your JR/Spektrum 2.4Ghz transmitter and Fly.

You can buy 2.4Ghz RF Modules and use them in older, Non-2.4 transmitters that accept RF Modules. For example, if you have a JR XP8103, XP9303, Futaba 8AUP, or 9CAP, for example, you can install a Spektrum 2.4Ghz RF Module and still Bind n Fly. The receiver must be from the same manufacturer as the 2.4Ghz RF Module.

There are a number of companies that make 2.4Ghz RF Moudles (Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, etc.), so you have other choices for other aircraft, but only JR/Spektrum for Bind n Fly.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:26 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

I am assuming you are refereing to all the new EDF foam jets on the market today. If you check them out closely, you find that "RTF" (read to fly) is with transmitter and reciever already installed. "RR" (receiver ready) is without transmitter or receiver. "BNF" (bind and fly) is as stated abouve, for JR or Spectrum 2.4. "ARF" is the airframe only, sometimes with a fan installed. Read carfully and research before you buy.
If you are just now getting a trainer, then by the time you are ready for a jet, everything will have changed considerably.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Despotes

Here's an example: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/f_35_ligh...76888_prd1.htm

It's recommending the 1 - SPM2710 DX7 DSM2 7-Channel, AR70200 Rx. Does that mean only that too-much-money-for-me radio will work with this plane? I'd rather buy something in the under $200 range for 2.6GHz.

BananaHobby offers RTFEDF planes with transmitters (cheap), but their reputationappears suspect. I'd rather buy from a reputable dealer that offers planes with affordable 2.6GHz 6+ channeldecent transmitters.
http://www.bananahobby.com/1947.html

This one makes no mention of which transmitter or receiver to use.
http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=1490

Old 01-02-2010, 01:26 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

the jet in your link doesn't appear to come with a receiver at all, so you would need to buy both the transmitter and the receiver.

With 9 servos in the plane, it might be using most if not all of the 7 channels of the radio, so a cheaper radio might not be sufficient. You'd have to know more about the plane first.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Despotes

So any receiver will work as long as it is compatible with the transmitter? Just plug and play?

Who sells receivers matched with radio transmitters?
Old 01-02-2010, 02:26 PM
airbusdrvr

You would do well to go to a local RC flying club and get help. As the old saying goes, one picture is worth a thousand words. You can gain a lot by talking to guys at a club. Matching airplanes and radio equipment is not that difficult but, being new to the hobby, you will waste more money than you need to.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:26 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Every radio manufacturer has a line of receivers that will work with their transmitters. 2.4 receivers only work with the transmitter of the same manufacturer or with the 2.4 RF Module if you are using a transmitter with one of those.

Futaba, JR/Spektrum, Hitec, Airtronics, etc.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:02 PM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

You will find that if you just buy one of the EDF jets as a noob, unless you are EXTREMELY talented, you will have a very short flight most likely with disastrous results. R/C flying is a skill that needs to be learned beginning with a trainer and gaining experience to fly other types of aircraft. Depending on where you are in Me., I suggest btaking a ride to Ray & Robin's Hobby Shop near Portland, look around, ask a lot of questions, join a club, join AMA, search the interent but I urge you not to do it by yourself.

R/C Foolish
Old 01-02-2010, 04:15 PM
N429EM

Despotes,
Judging from your inquiries, I'm assuming you're new to RC flying?
If so, please, don't start your hobby experience with a thrust-vectoring jet. It will be very difficult for you to fly, and may very well crash the plane. Thus causing you to be frustrated, disappointed, and lose interest in the hobby.

If you read the reviews for this plane, you''ll see that you need a fairly sophisticated radio system. And, you won't get that with a $200 radio budget.

Please, get some help from a local club, or find an experienced flier, by asking around. Like at your LHS.

Good luck, and hope you enjoy the hobby,
EJ
Old 01-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Despotes

I don't plan on flying until I master a trainer program. I want to use the actual transmitter for the plane with the trainer, but apparently this is going to be difficult considering I don't have a plane yet so I don't know which transmitter to get.

There's a hobby shop somewhere in Waterville. I'll have to check it out.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:53 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But then the next kicker....Don't always trust the local hobby shop.

Visit a club as stated. There are trainers available with TX and receiver and also with basic simulator software. And some of these are quite reasonable.

Not necessarily recommending this but do a search on the following for an example..

Hobbico NexStar .46 Select RTF Trainer Can be under $400 but check with a club with instructor(s)

Comes with transmitter receiver, engine, very basic simulator.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:59 PM
carrellh

You might want to look at something like the E-Flite Apprentice 15e RTF
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2725
It comes with a Spektrum brand radio system and costs $300 for the complete package.

The radio system definitely WILL NOT fly one of the advanced jets but it is plenty good for learning. When you really are ready for the super plane and radio, buy all new stuff and keep the trainer intact for a backup or for 'lazy day' flyinng.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:29 PM
R/C Foolish

You might as well tell him to learn with an air hog setup......
Old 01-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Despotes

I'll likely order the Spektrum DX6i w/ DSM2 AR6200. An F-35C Black Lightning II is on order too. This plane is apparently very easyto fly and very stable.
Next will be the Phoenix Professional Radio Control Flight Simulator 2.5 which is compatible with the DX6i.
I won't attempt toget the plane off the ground 'til I've mastered the jets in Phoenix.

I'm thinking ofdoing a little modding to the plane as I wait.Glassing or simply using water based polyurethane on the bottom and nose.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:39 PM
R/C Foolish

Good luck, In my opinion this is not the way to go to learn how to fly r/c planes. The good side is the radio will still be good to use in a proper trainer when the jet goes into the ground... I have been flying for 15 yrs and I have never seen anybody solo with an edf jet!!!

R/C Foolish