Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Futaba 9CAP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Futaba 9CAP

Ok radio experts...and everyone else...

I need to upgrade from my current spektrum 5 channel 2.4ghz system to something with more channels. I would love to stick with 2.4ghz, but I have an offer on the table for a like new Futaba 9 CAP pcm with two receivers for 150.00.

I would like to know what everyones opinion is on this system. I have little experience with pcm radios. Actually none at all. I know about the radio impound that I am not having to deal with now and I am fine with that. I fly at small clubs anyway.

I know the initial response would be to stick with 2.4ghz...but for this price I think I could use the PCM for a while, and eventually upgrade the Tx with a module set.

What do you think for a buck fifty?

Thanks in advance,

TonyG

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Futaba 9CAP

The 9CAP is a nice radio I have one and it can be converted to 2.4 with a module and receiver either 7 or 8 ch, I think the 8ch set will cost you about
    300.00 which means you will be into the radio for about 450.00 total. IMO I think would go with the Airtronics RD8000 for about 250.00 and its a 8ch.
    Ira d

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tonyg11780 Ok radio experts...and everyone else... I need to upgrade from my current spektrum 5 channel 2.4ghz system to something with more channels. I would love to stick with 2.4ghz, but I have an offer on the table for a like new Futaba 9 CAP pcm with two receivers for 150.00. I would like to know what everyones opinion is on this system. I have little experience with pcm radios. Actually none at all. I know about the radio impound that I am not having to deal with now and I am fine with that. I fly at small clubs anyway. I know the initial response would be to stick with 2.4ghz...but for this price I think I could use the PCM for a while, and eventually upgrade the Tx with a module set. What do you think for a buck fifty?
    Thanks in advance, TonyG
    A good proven system which can be used with both exisiting module and upgraded with a 2.4GHz module thus you can swap modules and continue to use existing receivers.

Refer to recent thread this forumFutaba 9c conversion with hitec 2.4 system - Report

and especiallyCoupons and Pricing Comparisons

Spectra 2.4/Optima 7 Combo

Hitec RCD Product Details 2009

Hitec RCD Optima 6, 7 & 9ch Receiver Manual

Hitec RCD Spectra 2.4GHz Module Manual

Spectra Pro Antenna Mast Fitting to other than Aurora TX may also be of interest.

Aurora A9 - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips, (includes Spectra Pro and Optima RX features) . {frequently updated}

Regards
    Alan T.
    Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Post Script:
    Spectra Pro 2.4Ghz is also compatible with other Module Type Transmitters that use the same Futaba/Hitec module shape/size/pin slots. e.g.:
    5UAF, 5UAP
    7UAF,7UAFS, 7UAP,7UAPS, 7UHF,7UHFS, 7UHP,7UHPS
    8UAF, 8UAFS, 8UAP, 8UAPS, 8UHF,8UHFS,8UHP, 8UHPS
    (8FGA, 8FGH as non-module radios can not be accomodated).
    9CA, 9CH, 9CAPS, 9CAFS, 9CHPS, 9CHFS
    10CH, 10CA (10CAG or 10CHG as non-module radios can not be accomodated).

R/C hobby consultant for various companies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It is limited to 8ch if you convert to 2.4 and you can only use Futaba PCM Rx's if you want 9ch on 72Mhz. You can use other manufacturer's 8ch PPM Rx's, like Hitec. The 9th channel is only a Switch. It is not Proportional. It is still a good radio with some limitations compared to the JR XP9303.

For the price, I would look at the Hitec Aurora 9. It can be had for just over $400 with a 9ch 2.4 Rx and a coupon for two 7ch 2.4 Rx's. You can use 72Mhz RF Modules and is compatible with Futaba PPM.

The Airtronics 2.4 radios are a good Bang for the Buck.

Of course, the Futaba 7, 8, 10,12, and 14ch 2.4 radios are nice systems but more expensive.

The JR X9303 and 12X are nice radios, as well. JR is coming out with a 9503 and an 11X Zero.

Nice thing about the JR XP9303 is that you can either use 72Mhz RF Modules or Spektrum 2.4 RF Modules. JR sells 9ch PCM Rx's and 9ch PPM Rx's and you can even get 9ch in 2.4. Flight Modes and Flaps on a Switch are a big plus.

Futaba, Hhitec, and JR have Synthesized 72Mhz RF Modules so you can Dial a Channel. JR even has a Synthesized 9ch 72Mhz Rx that can be set to whatever channel the RF Module is set to.
    Rich
    byronf16@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've got a 9c and a 9c super. My plan was to upgrade the 9C Super to 2.4, but when I got to pricing it out. I ended up going with a 10C. Igot the modular one, and there was special that have you a second receiver. Basicly, the cost of the 10C "body" was $40 over the cost of the upgrade, when you factored in the price of the receivers. I am only flying one plane on 2.4 right now, but Istill have my hanger full of 72 recevers in planes and the 10C modular really fits the bill. To bad that Futaba decided to go to dedicated 2.4 or 72 on the 10C.

There are some aftermarket 2.4 sets for the 9C, but I don't have any info on how they perform. The 2.4 RFmodule for the 10C will not fit the 9C, but I believe that the 9C 2.4 moudule will fit my 10C. Dont need it though.

The cost of 2.4 isn't so much the TX as the number of receviers you need if you have a fleet. That is the main reason I went with the 10C, I didn't obsolete any of my equipment.

By the way, $150 with two receivers is an OKdeal, if everything is really "Like new" It's not a great deal though. Two years back, it would have been a steal.

Once you get over the long antenna on the tx and rx, there really isn't that much difference.

Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry but I just don't see the reasoning in buying an obsolete radio and in 72MHz to boot....

I had a 9C Super for several years and thought it was a pretty great radio for a newbie, then as I got into bigger faster models the latency issue with the 9C became apparent to me. Some folks will say it's not an issue but the mismatched elevator actuation drove me to the 9Z which I used for a couple of years as well.

The control response speed of the newer 2.4GHz systems is something you have to experience to believe and is another good reason for sticking with that band besides the possible frequency conflicts on the 72MHz band. The other thing about that band is that lots of "toys" one sees at WallyWorld and even places like Harbor Freight are now coming in the 72MHz band vs. the 27MHz band they used to use, so you can have issues with the uninitiated playing with their toys and can ruin your day.

There are basically two types of 2.4GHz systems and although some folks like to get into arguments about which is technically superior, IMHO it's pretty much a moot argument; they both work. So it kind of comes down to what features you want in the tx, how it feels in your hands and the availability/pricing of rx's for various applications.

When it comes to things like the Bind 'n Fly stuff, that's pretty much restricted to one system/brand which happens to be the one you're using. If that or the number of rx's available is important to you then the Spektrum/JR stuff is probably the way to go. On the other hand, some of the late comers like Hitec and Airtronics are producing tx's with more capabilities but rx availability is currently somewhat limited.

This kind of question usually produces some brand wars, so just take the input you get and look at what's available. What others in your area/club use might be a factor since they can help you with getting to know the radio. It might boil down to which feels better in your hands. If at all possible, you ought to consider hitting the LHS's and see if you can actually hold one in your hands.
    Zeeb