Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Why do AeroWorks planes require so many channels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Justin Lloyd
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do AeroWorks planes require so many channels?

Right now I have a QQ yak 54. 69", and it works great with my DX7 with channels to spare. But eventually I would like to get a bigger AeroWorks plane. When I look at Hangar 9, Extreme flight, Aerotech planes etc... most of the 33-42 % planes only require no more than 7 channels. So why do AeroWork's, planes need so many? Why would my DX7, not work with them? Thanks a lot.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Jason 3-Danhakl
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Why do AeroWorks planes require so many channels?

Hey Justin,
Aeroworks airplanes do not take more channels than any other airplane of the same size. Are you confusing channels with the number of servos per surface? It is much simpiler to set up multi servo surfaces with a seperate channel per servo. A 7 ch TX you are going to need to use Y harnesses or some kind of matching device with any multi servo per surface aircraft.
Jason
Old 02-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Justin Lloyd
My Feedback: (40)

So are you saying they just "recommend" that you have the amount of channels they say you need? And its not impossible to run an 8-9 channel plane with 7 channels? Thanks, Justin.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:48 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

You can run 1 chan. for throttle, 1 chan. for rudder, 2 chans. for aeilerons (if you want a servo on each aeil.), 2 chans. for elevator ( if it's a split elev.) and you still have one left for gear or flaps. If you want to use flaps and gear then you can Y-harness your aeilerons together into the aeil. chan. If you have a one piece elevator than thats one more chan. you can use.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Justin Lloyd

So are you saying they just ''recommend'' that you have the amount of channels they say you need? And its not impossible to run an 8-9 channel plane with 7 channels? Thanks, Justin.

Just to understand your question, I went to the Aeroworks site, and downloaded the manual for the 150cc Ultimate 20-300. For comparison, I went to the Hangar 9 Site and looked at the 46% TOC Ultimate.

[link]http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=351[/link]
[link]http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN1100[/link]

I looked for a while on the Hangar 9 site and could not find a reccomendation of number of channels. They do say that the aircraft needs 15 servos.
On the Aeroworks manual, it does say that you need 11 servos and for some reason they recommend an 8 channel radio on the website, and I saw no mention of it on the manual.

This is my take on it..... On the Aeroworks manual, If you follow their recommendations to the letter, including the use of the Power Expander then they are assuming that an 8 channel radio will have sufficient programming features to connect all the necessary servos to the receiver system. On the Hangar 9 side, if you are flying these big aircraft, you should have a basic understanding of power requirements, and be able to select an appropriate power management system to provide signal and power to all those servos.

So my conclusion is, that you really do not need an 8 channel radio on the Aeroworks aircraft; if you know what you are doing. In reality you only need 4 channels to control an aircraft, throttle, aileron, elevator and rudder. More channels if you add smoke, remote engine kill, ect. but that is another story.

Rafael
Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I had a H-9 bib. Here is the set up. Eight servos in the wings. 4 match boxes 2 channels on the radio. 2 servos on the rudder (JR 8711) 1 match box 1 channel. 2 elevator servos, 2 channels. 1 throttle servo 1 channel. A total of 6. Add smoke 7 channels. 8 channels if you have a remote kill. 2 receiver batterys. 9th channel for second battery, but not needed in the radio. You can use a Y on the back-up battery. A DX-7 will fly a 40% plane. If you use high end dig servos you don't want to use y-harnesses with them. they must be matched. Dennis