Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Can I make my ATV R/C!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:38 PM
RustlerTraxxas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I make my ATV R/C!?

I want to make my Suzuki LTZ400 '08 remote control. I have searched the net for large servos and powerful electronics with no luck. I did find a site that specialized in what seemed like it had what I needed, but it wasn't put into words that I can understand. I figured that I could run a electronic speed control and a low geared and powerful electric motor for my throttle, steering, clutch, brakes, and shifter. I wouldn't mind just having it be two channels, steering and brakes, or steering and throttle, but what I am really looking for is a powerful 5-channel system capable of turning a full size 400cc quad. Of course I would like to know about a fail-safe as well, don't want any run-away 6500 dollar toys...lol Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated!
Old 01-25-2010, 01:50 AM
Coodude26

Default RE: Can I make my ATV R/C!?

That would be a very difficult project. For things like pedals and steering, you might want to try a solenoid. I'm not sure what you could use to control it, but the Mythbusters did something similar with a couple different cars. Can I ask what you're doing with this?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:03 AM
snuts

At what point do things become of interest to homeland security?
-Snuts-
Old 01-25-2010, 12:06 PM
pilotpete2

Very good point, eh
I would also add that it would be a good idea to also check with your insurance carrier, in particular your liability coverage[]
Pete
Old 01-25-2010, 12:17 PM
RustlerTraxxas

I am going to be using this fourwheeler just like I use my r/c cars. I have 12 acres of land and a few dirt jumps. I just want to see my atv from a different perspective. I am also intirested in what the handling will be like without the weight distribution of a rider. Don't worry, I intend on driving it at relatively low speeds, along with dropping it 3.5-inches front and rear to lower the CG a bit. I have seen a few home made 1/1 scale cars driven by r/c systems on youtube before. I tried contacting them to figure out what they were using, with no luck. None of them seem to want to share their secrets...
Old 01-25-2010, 02:26 PM
pilotpete2

Good luck with the project. What you do on your own property is your business[8D]
Remember the "Granite State" motto, "Live Free, or Die"
Pete
Old 01-26-2010, 05:42 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try a site like this http://www.gorobotics.net/ or Google for other robotics sites.
Might look/ask here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_490/tt.htm as well.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 AM
victorzamora

Servocity.com has a ton of actuators and gear reduction stuff.

For the throttle, you could simply mount a servo frame to the handle bar like the tail servo on a helicopter.

Clutch and front brake could be similar to the throttle...but I'd probably run a string from a fixed point, over the end of the handlebar (obviously it would have to be kept ON the levers with some sort of retainer) and then to the servo. The servo would be behind the handlebars. You could also mount a linear servo in a similar fashion (or direct-drive from in front of the handlebars).

Gear shifter could be a linear servo mounted so that not shifting is halfway across its output. Put it on a 3-position switch, down clicks down, center holds steady, up clicks up. Foot brake could simply be a linear servo pushing down on it.

Steering is a pain, and unless you want to modify your whole ATV....you could run a bracket to hold a linear servo mounted to a ball-link style control horn. I've never tried steering an ATV without me on it, but I know it takes quite a bit of "umph" with me on it. You may need to run 2, one off of each side.

For this mod, you might want to weld some brackets to the frame UNDER your seat. For all the mods, a new handlebar may be the best solution.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:52 PM
RustlerTraxxas

I couldn't have said it better myself. Good ideas. Do you think the 222oz servo would be enough for shifting?
Old 01-28-2010, 03:03 AM
victorzamora

I don't know....a quick way to check would be to tie a string around the shifter and tie it to a fish scale. That'll give you a GREAT idea of what it'll take. Since it "breaks" once you shift, you'll get a GREAT max force reading. For the brakes, you can build a lever to extend the pedal and increase the mechanical advantage of your servo.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:43 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: victorzamora

I don't know....a quick way to check would be to tie a string around the shifter and tie it to a fish scale. That'll give you a GREAT idea of what it'll take. Since it ''breaks'' once you shift, you'll get a GREAT max force reading. For the brakes, you can build a lever to extend the pedal and increase the mechanical advantage of your servo.
Increasing the brake pedal length will also require a greater movement of the servo/actuator.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:10 AM
RustlerTraxxas

The fish scale idea sounds awesome. Do you think this scale would work? I figured that 110lbs may be overkill if anything. lolhttp://cgi.ebay.com/110-Pound-DIGITA...#ht_2278wt_939
Old 01-28-2010, 11:46 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

ORIGINAL: victorzamora

I don't know....a quick way to check would be to tie a string around the shifter and tie it to a fish scale. That'll give you a GREAT idea of what it'll take. Since it ''breaks'' once you shift, you'll get a GREAT max force reading. For the brakes, you can build a lever to extend the pedal and increase the mechanical advantage of your servo.
Increasing the brake pedal length will also require a greater movement of the servo/actuator.
And don't forget that you will need to upshift and downshift.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:39 PM
victorzamora

110lbs should be PLENTY. If not, there's something wrong . With that, you can even measure steering forces and stuff.

The shifter requires significantly less force than the brake...but would require a 3-pos switch or a slider.

If you bought a slower, higher torque actuator...you wouldn't have to extend the brake pedal. But if you got a faster, weaker actuator....you would.

For programming, I think that a 2.4GHz airplane transmitter might be the way to go. Do NOT run a 72MHz transmitter on it, but you might need more channels and mixing and switches than available on even a 4-ch car transmitter.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:03 PM
bruce88123

Ignition noise might also interfere with 72 MHz stuff.