Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spark plug interference

Old 03-02-2010, 08:51 AM
lou1947

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug interference

I am running gas engines with electronic ignition on planes with JR9303 2.4 transmiter. I have to change sparkplug on one of the motors bur can only find a non resistor plug. Will I have interference?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:56 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spark plug interference

Probably not, but have you tried a NAPA Auto Parts store? I have been able to get Resistor plugs there for my gas engines. You can also get them mail order from Tower, Horizon, Aircraft International, Desert Aircraft, and many other sources. Your LHS should be able to get them as well.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:03 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

I agree with Rich.

What motor is it?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:05 AM
lou1947

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crrc 40i kit.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Hmm.....

I'm gonna jump off the bandwagon here and say that loose sparks from the ignition system designed to go to the sparkplug are one of the very few things which will mess with the 2.4GHz radios.

There have been a number of threads in the gas engine forum here as well as other forums where changing to a non-resistor plug in a system which requires one, loose caps on the sparkplugs, frayed shielding and so on have created issues.

Now the caveat is that if the ignition system does not require a resistor plug because that resistor is in the cap then it's not a big deal, otherwise I'd stick with what came out of the engine when new.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lou, drive over to Autozone, ask for a NGK 1270, wait 2 days, pick your plug up, problem solved. Less than three bucks.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quadra motors must use a resistor plug, Champion RCJ7Y will work. A buddys was causing the servos to freak out. Just happened to glance at the plug and it said Lawnmower on it. Happened to have the right one in the van which made everything cool.