Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Sanwa Servo's not working in new plane

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 01:32 PM
madon37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sanwa Servo's not working in new plane

Hi everyone

I am having a problem with a new R/C plane. I am using aSpectrumDX6i 2.4 ghz radio gear. In the plane there are already 3 Sanwa SRM-102 servos with plugs like this in the picture below.

As you can see, the leads are black, black, red. The problem I am having is that, even after I have bound the receiver to the radio, the servos will not move any control surfaces. I use a Spectrum AR6200 2.4 ghz receiver - see picture below.

To eliminate the problem of it being the receiver, I used another servo and plugged it into the receiver and that worked.

Some chaps at the flying club I am at suggested that maybe these Sanwa servos work on 6 volts and, as my plane has only got a 4.8v battery to power the receiver, I thought possibly this could be the case. My question is - Do these servos run on 6 volts or 4.8v or is it something else more sinister?

Your help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.

Paul
Old 02-28-2010, 02:25 PM
pilotpete2

Default RE: Sanwa Servo's not working in new plane

Hi Paul,
Those are old style Sanwas connectors, not compatible with today's systems. You must switch the center black (-) wire with the red (+) wire, or else you'll let the smoke out. The servo you connected in reverse polarity is probably toast. Save it for spare gears[:-]
If you have more of those servos and want to use them on any modern radio like your Spektrum, you want to replace the connectors, since the old Sanwa connecor is too thick to fit adjacent to other plugs, even if you correct the polarity. Sanwa converted to the modern universal style connector in about 1997.
Pete
Old 03-01-2010, 12:24 PM
madon37s

Hi Pete

Thanks for quick reply.

If I buy some JR extension leads can I cut the receiver plug ends off with a bit of wire attached and then cut off the Sanwa servo lead plugs off. Then could I connect up the wires and solder them together to then have the JR plugs on the sanwam servo's?

If I can do this please could you tell me exactly which wire from the Sanwa servo lead goes to which wire on the JR lead so that I will connect them up correctly.

Many thanks

Kind regards

Paul
Old 03-01-2010, 01:00 PM
tadawson

You don't need new leads - just move the lead in what you have - just as pilotpete described to you . . . the plugs are the same, the only difference in the old Sanwa/Airtronics was the wire positions, which are trivially changed!

- Tim
Old 03-01-2010, 01:45 PM
madon37s

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2
If you have more of those servos and want to use them on any modern radio like your Spektrum, you want to replace the connectors, since the old Sanwa connecor is too thick to fit adjacent
Hi Tim

Actually if you look again at Petes reply (see quote) he did say that I would need to replace the connectors because they are too thick and they won't fit in the new receivers loke my Spectrum!

Kind regards

Paul
Old 03-01-2010, 02:40 PM
pilotpete2

Hi Paul,
The wires on the old Sanwa plugs are, red (+), center black (-) and the outside black wire is the signal lead. Just match them up to the wires on the new servo leads. New leads will have red for + and black or brown for - and usually white or yellow for signal.
When I did some of my old ones a while back. I just took new servo leads and soldered the wires directly to the circuit board in the servo. I like soldering
Pete
Old 03-02-2010, 01:52 AM
faulknej
My Feedback: (9)

Oops, never mind, wrong item