Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Just How Many Channels Do You Need?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:31 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Just How Many Channels Do You Need?

HarryC, your advice is exactly what I was warning the original poster about. Please note his question:

ORIGINAL: krashkart

I am a rookie. I have never flown anything with more than 4 channels needed.
I am looking at upgrading radios and I seem to find a lot of folks want 7 channel or more radios.
I know if I get retractable landing gear I would need another channel.
So why so many channels?
Yet you start telling him that he should get the same thing that you need for a 15-servo, Turbine-powered jet.

Can I fly your jet with 4 channels? Probably not. But give me any non-turbine powered plane and 4 channels and I will fly it successfully. It's not magic, it's called "flying".

He is a ROOKIE. He is wanting to know about going from a crawl to a walk and you are suggesting that he take a drive in a formula 1 racer!

After reading the initial responces, look at his next comment:

Yes, I like simple things.
I am certainly not afraid of complex things.
I am retired electronics and have a ham license also and I spend lots of money there.
But simple is nice.
And affording the more complex equipment and planes for that matter all costs money.
And in retirement the $ are not all they could be.
He LIKES things simple. He doesn't have a lot of MONEY to spend.

And given his situation, I see no reason why this particular individual would ever need more than a basic 6, or at most, 7-channel radio.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

He LIKES things simple. He doesn't have a lot of MONEY to spend.

And given his situation, I see no reason why this particular individual would ever need more than a basic 6, or at most, 7-channel radio.
Just simple logic!![sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Old 03-08-2010, 03:18 PM
mandtra
My Feedback: (29)

DX7 . at the perry swap meet this past weekend in GA they were $ 160.00 NIB
Old 03-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

This is why I don't post very much. Krashkart asked a simple question about a radio. The answers were straight forward and then LNEWQBAN has to take it in a whole different direction. If you like simple then just say so. Tho's of us that like to fly advanced planes will continue to do so. Dennis
Dennis,

Please refer to post #3.

I understand there are preferences and affordability about this and any other thing in the hobby, as well as I know that you and I will continue thinking and doing the same things that we like believing and doing.

My last post that took "it in a whole different direction" was in response to the previous ones that I felt a little too harsh on the simpler concept; specifically post # 17 above.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:33 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best thing for him to do is to go to a local RC Flying Field and talk to the guys and girls about what they are using. Our RC club offers a Training Night, every Tuesday evening, all summer long. We offer free flights of our two Trainer Planes and you Buddy Box with an experienced pilot. After a couple of visits to the field, a newbie should have some idea if he wants to make an investment.

Buy a cheap 4 channel that you can throw away or give it away if you decide to give up the hobby.

Buy a 7 channel if you have longer term interests. You can always sell it if you change your mind.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:48 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

He asked a straight forward question "why so many channels" not do I need them or should I get them. The answers explained why some planes needed the extra channels and the computer power. The thread went from why, to, you don't need. Some of the posters were basing their opinion not on the question but on their own needs and ideas about what they thought he needed. My GS planes use 9 to 10 servos and 3 to 4 mixes. My jet 8 servos and a ECU plus 2 mixes. Not to mention exo and dif. in all the planes. I thought that the post on the F-100 was right on track when explaining the need for a high end radio. As he gets into the hobby more and goes to some of the bigger shows he will see for himself. At this point in his hobby life a 6 channel radio may be enough, but even I never thought about GS or Jets when I started. but now I could not fly my planes without a 10ch. radio nor would I want to try. Dennis
Old 03-08-2010, 05:09 PM
BuschBarber

I started out with a Futaba 6ch in 1978. I have never gone with less than 6ch. I have Jets and Scale Warbirds that require 9 ch or better. I do not like to Y Harnesses and Servo Reversing circuits. I prefer Channel Mixing or the prudent use of one or more JR Matchboxes.

When newbies come out to learn how to fly, with their own aircraft and radios, it is much easier if their radios have Buddy Box capability.

Too often newbies are sold cheap electrics that can barely stay in the air on a calm day, and they are so unstable that it is very difficult to teach them to fly while handing the Tx back and forth.

While a 4 or 5 channel radio should be adequate for a couple of years, a 6 or 7 channel is well worth the extra investment. More Model Memories and some more helpful programming.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:45 AM
Highflight

Buschbarber is touching on it.

It's not so much that you'll eventually need to control lots of moving bits, it's that you want to have as much control over the few moving bits that you have.

This whole zillion-channel radio thing evolved when the radios went "computer". What you get with as many channels as you can afford is real-life, and very convenient, micro-control over each of the flying surfaces.
One servo (on one channel) that controls two flying surfaces (Lt & Rt aileron, for example) is very limiting. It works, and works fine, but is still very limiting. It also requires that you spend a LOT of needless time messing with linkage because you have to mechanically adjust everything where two servos on two channels allow you to adjust much of what you need with the radio.
Once you assign one channel and servo to EACH flying surface, things get really cool and the advantages of what can be done are numerous, even to a rank beginner.

So to answer the OP question directly, here's what you want for the number of channels for a "basic" aircraft (not "need", but "want"):
Throttle = 1
Ailerons - 2
Rudder = 1
Elevators =2

That's a total of six channels, so I would suggest that, even for a beginner, you "need" a six channel radio.

But that's limiting as well because we're not even talking about some really fun extras that many people like to add over time. So if you don't want to be limited in the near future, you want some more channels for:
Retracts = 1
Flaps = 2

So now we're up to nine channels for the typical person who wants his radio to be able to grow with him.

So my .02 is that not only do you "need" a nine channel radio, it's also a nine channel radio that should be "enough" for a very long time.
If you spend the extra $$$ on a nine channel radio now instead of a 7 channel rig, you'll end up saving a bunch of $$$ later as your interests in the hobby grow.

And then beyond that, there is always the future "to be assigned later" thing, so a 10 to 14 channel radio would probably be fun just for the "look what I can do!" extras you might come up with, but I'm going to stay with the notion that a pilot, beginner or otherwise, "needs" a nine channel radio, but also that a nine channel radio is "enough" for 95% of what you want to do with an airplane.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:19 AM
BuschBarber

When I bought my first RC Radio, it had 6 ch, but no Servo Reversing, no Dual Rates, and no Mixing. I had to think about which way the pushrod had to move, which way the servo moved, and then put the servo arm on the correct side or revers the servo by unsoldering and soldering wires inside the servo.

RC Radios have come a long way. The newer technology saves you so much time and gives you so much more control.

As I moved from Trainer planes to more advanced planes, I tried out techniques on the simpler planes that would be more important on the more complex ones. Stronger pushrods, better clevises, heavy duty control horns and servo arms, bellcranks for the Rudder or Pull-Pull. Always keep one step ahead of where you want to be on the next model.

When computer radios were introduced, I bought a 6ch radio, which was all I needed. It wasn't long before I found out that while I only needed 6ch, the 7ch version had some programming that I needed and it was difficult or impossible to do with programmable mixing on the 6ch. So it is not always just about the number of channels, but about the features, as well.

You want to go to Satellite TV. The $29 package seems to have all the programming you want except one or two channels you just can't do without and they only come with the $39 package.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:27 AM
MinnFlyer

While I see, and totally understand the fact that some people prefer to have their transmitters do their mixing for them, you must realize that not everyone is the same.

Why would anyone buy a car with a standard transmission when they can get an automatic transmission? This is basically what you guys are saying - that he NEEDS an automatic transmission so his right hand is free to work the CD player. Maybe he doesn't like music. Maybe he LIKES to shift his car (ever hear of anyone like that?)

ORIGINAL: Highflight

That's a total of six channels, so I would suggest that, even for a beginner, you ''need'' a six channel radio.
You just told someone that has told you that they like to keep things simple that they "need" to fly like you do - He doesn't

One servo (on one channel) that controls two flying surfaces (Lt & Rt aileron, for example) is very limiting. It works, and works fine, but is still very limiting.
Yes, it limits you to being able to control the roll axis of your plane. Gee, that's tough to do without mixing.

It also requires that you spend a LOT of needless time messing with linkage because you have to mechanically adjust everything where two servos on two channels allow you to adjust much of what you need with the radio.
After spending a lot of "needless" time reading the manual and programming the radio.

Please understand, I am not bashing you. YOU prefer to program your radio. Many of us prefer to fly planes that are just fun to fly and don't "need" a lot of programming. One servo for both elevators, one channel for the one or two aileron servos is plenty for most of the fliers I know - and I know a LOT of fliers.

All I ask is that people consider the OP's situation before offering advise that is what works for THEM but not everyone.

There's nothing wrong with sharing an opinion, that's what RCU is all about, but say something like, "You might want to consider getting more channels so you can put two servos on separate channels for each elevator half."

Don't say, "You're going to "need" 6 channels to fly a 4-channel airplane."

That's just bad advice.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Highflight

After spending a lot of ''needless'' time reading the manual and programming the radio.

Please understand, I am not bashing you. YOU prefer to program your radio. Many of us prefer to fly planes that are just fun to fly and don't ''need'' a lot of programming. One servo for both elevators, one channel for the one or two aileron servos is plenty for most of the fliers I know - and I know a LOT of fliers.

All I ask is that people consider the OP's situation before offering advise that is what works for THEM but not everyone.

There's nothing wrong with sharing an opinion, that's what RCU is all about, but say something like, ''You might want to consider getting more channels so you can put two servos on separate channels for each elevator half.''

Don't say, ''You're going to ''need'' 6 channels to fly a 4-channel airplane.''

That's just bad advice.
Here's Krashkart's original post:

I am looking at upgrading radios and I seem to find a lot of folks want 7 channel or more radios.
So why so many channels?
He didn't profess a need, or not, of simplicity. He was just asking the simple question "So why so many channels?".
That's the question I answered, and pretty logically if I do say so myself. And in fact, I think I specifically considered "his situation" because he stated himself that he was considering "upgrading radios".
With my answer, Krashkart can best decide for himself using information that helps him to better understand the purpose and advantage of having additional channels.

And if your take is that he was asking about keeping things "simple", then why didn't you tell him an even better answer than what you suggested, and that is that you only need three channels; Throttle, rudder, and elevator.
It doesn't get much simpler than that.

My approach wasn't to force him to spend his money on an expensive radio, but only to answer his direct question as to "why so many channels".
I think I explained the "why" pretty well, dontcha' think?
Now, there is one more newbie in the hobby who has picked up some additional understanding of the "why's" of things.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:05 AM
BuschBarber

Here is what the OP said:

So why so many channels?

Planning for a future model, he is thinking about Retracts. So at a minimum, he will move to a 5ch radio. Let's say he decides on a model with Flaps. Now, we are up to 6ch. Granted, you do not always anticipate how quickly your needs will change, but it makes more sense to purchase at least a 6ch radio instead of a 4ch. The programming is not that difficult and it gives you some time to understand how it works before you need to use the extra features.

If you absolutely know you will never want more than 4 channels or you plan on purchasing a higher end radio in the future, as a second radio, then stay with the 4ch.

I started with a 6ch radio and never went with less.

Myself and other members of our RC club have been training students, all summer long, for over 30 years. Most students end up buying 6 or 7ch radios. The only ones that buy the cheap 4 ch radios are those that just fly light electrics that do nothing more than float around.

With the Flight Simulators available today, 10 year old kids are coming out and mastering a Trainer Plane in a month or two, advancing to aerobatic planes by the end of the summer. They are into 7ch radios before you know it. Newbies in their 50's and 60's take much longer, on average.

Plan for next summer and get one or two steps above where you are now. Get a 6 or 7ch radio.

It is not bad advice. It is based upon years of experience.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:16 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

i want the A9.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:19 AM
MinnFlyer

He didn't profess a need, or not, of simplicity.
A "need', no, but since you quoted his original question, here is his response to my original answer:

Yes, I like simple things.
I am certainly not afraid of complex things.
I am retired electronics and have a ham license also and I spend lots of money there. [img][/img]
But simple is nice.
And affording the more complex equipment and planes for that matter all costs money.
And in retirement the $ are not all they could be.
So several people told him why some people use so many channels, and it seems that he would prefer to keep things simple - or am I misunderstanding him?
Old 03-09-2010, 01:12 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

this looks like a nice entry level 7ch. Tx..cant beat the price either..there getting good reviews, but its, who's reviewing them is what scares me. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...e=HK-7X_2.4Ghz
Old 04-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Rate1

OMG... Just get a 7 ch if you can afford it. You will be happy with either radio that flies your next airplane.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:34 PM
doublesixes

The quality and capability of the radio to get, in my opinion, depends on the commitment one has with the hobby.

If you're certain that R/C is an important part of your life, I suggest getting the most radio you can afford, regardless of how many channels you'd initially need.

Today, I'd look for a radio with rock solid Spread Spectrum implementation, low latency and 2048 resolution. Along those lines, manufacturets such as Futaba, JR, Spektrum have affordable radios in 8, 9 and 7 (DX7 SE) channels respectively. Hitec has a nice contender but its Aurora 9 is still a 1024 radio which may not matter to 90% of pilots but it's significant to me.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

For most of us, six is enough.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:31 PM
JIMF14D

For the first few years and maybe forever a decent 6 channel radio is probably more than enough. with 6 servo channels you can have motor, elevator, rudder and differential (2 servo) ailerons/flaperons with one channel left for gear or separate flaps.

This will take you along way. More important than more channels is to get a programmable 2.4ghz radio with easy set up and adjustments for end points, dual rates, expo  and a few programmable mixes.

The technology moves quickly these days with each new radio generation giving more functions for less money.

Want a great 7 channel radio to start out with? Buy a new left over Hitec Eclipse 7 transmitter on Ebay, get a Hitec 2.4ghz Tx conversion module and two Rx package and  you are on your way. If you end up needing more  three years from now you can move up to the Hitec Aurora 9 someday.

One man's opinion of course!
Jim D

Old 04-28-2010, 04:06 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: SigMan

i want the A9.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96...tm.htm#9694621

So did he, and look what technology did to his plane, $1100 down the drain.
I never had a radio do that to me. Of course, I use Futaba. Hope his replacement isn't the beginning of a long list of defects to follow this hopefully fluke assembly, especially when everyone waited six months for the radio to show up on Tower.

My advice is stick with simple radios, avoid the gimmicks that can cause total radio failure like touch screens and software required
to run the hardware. It's just not practical, if you ask this poor A9 victim in the link above.