Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Lipoly's up and coming.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 09:10 PM
Lynx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipoly's up and coming.

With Kokam now offering ready made packs and chargers on Hobby Lobby and FMA Direct, how many people are in the process of or actually are switching over to li-poly's? Are there any li-poly users out there that would care to offer some tips for flight packs on electrics and glow setups?
Old 07-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Aeromodeler

Here's a tip.... buy a Triton
I'm looking at maybe buying an electric Micro Heli..... Probably go with Li poly battery's but it sounds kind of dangerous..........
I'll be watching this thread..............
Anyone...
Old 07-13-2003, 05:33 PM
Lynx

I thought I heard a while back that the triton has problems topping off li-poly's because it requires such a high voltage to top them off and the triton doesn't have sufficiant voltage pumps? Why does it sound dangerous? And if you're going to do a micro electric helli you'll HAVE to use li-poly's nicads and nimhs weight too much.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:31 PM
Aeromodeler

You are right.... but the Triton once sent in for the update deals with that issue..... I just got mine back......
New area for myself but, according to Rumor..... they can be hazardous.... one fellow told me, " I'd charge them outside"
Worried about exploding or something......... like I said, "I'll be watching this thread seeking input" . I have no valuable knowledge, obtained by use, to offer........
A very attractive power source to say the least..................
Old 07-13-2003, 10:09 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Aeromodeler
You are right.... but the Triton once sent in for the update deals with that issue.....
Does GP change the microprocessor or reprogram it FOC? Where can I get more info ?
Old 07-13-2003, 11:56 PM
ml3456

You could buy the Triton, but there are many excellent Li-Po dedicated charges for $29 - $59. Some will charge multiple packs also, and costs substantially less than the Triton. The Triton is a good charger if you need to do NiCads and NiMh also, but one at a time.

mark
Old 07-13-2003, 11:57 PM
Lynx

It'd be a matter of replacing an IC on it somewhere to allow it to pump the voltage up high enough to charge li-poly's.
They're only hazardous if you charge them wrong. Overcharge them and they generate heat much faster than other types of batteries because the internal resistance is higher than nicad's or nimhs. If the triton is in fact fixed it'd probably be 100% reliable in charging li-poly's because it has an optional heat sensor to prevent packs from possibly going up in flames from over charging. I guess one of the main issues with them is that if you try to deep discharge them without maintaing a safe cutoff voltage you'll kill the cell. It will still show a normal voltage but it'll never take a charge again. But considering twice the capacty for quarter the weight..
Old 07-14-2003, 12:45 AM
Aeromodeler

Does GP change the microprocessor or reprogram it FOC? Where can I get more info ?
When I recieved mine back the invoice read "software upgraded"
Perhaps Bax could answer that in the Futaba support forum...

Something I own will always have Nicads
Old 07-15-2003, 10:16 PM
Lynx

Accepting for high performace electrics though there's no real need for nicads. Anymore at least.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:10 AM
N55340
My Feedback: (2)

Originally posted by Lynx
Accepting for high performace electrics though there's no real need for nicads. Anymore at least.
Nicds are cheaper, have a longer calender life, have probably 3 times the number of cycles, have low impedence, can sustain much higher current draws without noticable drop in voltage and can tolerate extreme temperatures and a fair amount of abuse.

Still my only choice for a flight pack. For light electrics they are fantastic. Just my opinion.