Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR / Futaba / Hitec / Aitronics: Which to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 02:16 PM
KamikaziRcPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR / Futaba / Hitec / Aitronics: Which to buy?

I currently own a Futaba 4 channel and two Futaba 6 channel radios, and I'm wanting to upgrade to an 8 or 9 channel radio. I'm not opposed to purchasing a radio produced by another manufacturer, but I wanted to get some input as far as the wisdom of stick with a brand for compatibility reasons. I've looked at the Futaba 9C, but I know of a lot of people that swear by their JR or HiTec equipment.

I'm currently assembling a Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 40 and I've installed the four servos in the wing. I'm connecting them in pairs via Y cables so that they behave as wide ailerons with the flaperon feature. Is there one radio manufacturer that seems to handle the logic of supporting that many servos better than another? The US40 manual describes "aileron-to-flaps" as well as other features, and I want to make sure I get a radio that will let me take full advantage of the abilities of the US40.

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2003, 02:37 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would stick with Futaba if that is what you have so you have the same stuff when it comes to parts. It makes things so much easier when it comes to chargers, cyclers, servo arms and such.

Also, I don't think you can beat the 9C radios. I sold 6 of my radios and bought 6 receivers for the 9C. It is the best radio I have used.

If you have to switch, I don't mind JR radios, can't stand Airtronics. We bought a couple of their high end heli radios a few years ago and had a lot of problems with them both. Never got any help from the factory and ended up setting them on a shelf and buying new radios. What a pain. Won't buy another, but a lot of people really like them so that is just one experience. Don't take it as gospel, but that is my feeling on them.

Pick up a 9C and you will be very glad you did.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:51 AM
crashed2
My Feedback: (4)

Default Dilemas Dilemas

I have to agree with flyboy, STAY AWAY FROM AIRTRONICS!
I used the RD6000 and had nothing but problems, it went to the manufacturer 3 times. I finally got a JR 8103 PCM, but I think the 9c would work great for you, sense you have all Futaba stuff aready.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:07 AM
FlyByWire

I used to swear by JR ONLY.... Tha was untill i got a hold of the 9cap... best radio i have ever owned. The JR 8103 worked great for me, but I had to switch to the 9C....
Old 07-13-2003, 04:10 AM
KamikaziRcPilot

Thanks for the input gang! I've had the feeling all along that I should stick with Futaba, but I wanted to hear the "voice of experience" before I purchased something. I guess if I had done that a month ago, I wouldn't had purchased another six channel radio.

I finished assmbling my US40 tonight, and I'm heading to the airfield tomorrow for her maiden flight!

Again, thank you...
Old 07-13-2003, 12:11 PM
shadowspring

I have a bunch of Hitec servos and recievers on order as we speak. they seem to be the leaders in lightweight high performance equipment at low cost. i havn't used the equipment yet but if you do some research their units are loaded with features for a fraction of the cost of the competion. check out the eclipse w/spectra. the hs-475, hs-225, elctron 6, and hs-5475 appear to be steals. if your on a budget like me hi tec looks like the obvious choice.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:53 PM
crashed2

I think Hitec has good radios, but I don't like their servos, everyone that I have used has failed.(I haven't tried the new programmable digitals though) I started with a Hitec Focus 4 with a trainer, and I still use that same radio and plane to introduce new flyers. It still works flawlessly. If you want cheap servos try Tower Hobbies 3000 standard servos, for the money, (less than 10 bucks) I think they are good servos. Ihave used a few of them, and they still work great, and they are lighter than most other standard servos.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:27 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All brands mentioned are quite good in general; sure, some have had problems--should say ALL have had problems at one time or another--but, the current crop is quite good. If you have been using Futaba, a good step up is the Hitec Prism with the Spectra module, quite inexpensive but will let you drive any FM/PPM reciever including Futaba, Airtronics, JR and Hitec just by programming it. Also, Hitec's warrenty is probably the best in the business. If still in doubt, go with what is most used in your local club, you are more apt to get good helpfull advice if you run into problems.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:14 AM
RCPilot100

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know Futaba is supposed to be the largest Mfg of RC stuff - BUT consider this. I started out years ago with a Futaba Conquest, bought 5 more over several years and never had a problem. Bought a 7UA and found on the first flight it had a cold solder joint - and barely managed to save the plane. Futaba fixed it, a brand new radio - over a six week period - and I ended up buying another. Upgraded to two 8UAs and used them for a number of years until I found out they had a design defect - the hard way - and lost a $3,000.00 TOC plane. After discussing it with a co-worker whose previous job was as a product liabilty lawyer, I had many discussions with Futaba. Without going into the details, I now have a 9Z WCII radio. Over the last several weeks, I have had glitches on two of my Giant Scale planes. With the first occurance I had good reason to believe someone turned their radio on. Next occurance - differnt plane and frequency - it happened to a plane with a repaired receiver from my TOC crash. Shrugged it off to that is the way Futaba service is - I have had to send things in several times to get them correctly repaired. This weekend at my clubs Giant scale meet, while warming up my Laser 200 - different frequency - the thing went to full throtte for 20 seconds and then shut off. Whoa! We scanned and found no one using my channel. Tried it again and it did the same thing. Borrowed a Tx on same frequency as one of my planes, programmed it and flew all day with it. Conclusion right now - I have a two year old 9Z WCII Tx with a problem - probably the frequency synthesis module. While I didnt' lose a Giant Scale plane, I cannot fly any of my stuff until it is repaired.

In using all these Futaba radios and having the problems I have run into, I considering what alternatives I have. Tried JR one time. Wasn't that impressed. A buddy flies Hitec - I have tried it - ain't bad. Gotta look at Multiplex in the near future.

Getting back to your original question, all I can say as a long time user of Futaba, I am not impressed with their quality or service. What would I buy right now? Not sure, but quality, reliability and service are high on my must have list.

Dan

PS: My current Tx is not going to Futaba for service - I don't trust them to do a quality repair.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:45 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

RCPilot100

That sounds like the service I got from airtronics. I have always gotten stuff back from futaba very quickly and never had to send one back twice.

Sorry for your problems. That is no fun with any radio. Your flying too big of planes to have problems like that. You should email krysta and see if she can help you out. She is on here and is very helpfull.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:31 PM
blkbird68
My Feedback: (19)

I for one have never had any problems at all with Airtronics equipment. Although the very few Hitec servos I have had have all been junk. My personal experience with Futaba was in the mid 80's...and I can say it wasn't a good one.

It is funny though, here there are a couple guys who had problems with airtronics and swear never to deal with them again...yet everybody that I know who has Hitec equipment are constantly having failures yet they continue to use Hitec and rave about their great warranty service....doesn't make any sense to me...servo fails, plane destroyed but hey hitec fixed the servo for free!! and then a few weeks later...same guy..hitec servo fails..destroys another plane....but hey hitec fixed his servo again free!! I just don't understand.

I will add that the only service I have ever had done from Airtronics has been routine checks and memory batt. replacement in my Stylus, so I don't have any experience with warranty repair. but I have been using Airtronics equipment since 1987.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:02 PM
blkbird68

I have played with a 9C and I don't think it is as easy to program as the Airtronics equipment.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:02 PM
robalex32
My Feedback: (1)

get the 9cap,the best radio I ever get,easy to program.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:45 PM
aeroman

I just got my 9CAP, and the difference from my 6 channel Futaba is impressive. Just a quick read at the manual, and the examples and you will be programing your radio in no time.
Great features for airplanes, sailplanes and helis. One radio that does it all, easy to use, but also advanced.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:41 AM
rorywquin

And if you really want the best in this category get a Royal Evo 9! Couple of people that I have come across regret choosing a 9C over the RE9

Ask Mike @ Hitec when they will be available!!
Old 07-16-2003, 06:53 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

A friend of mine bought the Futaba 9C, and within a few months he traded it in against a Royal Evo 9 because the Futaba could not do all that he needed.

H
Old 07-16-2003, 06:33 PM
tempus

I have a futaba that I like very much and a new JR XF631 that, so far, seems to have eveything I need. I like the antenna on the JR better than the Futaba, seems less flimsy. I bent the one on my Futaba slightly once while closing it.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:36 PM
blkbird68

A friend of mine bought the Futaba 9C, and within a few months he traded it in against a Royal Evo 9 because the Futaba could not do all that he needed.
Well a 9C I think you can get a whole package for less than $400US an Airtronics RD8000 package for less than $300 but a Royal Evo 9 Tx only is over $400

So we are talking about 2 totally different class of radios here. I think Trek2120 was aiming alittle more toward the 9C/RD8000/Eclipse class of radios.

I would hope that the Evo 9 would far surpass the 9C or any other radio in that class range.

I think the RD8000, 9C or x-378 or XP8103 would be the radios he would want to consider.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:08 PM
HarryC

Originally posted by blkbird68
Well a 9C I think you can get a whole package for less than $400US but a Royal Evo 9 Tx only is over $400
So we are talking about 2 totally different class of radios here.
I would hope that the Evo 9 would far surpass the 9C or any other radio in that class range.
Where I live I can buy a Futaba 9C Tx only for £10 $15 MORE than the price of a Royal Evo. (Sussex model centre versus punctilio models.) So where I am sitting, price does not indicate that the Royal Evo should beat the Futaba so comprehensively!

harry
Old 07-16-2003, 11:21 PM
blkbird68

good example how different things can be on the other side of the pond....

if I were looking at it from your point of view then my opinion would have been much like yours.....

just curious...how would the other radios mentioned on this thread compare pricewise over there???
Old 07-17-2003, 08:20 AM
HarryC

Originally posted by blkbird68
just curious...how would the other radios mentioned on this thread compare pricewise over there???
I don't think we have got the RD8000 yet. The JR 3810 as it is called here, is same price as the Futaba Field Force 9 (you call it the 9C, we call it the FF9). Depending which shop you go to, you can buy the 9C/3810 for a bit more or a bit less than the Evo9, so they are all in the same bracket.

The difference is most marked at the top end, where the 8+1 channel 9Z or sort of 10 channel PCM10 are £900+, compared to £500 for a true 12 channel Mpx 4000 with frequency scanner and channel checker, or £520 for a true 12 channel Royal Evo synthesiser. Around £100 per channel for Futaba/JR, or £42 per channel for Multiplex with what many of us consider to be a much superior software architecture compared to Japanese radios, makes it a much easier decision for us to buy Multiplex.

Harry
Old 08-04-2003, 05:11 AM
kenneth1983

does any one know where i can get a transmitter antenna for a laser 4 by hitec.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:14 AM
Peter Khor

Wow, if the EVO is priced like that (similar to 8103/9C) over here in NA, it would be a no-brainer decision for me
Old 08-06-2003, 06:53 PM
ricksheau

it doesnt really matter its all about preference and i pefer Servo Central they are the best around