Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Changing channels on a TX

Old 01-01-2003, 07:34 PM
David_Moen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing channels on a TX

Hi there...anudder newbie question. My trainer is set up with Airtonics gear, channel 41. New plane on the bench so far has no radio gear. I am leaning towards purchasing either an Eclipse or Futaba 9CAF. If I buy either radio I want to buy it with crystals for a channel other than 41 so that when we're at the field my wife/kids can be flying the trainer while I fly the other plane.

If I wanted to fly my old plane with the new radio, could I, with either radio, simply change crystals in the TX to channel 41 and have at it? I know I could get the Eclipse with the spectra module, but at that price point, I'd rather have the 9C.

Also, if buy a plane at a swap meet or something that already has radio gear in it, can I just change a crystal in the TX and go fly?
Old 01-01-2003, 08:04 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David, yes you can do that because the 9C has a module system. In my opinion though, it would be cheaper to buy a new receiver crystal for the Hitec Rx to match your Tx frequency. If you go this route be sure to get your Tx on a high band channel so you don't end up using a low band Rx crystal on your high band Rx.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:14 PM
David_Moen

This logic still applies with the Airtronics gear in the trainer?

Can't I replace a crystal in the TX module?

The TX is just easier to get at than the RX.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:19 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, your Futaba Tx will not be compatible because it is negative shift and the Airtronics is positive shift. I am sorry, I must have skipped right over that part. The Hitec is shift selectable so it would work in that case.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:07 PM
strato911

David - in the US, the FCC regulations prohibit changing the crystals on the transmitters (although the entire RF module can be). However, it IS legal to change the crystal in the Rx. I assume it is similar here in Canada, but if you want to know for sure, you would have to contact the CRTC (our equivilant to FCC I think).