Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Crashed my TRANSMITTER looking for parts.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:54 PM
N5RMQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crashed my TRANSMITTER looking for parts.

Yup... crashed the ole transmitter. It fell off the hood of my jeep and broke off the right stick way down inside the gimbal. Where can I find a parts breakdown and order parts for it. I believe I can change it myself, should be just a little soldering. It is (was) a Futaba 4yf. The right Gimbal, spring loaded L\R U\D. I tried glueing the stick back but it is broken further down inside. Sad day when you crash the transmitter.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Crashed my TRANSMITTER looking for parts.

Iwould suggest shiping it to Futaba or RCSouth for repair. Their experienced eyes will tell if something else is broken and with their experience, the will get it fixed without damaging anything else, and you will get a full tuneup on the TX to boot. Your bottom line cost will be little above the parts cost I'm guessing.

I'm not saying you couldn't do it yourself, Iknow I've repaired small electronics some professionaly. The key though is having the right tools, solder suckers, lifting tools, and who knows what special tool #999 is needed. And, if there is another part needed laterbesides the one you ordered, well then you are out the time.

Say the parts are interchangable, some of the old TX's that are setting on shelfs around the world may provide a parts wearhouse for you. It may be woth seeing if one of your buddys doesn't have one that you could try for parts. Besides it would give you a test run of tearing things down with no penilty if things didn't go well.

Don

Old 01-13-2010, 11:42 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Cheap 72mhz tx (like this one) and many rx's are so cheap they are not worth repairing. I've seen many of the cheaper Futaba tx and rx's go for $10-$15, older computer tx's for well under $100. I know i have a bunch laying around I would like to get rid of -
Old 01-13-2010, 12:05 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excuse the indulgence of a story but the thread title doesn't allow resisting.

Many years ago we were flying from a field that allowed having cars backed up to the flight line. One of the fliers was up high with an aerobatic plane in a downward spin after a snap roll and he suddenly threw his transmitter about ten feet into his open trunk and turned back to watch the plane drill in.

Yep, the stick had collapsed inside the transmitter.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:22 PM
N5RMQ

I watched a newbee with a slope glider, run towards the cliff glider in one hand transmitter in the other and heave the transmitter off the cliff.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:03 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: N5RMQ

I watched a newbee with a slope glider, run towards the cliff glider in one hand transmitter in the other and heave the transmitter off the cliff.
that had to be embarrassing... good story!
Old 01-13-2010, 07:25 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: N5RMQ

I LOVE IT!! That beats me the other night: drink in the right hand phone in the left. Phone rings, you guessed. The cup hand started for my ear
Old 01-14-2010, 05:53 PM
bruce88123

Buy a cheap one on EBAY and pilfer the needed parts out of it. DON"T transfer the crystal or any RF circuit parts. OK to transfer a gimbal.