Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9VHP set up instructions

Old 02-12-2010, 05:22 PM
tankengine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 9VHP set up instructions

Does any one know of a more understandable instruction booklet/guide for the 9VHP radio. I have had this radio since it was new and have flown many times-many planes with it.

I love the radio and am considering converting it to 2.4 soon but only if I can master the seemingly impossible to understand set up procedures.

The thing is I have never clearly understood how to set it up specifically regarding flaperons. I currently have it set up to fly a Great Planes trainer 60 that has servos on both ailerons. The operators manual even has a section in it that tells how to set up flaperons but I can't seem to make it work.

I can make the ailerons work fine; dual rates work fine; but when I try using aux channel 8 as it says in the manual, only one (right) aileron goes down for flap and the other does not. Also when you turn the channel 7 pitch trim knob it always seems to be able to control the other (left) aileron in linear fashion.

I know you guys have better things to do than deal with my little imperfections and you probably will suggest I buy another radio and I'm planning on getting in line for the Aurora 9 but this transmitter works fine on 72 mhz., it's pcm/ppm and I have four 9 channel recievers with it and quite frankly I would like to keep it a little longer.

If anyone knows any tips it would be greatly appreciated,

Tom Bufkin/tankengine
Old 08-08-2012, 06:57 AM
helimaster

Default RE: Futaba 9VHP set up instructions

Wow ..!! It's a shame no one ever managed to answer your question..

The 9V series of radios are probably the best transmitters quality wise that Futaba ever made. Probably explains why they are still around.. The quality of the gimbals, plastic, metal, bearings and electronic construction of those radios far surpasses any of the stuff currently being sold.. I've converted a few to 2.4 Ghz and use them every day. I wish I would have realized how good they were before I went out and spent a small fortune on some new Futaba gear.. What's funny is my old 9vhp's will probably still be going strong long after my 8fg's Wow ..!! It's a shame no one ever managed to answer your question..

The 9V series of radios are probably the best transmitters quality wise that Futaba ever made. Probably explains why they are still around.. The quality of the gimbals, plastic, metal, bearings and electronic construction of those radios far surpasses any of the stuff currently being sold.. I've converted a few to 2.4 Ghz and use them every day. I wish I would have realized how good they were before I went out and spent a small fortune on some new Futaba gear.. What's funny is my old 9vhp's will probably still be going strong long after my 8fg's are in the trash.. I've already had to send one of my 8fg's in for service..

Everything in those old radios is superior from the quality of the wire to the internal connectors and switches to the quality of the electronic components.. And personally I think they are easer to program.. Those radios were built to last while today's junk has built in obsolescence, and is designed for the instant gratification throw away consumer trend that the computer industry created..

Anyhow if you still need a hand programming the transmitter let me know..are in the trash.. I've already had to send one of my 8fg's in for service..

Everything in those old radios is superior from the quality of the wire to the internal connectors and switches to the quality of the electronic components.. And personally I think they are easer to program.. Those radios were built to last while today's junk has built in obsolescence, and is designed for the instant gratification throw away consumer trend that the computer industry created..

Anyhow if you still need a hand programming the transmitter let me know..
Old 09-25-2012, 03:36 AM
RCDENT
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Futaba 9VHP set up instructions

Wow, what an interesting thread to find! I too am a great fan of the 9V series. Perhaps I'm a bit biased, as I wrote (or should I say "translated") the manuals for both the 9VAP and VHP radios, working with Steve Helms at Futaba. I was given manuals published in Japanese and a typed set of text in "Japanglish". I spent most of my spare time for about 6 months "playing" with the transmitters and trying to decipher what the instructions meant. It was oftern challenging, because the "translation" I was given was nearly unintelligible in many sections, and these were the first truly programmable radios ever offered with anywhere near the number of features included. I still have two 9VAP's and one 9VHP. Radio South does a great job of helping me keep them going. I fly on 6 meters and the radios have always been rock solid. I'll be glad to try and help with any programming problems that anyone has.

I'm not a radio technician, so I can't help much in terms of converting to 2.4, etc.

I have one question of my own. Shortly after finishing the manuals, I took about a 10 year "vacation" from R/C. I resumed fixed wing R/C about 2002, but haven't done anything with heli's since the early 1990's. Will the 9VHP fly a modern heli? I'm not talking the latest extreme 3D stuff. Just would like to fly something upscale from the coax RTF jobs.

Dewey Newbold
RCDENT
Old 11-07-2013, 12:39 PM
pappy1953

Default 9vhp with 2.4 Ghz module

I know it's been a while since you posted this info on the 9vap/vhp but I'd like to know a little more about the 2.4 upgrade. I've had one for years and always wanted to take it to 2.4 Ghz. What transmitter/receiver modules do you use and what is the procedure for converting the. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by helimaster
Wow ..!! It's a shame no one ever managed to answer your question..

The 9V series of radios are probably the best transmitters quality wise that Futaba ever made. Probably explains why they are still around.. The quality of the gimbals, plastic, metal, bearings and electronic construction of those radios far surpasses any of the stuff currently being sold.. I've converted a few to 2.4 Ghz and use them every day. I wish I would have realized how good they were before I went out and spent a small fortune on some new Futaba gear.. What's funny is my old 9vhp's will probably still be going strong long after my 8fg's Wow ..!! It's a shame no one ever managed to answer your question..

The 9V series of radios are probably the best transmitters quality wise that Futaba ever made. Probably explains why they are still around.. The quality of the gimbals, plastic, metal, bearings and electronic construction of those radios far surpasses any of the stuff currently being sold.. I've converted a few to 2.4 Ghz and use them every day. I wish I would have realized how good they were before I went out and spent a small fortune on some new Futaba gear.. What's funny is my old 9vhp's will probably still be going strong long after my 8fg's are in the trash.. I've already had to send one of my 8fg's in for service..

Anyhow if you still need a hand programming the transmitter let me know..are in the trash.. I've already had to send one of my 8fg's in for service..

Anyhow if you still need a hand programming the transmitter let me know..
Old 11-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Four Stroker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2.4 Module

Originally Posted by pappy1953
I know it's been a while since you posted this info on the 9vap/vhp but I'd like to know a little more about the 2.4 upgrade. I've had one for years and always wanted to take it to 2.4 Ghz. What transmitter/receiver modules do you use and what is the procedure for converting the. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The 9VHP uses the same module as the 9Z. The TM7/8 or any other aftermarket module should work fine.