Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Inexpensive 2.4Ghz system compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:24 AM
skoda450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inexpensive 2.4Ghz system compatibility

OK guys, here is a 9ch system on eBay for $55. If this system is put in use, what are the chances it can be used with other 2.4 Ghz receivers. I don't know anything about it. I am not yet into the switch to 2.4 but this might get me there. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4GHz-9-CH-Radi...3D10%26ps%3D63
Old 01-13-2010, 11:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Inexpensive 2.4Ghz system compatibility

ORIGINAL: skoda450

OK guys, here is a 9ch system on eBay for $55. If this system is put in use, what are the chances it can be used with other 2.4 Ghz receivers. I don't know anything about it. I am not yet into the switch to 2.4 but this might get me there. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4GHz-9-CH-Radi...3D10%26ps%3D63
2.4 systems don't play well together. The protocols used, indeed the transmission methods, are unique and proprietary.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:40 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Do you really want to trust a model (amongst other things) to a radio like that?
Old 01-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Striker

This is the best and cheapest you can ever get. This TX is worth well over 1K

http://www.hitecrcd.com/transmitters/show?name=Aurora+9
Old 01-13-2010, 02:22 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Another question to ask is if this radio is FCC approved. If not you can't use it here. Also no one in the US will work on it. Dennis
Old 01-13-2010, 09:07 PM
skoda450

That's what I expected. Never thought of the FCC issue. I am flush with 72Mhz Futaba hardware so I guess I will just run it till it dies.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:30 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: skoda450

That's what I expected. Never thought of the FCC issue. I am flush with 72Mhz Futaba hardware so I guess I will just run it till it dies.
Skoda- if you have any Futaba radios that take modules to set the frequency you could buy the new 2.4 Ghz Hitec module and receiver sets they are selling. These will convert the Futaba radios to 2.4 using the Hitec 2.4 receivers.

There are threads here about this conversion - seems to work ok, and is a lot cheaper than getting the Futaba conversion sets.
Tower sells them.

Ed
Old 01-13-2010, 11:01 PM
dirtybird

A 2,4GHZ radio does not need FCC approval.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:43 PM
MikeL

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

A 2,4GHZ radio does not need FCC approval.
That'd be news to me. They're Class B devices requiring certification, are they not?
Old 01-14-2010, 11:07 AM
DadsToysBG

All systems that broadcast over the arirwaves must sumit their systems for testing to prove they meet FCC regs. All RC radios that are sold in the US that are legal have a FCC sticker on them with a number that can be checked thru the FCC. The AMA is looking in to radio systems that are sold direct that have not been tested here in the US. Hobby Lobby had a re-call last year because they sold untested radios. Dennis
Old 01-14-2010, 12:48 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The Hitec module is a great little product. Very reasonably priced and you get 2, 7channel rx'ers with it. I converted a 9c to 2.4 a year ago with the Futaba module but the Hitec module offers telemetry and low rx'er battery warning. The Hitec Rx'ers will be cheaper as well. Great stuff.
I have a bunch of 72 mhz stuff if anybody wants it. You pretty much have to give it away on fleabay now anyway.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:43 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

All systems that broadcast over the arirwaves must sumit their systems for testing to prove they meet FCC regs. All RC radios that are sold in the US that are legal have a FCC sticker on them with a number that can be checked thru the FCC. The AMA is looking in to radio systems that are sold direct that have not been tested here in the US. Hobby Lobby had a re-call last year because they sold untested radios. Dennis
Not true.
If you are going to sell or make radios to be sold in the US you need to get a type certification.
But if you are just going to operate one of less than 100mw you don't need to bother with the FCC.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:36 AM
DadsToysBG

You may want to check the AMA regs on radios. If it is not type certified by the FCC it can't be used under the AMA regs. If you want to fly outside of the AMA then take your chances with the quility of the radio and your plane. Without the testing by the FCC you have no idea if the radio meets the standard or the safety of the system. The only things these cheap radios are good for are foamies. Dennis
Old 01-15-2010, 02:54 PM
dirtybird

Those cheap imports must really be hurting your business.
If the FCC had to certify everything before we tried it our hobby would never got off the ground.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:40 PM
My Feedback: (8)

goofed
Old 01-15-2010, 04:05 PM
DadsToysBG

Sorry about the above post. Somebody else was using my computer and I didn't log back in.
Now to Dirtybird. One, your comment about hurting my business is a cheap shot. It has all too do with safety. For your information everything that brodcasts in this country must pass a FCC test. Even your garage door opener has a FCC sticker on it. Two, if it hasn't been tested by the FCC you can't prove it's safe to use. Therefore no insurance coverage from anybody. It's just that simple. Use this stuff if you want to, but don't show up at a AMA field. You can't fly with it. The AMA says all radios must be FCC approved PERIOD.
Here on RCU here are 36" extentions made in China that are 26ga wire. Would you use thenm and the radio in GS planes because their cheaper the 22ga. wire. As long as you are flying in your back yard do what you want, but don't tell people that the FCC testing is not needed. Every radio system we have used has gone thru the FCC. They are the ones that gave use our channels on 72 so no one else would bother us.
These radio may have already been teated or not. I know that Assan has a FCC sticker. Because of this testing our radio have gotten better and better and safer. Take us to the FCC and show us where it says it's OK to brodcast with out having it tested first by the FCC. you can't. Dennis
Old 01-15-2010, 05:05 PM
dirtybird

I worked for General Electric,Boeing,General Dynamics,Honeywell, Lockheed Martin,and the Eaton Co.
I worked on various Radar sets,Lunar Orbiter,Apollo, Saturn 5,SRAM,ACM,B52 Avionics,B1 Avionics,B2 Avionics, and two satellite telephone systems.
On not one of those programs did we ever submit anything to the FCC for certification before or after testing.

Almost everything in the hobby we use now is made in China including Futaba. Chinese made equipment is as well made as any. Its a whole lot cheaper because labor is much cheaper there.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:49 PM
MikeL

Class A devices, like what you described, don't need FCC certification. Class B devices, like our radios and wireless networking gear, do need FCC certification. There's a distinct difference between bomber avionics from 20 years ago and today's consumer devices.

The quality of Chinese goods can vary remarkably. If it is built to high standards, it's great. I can imagine the standards to which a $55 radio and receiver set are built.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:26 PM
DadsToysBG

Enough said. Dennis
Old 01-15-2010, 07:19 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: MikeL

Class A devices, like what you described, don't need FCC certification. Class B devices, like our radios and wireless networking gear, do need FCC certification. There's a distinct difference between bomber avionics from 20 years ago and today's consumer devices.

The quality of Chinese goods can vary remarkably. If it is built to high standards, it's great. I can imagine the standards to which a $55 radio and receiver set are built.
They need certification if you want to sell them but not to just operate. The AMA may require it but its not illegal.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:15 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not necessarily illegal to fly any RC model airplane at a Non AMA field, but if you damage property or hurt someone and you are not flying at an AMA sanctioned Flying Field or following AMA rules, you probably will not be covered by AMA insurance. I would be more concerned about that.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:43 AM
MikeL

We're getting pretty far from the OP's question, but AMA's secondary insurance for the individual is certainly not tied to flying at "an AMA sanctioned Flying Field." Absolutely nothing ties the individual's coverage to an AMA-required field. There certainly aren't any legalities regarding where a person flies and the AMAthe AMA is a private organization, not a government body. There are often local ordinances at play, but those have nothing to do with the AMA or an individual's AMA insurance coverage.