Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR 9503 OR aURORA 9?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 05:43 PM
StevL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JR 9503 OR aURORA 9?

ORIGINAL: nev1

Guys I noticed that my 9503 shows the trim amount as the bar and as a number) on the home screen when adjusted, I don't recall seeing that on my 9303 ? Did I just not notice it ? I guess the back light makes all the difference ! LOL

Yep, you just noticed it, the 9303 had it too.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:54 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Except for some bling it looks pretty good. You have to add the extra's to the 9503 this charts compairs the 9303

http://www.hitecaurora.com/Comparison_Chart.pdf

I don't need bling to fly.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:06 PM
StevL

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

You have to add the extra's to the 9503 this charts compairs the 9303
Also have to adjust the price down to $549. with a 9 channel Rx.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:13 PM
StevL

I also understand the A9 has a resolution of 1024 where as the X9503 is 2048 with the R921 Rx that is included.

May not matter to many, but i also wasn't on the chart.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:25 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: StevL

It's still $90 more and don't forget the free 7ch RX and additional for $40 coupon offer until March 31st for the Aurora. That makes it $50 more with 2 less 7Ch RX's. You can pick those up though for only $100ea!

Apples to Apples (not even comparing features but physical units) Aurora w/9ch & (2) 7ch RX's: $500, 9503 with the same: $750.

Granted the Aurora coupon offer doesn't make it entirely fair and will expire, so consider future RX costs as well. Optima 6: $50, 7: $70, 9: $100 (all full range capable of flying in any aircraft including full Carbon Fiber, Giant Scale and Turbine Jet's!)

Mike.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:03 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

To be fair, a person has to be a pretty uninformed consumer to pay $100 for an AR7000. $80 is the street price.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:09 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

What are the warranties for Aurora vs JR=I believe the Aurora is one year and Jr is for 3 years.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:32 AM
rorrock

ORIGINAL: MikeMayberry

ORIGINAL: StevL

It's still $90 more and don't forget the free 7ch RX and additional for $40 coupon offer until March 31st for the Aurora. That makes it $50 more with 2 less 7Ch RX's. You can pick those up though for only $100ea!

Apples to Apples (not even comparing features but physical units) Aurora w/9ch & (2) 7ch RX's: $500, 9503 with the same: $750.

Granted the Aurora coupon offer doesn't make it entirely fair and will expire, so consider future RX costs as well. Optima 6: $50, 7: $70, 9: $100 (all full range capable of flying in any aircraft including full Carbon Fiber, Giant Scale and Turbine Jet's!)

Mike.
Thats great for the US guys who get the coupons..
However those of us in other countries aren't so lucky..
Old 01-23-2010, 01:16 AM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

Has anyone checked out the new Airtronics offering? SD10G...
I had the XP9303 and wanted to go 2.4. I liked the radio and considered getting the module and buying a couple recievers. I found the Airtronics 10c with 2 10c RXs for $480 shipped from Tower. Pretty hard to pass up. I fly pattern in D4 with Mark Atwood who is an ATX rep so I gave him a call. He flys FAI with a Black Magic and is a top competitor and super guy. Good enough for Mark Atwood, Mike Meuller, Anthony Abdullah, Pete Cosky and Jim Gruntkowsk, Good enough for me. There are now 6 pilots flying the ATX stuff in our division.
Take a look before you spend your hard earned money.
RC
Old 01-23-2010, 01:27 AM
MikeMayberry

[quote]ORIGINAL: rorrock
ORIGINAL: MikeL

To be fair, a person has to be a pretty uninformed consumer to pay $100 for an AR7000. $80 is the street price.
Okay... $710 if you shop around. However, I'm quoting MAP pricing to be fair. The Aurora has sold for less too, so we're still looking at a $250 difference for the same hardware give or take $10 bucks.

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

What are the warranties for Aurora vs JR=I believe the Aurora is one year and Jr is for 3 years.
Hitec has a 2-year warranty, but I would encourage you to search the subject. It's fair to say that we both offer excellent service but the additional year offered by JR is really never realized; let's just say that Hitec is very lenient when it comes to our warranty!

Thats great for the US guys who get the coupons..
However those of us in other countries aren't so lucky..
Sorry! [] They should have!

Mike.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:35 AM
rorrock

Sorry! [] They should have!

Mike.
Mike are you saying that all Aurora's, regardless of country should have the coupons in them.
If so, it could be the dodgy distributor here in Australia Holding them back...

Rob
Old 01-23-2010, 02:10 AM
MikeL

Mike, I like your willingness to promote the product and get your hands dirty. I've got an X9303 that I'm largely happy with, so it'll be a few years before I start shopping for a replacement.

What I'd need to switch is a range of receiver products comparable to Horizon's offerings. That, and no exposed wire to the antenna. That last part is just a deal-killer. I know you guys have some good receivers in the pipeline, but that wire... oh my.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:32 AM
MikeMayberry

Mike are you saying that all Aurora's, regardless of country should have the coupons in them.
If so, it could be the dodgy distributor here in Australia Holding them back...

Rob

No, sorry, that's not what I'm saying. It's that they should have done a similar promotion as it made the release of a great product even that much better and more desirable. In fact, there are many, many cases of people selling their existing systems because buying an Aurora w/3 RX's was so affordable.

Mike, I like your willingness to promote the product and get your hands dirty. I've got an X9303 that I'm largely happy with, so it'll be a few years before I start shopping for a replacement.

What I'd need to switch is a range of receiver products comparable to Horizon's offerings. That, and no exposed wire to the antenna. That last part is just a deal-killer. I know you guys have some good receivers in the pipeline, but that wire... oh my.
Yea... that's me, not afraid to ruffle a few feathers! But ultimately if you follow any of my posts, my passion is to help our customers. I just try to recruit more than others along the way!

"Largely Happy?!?!" That sound's a little lack luster... if you read the Aurora owners reports they are "Ecstatically Happy!" Giddy almost. Sorry, just havin a little fun with ya!

It's funny that your antenna observation was shared by many and was a big topic of discussion prior to the Aurora's release.... it's now pretty much a non issue when people see how incredible the radios is (don't take my word for this, these are the words of its owners.) Anyway, it can be routed internally with not too much effort, but again, it's not really a big deal because it's tucked so tightly to the back of the radio. One "Con" in a sea of "Pro's!"

While there is no ultra micro RX (Yet,) the Optima 6 & 7 are perfectly suitable for Park Flyer's weighing 15/17g respectively and can get down to 7/9g with minimal effort. The Optima 9 has a 20A bus, so in most cases you don't need additional power distribution. You can certainly fly anything from indoor foamies to GS with the current line up.

Mike.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:01 AM
MikeL

I've had only a handful of products that make me ecstatically happy. I'm a technology snob, and I expect an awful lot out of the products I use. "Largely happy" isn't faint praise from me. If it wasn't what I perceive to be the best product for my individual needs, I'd switch. I'm not married to any particular brand or way of doing things. I just use whatever I perceive to be best for me.

It's quite obvious that Hitec has put a lot of thought and effort into the A9. How could you get so close to getting it right, and then leave that one little nagging bit that lacks any sense of refinement hanging from the back of the case? It's that sort of extra effort at polish and thought that makes a good product great. Conversely, products that lack that level of polish make wonder about what other details may have been forgotten or found not to be worth the effort of refining. It can make an otherwise good product less appealing.

I'm in no way suggesting that Hitec's engineers got a bunch of stuff wrong. I'm just saying that having missed what to me is the obvious thing creates doubt, if that makes any sense. I'm up way too late.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:08 AM
PLANE JIM

well Mike-on your warranty you might would like to enlighten your distributor Tower Hobbies-this is the cut and paste from the website of Tower on the Aurora

"One year limited warranty through manufacturer beginning at date of
purchase"

I have searched the subject as you say but what I am finding is different than what you are stating-And I guess the third year of warranty over the published one year of warranty may not be an issue unless there was a problem-

My statement still stands JR has a longer warranty the Aurora-and I have found nothing else in writing that suggest different.

The 9303 is a fine piece of equipment that has a great reputation and if I was going to buy a new radio-it would be a JR-great product, great service, and well known.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:20 AM
AJsToyz

Steve,

Yup, no 2048 res, but for some that won't matter for some it will. Going 9 channel to 9 chanel there is only 100.00 difference. The biggest thing I would have liked to see was the Model Match or something close to it. I fly for fun and don't really need the 2048 , but the receivers being 90.00 less for the 9 channel and 30.00 less for the seven channel does really help me out. I have two planes that I would LIKE , not need , to have 9 channel receivers. I can get around with a "y" harnesses but I don't like to if I don't have to, thats just me.

I have been kicking around getting the X9303, but didn't like not having the back light. Then the Aurora came out, now the X9503. If the Aurora never showed up I'd be there on the X9503 but I'm going to try the Aurora. If it doesn't work out, I can always trade up later.

I don't think you can beat the service with Hitec or JR ,so no complaints either way there. One month out of my one year warranty on my F brand 7C the screen just stopped working. That being said, I need a little more than a year warranty to keep me happy.

Andy

I think the JR's were 189.00 now 169.00, makes the receivers 70.00 cheaper from 90.00

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRPR921
Old 01-23-2010, 11:20 AM
nev1
My Feedback: (10)

Guys I am a huge JR Fan have been for years. I flew Futaba for years and in the days of the first 7ch digital radios when PCM was introduced I had two new Futaba TX's with faulty pots on the one Stick...I had two mishaps and was pissed. The Hobby shop at the time upgraded me to their state of the art JR 347 radio...I still have it it is like a tank. What an overkill for what it does what complicated menus and enough knobs buttons and switches to make you dizzy. I find it amusing to look at now days but JR always made solid product and Horizons support is fantastic. Then again I almost went Futaba again a few years ago but just preferred the feel of the JR. last year the 9303's had an issue with the way the pot wires were run inside the radio, guys lost planes over that too. Just last year Futaba had an issue with the one RX getting hot and causing problems...that too was plastered all over forums....the bottom line is it is all electronics....anyone can have an issue.

When it comes to the 9503 I think it is still a great radio, the few updates make it a little more with the times than the 9303 and although both lack some of the programing ease of some of the higher end radios. Bottom line it is a decent radio and the range of receivers are GREAT and available NOW. If I did not have as much Spekrtum JR equipment as I do I would have tried the A9, touch screen,smart programming,telemetry that will grow, firmware that is end user upgradeable is a big plus and in time they will have multiple Receivers just like JR. Running the antenna inside is a no brainer and if you fly 2.4 only and that bothers you it is not a big deal.

I think the perfect radio is the one that does everything you need it to for you. Today it is JR tomorrow it is Futaba and next year it is Aurora and Airtronics....Go with the one you fall in love with and feels right and go with one that you can get help with at the local club...they will all do what you need them to and then some. Don't bash products because you feel the need to justify your choice...rather advise others so they make a choice based on facts and experience of others.

I just got my 9503 and I love it....for me the one feature it lacks is on my larger bipe planes I am forced to use a matchbox on the wing..but this little ingenious device is only $40 and the next step up for me to fix the problem would be the 11x which may never get here or the 12X which is 2 x the price of the 9503 so for me sticking with JR...the 9503 is just right...also being able to re-import all my stuff from my 9303 was a bonus the idea of reprogramming all my models made me feel ill.

Anyway food for thought with all that being said....I think Hitech has done a super job with the A9 and I think their thinking with the design is where radios should be but they have one radio the other guys have many if other manufacturers launched 1 TX that blows away all their others they would destroy their potential for a range of market share they currently have, they would struggle to sell their high end radios at the price they are and their mid range radios would fall away because buyers would be willing to spend little more to get a lot more...Just my opinion. Hitech support is also superb so less warranty would not concern me...and the fact that firmware is user upgradeable at least any bugs can be ironed out inexpensively (unless you have a mishap finding one !)

Good luck with your choices.....
Old 01-23-2010, 12:14 PM
AJsToyz

I'm with you ! I feel the radio for me is the Hitec, but others will disagree and I'm good with that. Thats why there are so many products for us to choose from! I do think if the Aurora with the lower price did not come out you would not have seen the X9503,WITH the lower price.

Andy
Old 01-23-2010, 01:15 PM
MikeMayberry

I've had only a handful of products that make me ecstatically happy. I'm a technology snob, and I expect an awful lot out of the products I use. ''Largely happy'' isn't faint praise from me. If it wasn't what I perceive to be the best product for my individual needs, I'd switch. I'm not married to any particular brand or way of doing things. I just use whatever I perceive to be best for me.

It's quite obvious that Hitec has put a lot of thought and effort into the A9. How could you get so close to getting it right, and then leave that one little nagging bit that lacks any sense of refinement hanging from the back of the case? It's that sort of extra effort at polish and thought that makes a good product great. Conversely, products that lack that level of polish make wonder about what other details may have been forgotten or found not to be worth the effort of refining. It can make an otherwise good product less appealing.

I'm in no way suggesting that Hitec's engineers got a bunch of stuff wrong. I'm just saying that having missed what to me is the obvious thing creates doubt, if that makes any sense. I'm up way too late.
The big reason for the wire is because the Aurora is (will be when the Spectra Pro synth module is available) 72mhz compatible. Other manufacturers attach the antenna to the module where we chose the wire route to locate the antenna in the conventional place. This is also the exact same module that can be used in all Hitec and most Futaba module based radios. In the Aurora though it interfaces digitally so not to add latency through the PPM circuit. Hitec does now have a module that has the antenna attached which we will be available shortly, but I see it only as advantage if you plan to swap back and forth between 2.4 and 72 so you don't have to swap antanna in and out. If you get a chance to touch and feel the Aurora I think you will find there is a high level on refinment! There are many new Aurora owners that ditched their 9303 to step UP to the Aurora.

Cheers!

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

well Mike-on your warranty you might would like to enlighten your distributor Tower Hobbies-this is the cut and paste from the website of Tower on the Aurora

''One year limited warranty through manufacturer beginning at date of
purchase''

I have searched the subject as you say but what I am finding is different than what you are stating-And I guess the third year of warranty over the published one year of warranty may not be an issue unless there was a problem-

My statement still stands JR has a longer warranty the Aurora-and I have found nothing else in writing that suggest different.

The 9303 is a fine piece of equipment that has a great reputation and if I was going to buy a new radio-it would be a JR-great product, great service, and well known.
Hitec's warranty is two years so Towers info in incorrect. Here's the statement on our website: All Hitec RCD products are warranted against defects for a period of two (2) Years from the date of purchase. During this period we will repair or replace at our discretion any defective products. You should always retain your original receipt as proof of the date of purchase. http://www.hitecrcd.com/pages/support/33#how

So you are correct that JR has a stated one year warranty longer but it's unlikely that that would make one bit of difference or cost our customers more money. We rarely charge for repairs regardless of the warranty where other companies draw a hard line in the sand and charge where ever possible. Again, there is no evidence that the warranty difference is an advantage in any way other than on paper.

It is true that the 9303/9503 are fine pieces of equipment, well know and backed by good service. So is the Aurora and Hitec, it's not like we're the new kids on the block! The question is, is it worth spending more money on a product up front and then on the back end every time you outfit a plane for a radio that offers less features/functionality and is ultimately harder for most to program?

So, spend more, get less or spend less, get more? That's really what it boils down to, but if that is not enough... so be it. I'd still encourage everyone debating between what radio to get to read the feedback in the Aurora thread. Here's an example below that was posted yesterday.

ORIGINAL: flycolorado

Got half-a-dozen flights on the A9 now, I'm slowly getting used to it. It's amaizing how a new radio can make you have to learn how to fly your familiar aircraft all over again. I'm pretty comfortable with my Yak-54 (90 size), took some getting used to and a little trimming as well (I had changed the CG as well though). That darn reciever is so light I had to move weight back to compensate for it! You heli guys will love the programming of this radio as well as some of the cool features (swash servo calibration!). It took me a little while to figure out how to get the 120 ccpm servos moving in the same direction but once I found the swash calibration screen it was a snap. By the way I have not cracked the manual for programming or looked online once and I've programmed a 1/4 scale H9 cub (flown), 120 Yak (flown), a heli (have yet to fly), as well as my ClearView flight sim (flown a billion times). I have s special model saved just for the sim so I don't mess with a real model. As for the battery, last weekend it was nice enough for me to spend a day at the field flying and I got in 5 (or 6) flights (2 @ 7 min, 3 @ 12 min) and the display showed 70% battery remaining. I don't think I'm going to worry about a Lipo, but I am going to do the cycle charge jack mod Striker came up with. Striker that is pure brilliance, it is very smple, safe and effective, I Iove it and it makes me mad I didn't think of it first. Thanks to your idea I'll be able to use my ACE Supper Smart Charger for another 10 years! By the way I will need a neck strap balancer (NSB), sorry all you purists, I just cant fly with thumbs and hold the transmitter at the same time (I can't chew gum while I fly either!) and this thing does not hang well at all. Any how, I found the ''pretty red one'' (Mike showed but failed to fess up to where to get it), finally online and ordered one. Once I get it in I'll report on how it works as well as where I found it. They've got some neat stuff but I'll wait to give you the ''HTTP'' untill I get my order and verify they are worthy of the PR. One last note about the display, it may not be as hard to read as I first mentioned. I was able to see how much time was on my timer this afternoon while flying with only a little more effort than my old radio. I will say that I had the sun directly to my back today as I flew till the sun set so It may have helped, but I could read it without loosing sight of my plane (Futaba does have a better display but if it keeps cost down I'll take it and stop complaining). Oh, as for range, I've not had a problem with a gasser and flying to the limits of my vision (long way's out, believe me), no problems at all! Sorry for the book, Hope you guys get them soon, I'm getting ''perma-grin'' from smilling while I read about the back order stories and I've got one with 4 recievers already (dumb luck), Come on summer!

Have fun!
Old 01-23-2010, 06:15 PM
StevL

So, spend more, get less or spend less, get more? That's really what it boils down to, but if that is not enough... so be it.
I think an extra year warranty (say what you want just read the published warranties), 2048 resolution, and not having a digital throttle trim is not getting less. For me it's exactly the right choice.

The A9 is a welcome product as is any new rc products. Now I'm a big Hitec servo fan... love those 5955/7955 and the 625mg on my throttles & chokes.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:19 AM
skorman

Troy Built Models is selling the X9503 for $459.00 (plus $15.00 shipping) with R921 receiver. Best deal out there. I just ordered one myself.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Pippin

Congratulations, good choice.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:56 PM
PLANE JIM

I totally agree -digital throttle trim is a undue liability, extra year of warranty that is a published warranty and not based on someone having a good day at the shop, and the resolution. I picked up and examined the Aurora and went down thru the setups- they were difficult for me but I have used the futaba and Jr products for over 15 years -the transmitter appearance was really basic no frills-which is ok but Hitec does not currently have much choice in recievers and the extra wire is a nusiance. I spoke to a guy using one and he stated he really missed his DX-7.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:50 PM
rorrock

I've been hammering away at what radio to get, I'm getting back into flying after 18 months off and need a radio as I sold my last one to fund moving states.

So I compared all of the ones in the price/channel range i could and came up with the following..

I started in JR and have always liked the radios, however found the 9X (9303) to limited in some of its programing.
The last radio I had was a Futaba 12FG with the 2.4 module and reciever.. Loved it and could afford it at the time.

When I looked at 2.4 to begin with, i went with Futaba as I always liked the idea of frequency hopping.. That and the lockout/power issues that started to crop up with spektrum had me worried..

Now I am getting back into it again, i was looking at futaba and had the chance to get a used 10CHP (for air though) for au$450.. then I found out about the Aurora and started investigating..

I chose the Aurora in the end due to the fact it hops like futaba, but extra recievers wont cost me the earth...
The telemetry is a bonus..

I also like the idea of being able to upgrade firmware (something i could only do with the 12FG)..

Rob

Old 01-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Minnreefer

I have not purchased an upgrade radio yet, but I am planning on doing so in the next month or 2. I still have not decided, but I am really leaning towards the Aurora, mainly because I am on a tight budget and I think the Aurora is a much better deal in the long run. I would prefer the JR or Futaba, but I can not justify the price difference in both the intial investment and the 5-10 recievers that I would like to buy. I also love the telemetry idea.

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.