Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Just How Many Channels Do You Need?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:34 PM
krashkart
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just How Many Channels Do You Need?

I am a rookie. I have never flown anything with more than 4 channels needed.
I am looking at upgrading radios and I seem to find a lot of folks want 7 channel or more radios.
I know if I get retractable landing gear I would need another channel.
So why so many channels?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:01 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Just How Many Channels Do You Need?

This really depends on your "style" of flying. So what kind of radio? ... I would suggested a 8 - 10 channel to allow yourself room to grow and not have wasted any money.

I like warbirds such as WWI biplanes, WWII single engine with retracts and also some classic sports like Taylorcraft or SuperCubs or RV-4. I typically use 6-7 channels: 1-2 ailerons, 1-2 elevator, 1 flaps, 1 retracts, 1 throttle, 1 battery split with voltwatch, 1 for a "locator" would be full load. I can put the battery on any channel. Same with the locator and voltwatch. I could y-harness the ailerons and elevators ... so I typically use a R617FS receiver with my Futaba 10CG 2.4GHz transmitter. If I need more channels then I would use a R614HS receiver.

My 2 cents.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Lnewqban

At the beginning of times, people flew with no channels (Free flight and Control line), then with one, then with two, then with three, and more recently, with four.
Four channels is simple and practical enough for almost everything, being the functions of the four movements of the two sticks.

Additional channels are not proportional controls like the sticks (except some for flaps), but they are switches or dials for any use that the pilot may want to have.
Hence; for scale models, there are additional controls for flaps, retracts and lights.
For gliders, there are additional controls for spoilers, flaps, and combinations of both.
For aerobatics, there are controls for mixing the primary controls, for low and high rates of deflection of the control surfaces, etc.

Like in everything, the higher complexity brings additional problems and potential failure points.

I have been happy with four, and I believe I will not enjoy having more than six channels in use.[sm=drowning.gif]

Just my opinion.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:26 PM
JIMF14D

For basic airplane use, 7 channels is a nice number. If you want to have more control of ailerons (differential and mixing like aileron/flap with elevator) you need at least 5. From there if you add flaps and gear some day starting with 7 can be good. thing. The costs are not that much different.

For some ideas, go to the Hitec web site and download the Hitec Eclipse 7 manual. It gives lots of good info and set up examples with diagrams and you will get a feel for why 7 is a good number.
Hitec does a good job for a newcomer to understand not just programming the radio but more importantly programing your airplane.

The experts here can provide lots more examples of why 7+++++ can be useful.

The really nice thing about the Aurora 9 is that any function/switch etc can be any channel. The possibilities for fun, flexibility, performance and ...oh yes some initial confusion would seem to be limitless!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:44 PM
RogerParrett

Ken,

As you transition from rookie to "addict", you may find that more functionality - as opposed to channels - are desired. Typically, the jump from 6 to 7 to 9/10 channels gives you a wealth of additional options, mostly in terms of mixing capabilities that can make flying more enjoyable.

For instance, lets say you have a "basic" trainer with 5 channels. Rud, Elev, Right Ailerion, Left Aileron, and throttle. With separate servos on each aileron, you can drop them like flaps (flaperons) during your landing approach. Since you have more lift when the flaps are dropped, you can reduce the throttle without stalling the plane and enjoy super slow landing approaches. After a while, you get tired of simultaneously having to control the elevator to counter the sudden rise of the plane when you drop the flaps. You'd like the radio to automatically adjust the elevator to compenstate for the flap-induced pitch, giving you a nice, steady approach. A more advanced radio - such as a 7/8 channel will do that - even though you still only need 5 channels.

How about the same above senario, but instead of manually adjusting a knob/lever to drop the flaps, you want to flip a switch and the plane's flaps SLOOOOOWLY drop and adjust the elevator simultaneously. The plane automatically slows, and you merely concentrate on keeping the approach straight. Now you are looking at a 9+ channel radio - again, still only using 5 channels.

Finally, same scenario as above, but you have a very short runway (or a very fast plane on approach), and once you touch down, you want to switch the throttle to idle (or off), and simultaneously (and very quickly) throw both flaps UP to act as speed brakes. Now you are possibly looking at a 12 channel system - and yep, still only using 5 channels.

These are only generalizations. I'm sure that some of the above functions could be handled - depending on radio vendor - with more or less channel systems.

Enjoy... Roger Parrett / Dayton / OH
Old 03-02-2010, 09:15 PM
krashkart

OK, it's starting to be clear to me now.
I flew years ago for a little while (Kraft and Heathkit then guys and gals) but that was a long time ago.
I can see now where the additional channels will be handy someday if I stay with this.
Thanks.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:34 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you progress to models that have a servo for each Aileron half, Elevator half, Flap half, etc., you will find that putting the servo, for each control surface half, on a separate channel, allows you to mix the channels and gives you the ability to Match each control surface half more easily and control Servo Direction. You can buy devices, like the JR Matchbox, to do some of this, but it is an extra expense. Almost all my gas planes have dual Ailerons and dual Elevators. I will not use Y Harnesses, especially ones with Reversing circuits. In aircraft with dual Elevators and Dual Flaps, one servo for each control surface needs to be Reversed.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:46 AM
u8ittoic
My Feedback: (1)

hey,
Just wanted to add my two cents.I am in the same boat as the person that posted this question.I am new to this hobby and I fly a easy fly 40.I am still on a buddy box at the park I joined.I have my AMA and club membership.the plane is a four channel and no power to speak of.But the thrill of flying has me loving it when I am in the air.I asked my instructor not to release the trainer button unless he saw me doing something that would cause damage to others or property.The reason I added that was I was gettingtiredof the small high altitude mistakes I made the trainer was taking control from me.I feel that I should be permitted to correct or crash expecially when I let that be known.Not that I have money to burn.But correcting a mistake yourself is part of learning.Anyways,back to the post.I know that I will enjoy this hobby and will upgrade to planes with more then four controls.So,I ordered the FUTABA T 8FG.This radio is by far thebest radioyou can buy.It will be around for a long time and I really see no reason to keep throwing money into less feathered higher channeled radios.If there comes a day I need more channels then I will cross that bridge then.But as far as feathers you will not find a better radio.I did alot of reading on this.I looked real hard at the 10c and the 7c but neather could hold a candle to the 8fg.As far as the other manufactures I cant truthfully say.
I know there are misspelled words here and a little bit of ramboling,But I hope this helps.
I see it like this,Its the feathers that count not really the channels that matter.
chet from florida

Old 03-04-2010, 08:05 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking from 32 years of RC experience, you may keep that radio for years, but you will be attracted to a newer model in a few years or sooner. Your needs change and the technology changes. This is true of computers, cameras, etc., as well.

There is no one radio manufacturer that is dramatically better than another. Fitaba, JR/Spektrum, Hitec, Airtronics are probably the most well known, but there are others. Who would have thought that 2.4Ghz would have come along so quickly and replace the Silver Sword (collapsible metal antenna) and the Frequency Pin.

Hitec's new Aurora 9 has everyone buzzing. Many features at a low price. This competition will encourage the competition to come out with equal or better improvements and perhaps, bring prices down.

Enjoy your radio but do not think that your model is all you will ever need.

I don't remember all the radios I have had, but I started, in 1978, with a Futaba 6ch. Along the way I have had Futaba Conquest radios, T6XA, 7AUPS, 8AUPS, 9CAP, JR XP8103, XP9303. I bought various RF Modules, including Synthesized 72Mhz RF Modules and a Spektrum 2.4Ghz RF Module. I will probably move to a 12 channel 2.4 radio next year. I have many RC friends who have done exactly the same thing and some, for longer periods of time.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:21 AM
rcbatteries
Banned

We are a professional manufacturer of RC battery. which is a high-tech enterprise specializing in the production of Ni-MH, Lithium polymer batteries , all kinds of extension cable and adapter .Our products are mainly used for toys, model aircrafts, ship models, nautical models, electric tools, military products, and other fields.

We measure the parameters of each cell precisely and try to make the targets of cells the same. These lengthen the cycle life of Power battery effectively. Besides, we use special technology in matching which reduce the internal impedance between cells and make the efficiency to the maximum. The battery can be also fit for the discharge of high-current. The products have gained a good reputation for its excellent quality and high performance in the relevant fields. Especially the newly launched Race Series <chmetcnv tcsc="0" numbertype="1" negative="False" hasspace="False" sourcevalue="35" unitname="C">35C</chmetcnv> Continuous Discharge Rate of high power lithium polymer batteries. Its introduction into the market has been widely recognized. Our products sales volumes are risen sharply.

Our company now launches the G4 packs, they are our latest products which have higher performance and more reasonable price. The G4 packs are made of a new Hybrid construction technology, super-fine substrate materials, and final cell matching process, which all guarantee you not only this superb performance, but also tightly balanced and long-lasting packs. The batteries can be safely charged up to <chmetcnv tcsc="0" numbertype="1" negative="False" hasspace="False" sourcevalue="5" unitname="C">5C</chmetcnv> rate, which means the charge will be completed in 20 minutes. They will be your best choice when you checked them out.

If you are interested we could sell them derict to you ,save trading and fast shipping!!For any inquiries please feel free to contact with me

Changchun Hobby-Tec Technology Co.,Ltd

Adds: 13# <place><city>Huiwen Road Nanguan District Changchun City Jilin Province</city> ,<country-region>China</country-region></place>

Telephone: +86-431-85367979

Fax:      +86-431-85369822

Website  : http://epbattery.en.alibaba.com

Skype on line epbatteryex

Msn [email protected]

Old 03-04-2010, 11:28 AM
krashkart

Wow, Spam on the forum~but it's been reported and taken care of. TNX
Old 03-04-2010, 12:24 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been flying for about 50 years now, and I have never needed more than 6 channels. Most of my radios are 6-channels, but I do have a 10-channel as well.

I have experimented with using additional channels and as a product reviewer I have at times resorted to using channel mixing like dual aileron or elevator servos on different channels, but I always revert back to using a "Y" cord.

Even with high-performance planes I just see no need for the complicated process of programming a transmitter to do what I can do with my fingers.

Not to mention the fact that if you have two channels doing the work of one, your trim only works on the master channel.

KrashKart, if you see no need for more than 6 channels, get a 6-channel radio. Don't fall into the hype that more channels is better.

Don't become a computer programmer - Keep it simple and enjoy flying instead!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:30 PM
krashkart

Yes, I like simple things.
I am certainly not afraid of complex things.
I am retired electronics and have a ham license also and I spend lots of money there.
But simple is nice.
And affording the more complex equipment and planes for that matter all costs money.
And in retirement the $ are not all they could be. We are comfortable and that's all that counts as we planned it well.
But is there ever enough $ for the toys? I doubt it.
Like I tell my kids~it doesn't matter how much you make because if you are like most of the world you are going to spend every dime you make.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Lnewqban

No all awesome pilots operate complex radios.
No all complex radios are operated by awesome pilots.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:49 PM
krashkart

Yep,
I knew a fighter pilot who flew many a combat missions for over 27 years for the AF.
But when he tried RC in retirement he was a disaster at it
Old 03-05-2010, 11:15 AM
carrellh

One of the primary reasons many people go to "super radio" has nothing to do with the number of channels they think they need or want.

The number of models that can be stored in memory is often one of the primary driving factors for transmitter choice. In many cases a transmitter with lots of channels also has lots of model memory.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:32 PM
HellcatAce
My Feedback: (6)

Here's a simple way to decide. Just get the best radio you can for the money with as many channels as you can afford, and is easy for YOU to use. For computer radios do yourself a favor and have friends let you mess with theirs so you get a feel for how user friendly they are. For example, no one would argue that fact that Futaba makes great radios, but their instruction manuals on the other hand often leave much to be desired and can cause more confusion than anything else. With some radios the menu functions are pretty straight forward, others have several levels that can get you all messed up rather quickly.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:57 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I have experimented with using additional channels and as a product reviewer I have at times resorted to using channel mixing like dual aileron or elevator servos on different channels, but I always revert back to using a ''Y'' cord.

Even with high-performance planes I just see no need for the complicated process of programming a transmitter to do what I can do with my fingers.

Not to mention the fact that if you have two channels doing the work of one, your trim only works on the master channel.
To say "two channels doing the work of one, your trim only works on the master channel" demonstrates total ignorance since any decent Tx even 6 or 7 channel ones operate the trim over the two channels, if they didn't then using 2 channels for aileron would have trim on only one. Decent Tx can operate the trim over as many channels as is needed, not just 2 channels. You don't seem to have any understanding of what computer radios can do, and you seem to have no experience of the genuinely complex models or flight regimes that make use of indeed absolutely need their programming facilities, or understanding of why they are used. Having two ailerons or two elevators is still a basic, simple model, not high performance, and I can pass models to you in a flight mode that you simply could not fly using just your magical fingers, they must make use of the advanced programming in the Tx.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:16 AM
HarryC

ORIGINAL: krashkart
So why so many channels?
The more complex models have many devices that need controlling, for example my F-100 has 15 servos or devices (such as electronic air valves) so even with 12 channels I need to use a programmable receiver with enough outputs, the one I use has 20 servo outputs. Two ailerons, two elevators, two flaps, throttle, rudder, noseleg steering, retracts, doors, wheel brake, airbrake, brake parachute, brake chute cable release. It is not good enough to use Y leads off one channel in these situations as the high power servo pairs on the elevators for example draw 10 amps peak and putting that down one cable is not a good idea when it can be split to 5 amps each down two cables. Splitting them to separate channels also allows for independent control of travels so that each can be matched perfectly since there are tiny variations between servos, linkages etc.

The tx programming is used to make the plane a pleasure to fly in all flight regimes by tuning its response to controls, reducing unwanted secondary effects of controls, sequencing the retracts and doors, implementing safety routines to prevent accidental release of the brake chute in flight, disabling channels like nose steering and wheel brakes in flight, and so on.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:30 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I agree with Harry. I fly both GS and jets. My gs planes are only four channel planes, but I use all 9 channels of the receiver. This does not take in account the mixes that I use. Buy the most you can afford. you will grow into the radio over time. Dennis
Old 03-08-2010, 11:48 AM
HarryC

I know if I get retractable landing gear I would need another channel.
So why so many channels?
One day you might want a model with flaps and retracts.

Now that sounds like you want 6 channels? Maybe. What you want is 6 functions but you might want more channels. It is common to use a servo for each aileron and a servo for each flap. So a wing that has two functions, aileron and flap, has 4 servos. They are best driven by separate channels, so now the model with the normal 4 functions plus flaps and retracts can use 8 channels - rudder, elevator, throttle, retracts, 2 aileron, 2 flap. You could use 7 channels by putting a Y lead on the ailerons, you would be best to have the flaps on separate channels so you can tune their travels to match perfectly otherwise you get a bit of roll when you put the flap down!
Old 03-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just how many posts does it take to explain how many channels does a person need?

It is just like: "How many RCers does it take to change a light bulb"

Taken from here: [link]http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t84757p1/[/link]
How many forum members does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 to change the light bulb

1 to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

53 to flame the spell checkers

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb"

.. another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy"

109 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb forum about changing light bulbs be stopped

111 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

6 that flame them for not using the Search feature

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three"

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ

44 to ask what is a "FAQ"

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

16 posts of two forum members that are exclusively talking to each other only about lightbulbs and what they did that weekend

24 posts of telling them to take it to PM's

1 moderator that comes in and says something about doing it wrong and that everyone who disagrees gets a warning

1 new forum member to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again
Rafael
Old 03-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: HarryC

So why so many channels?
The more complex models have many devices that need controlling, for example my F-100 has 15 servos or devices (such as electronic air valves) so even with 12 channels I need to use a programmable receiver with enough outputs, the one I use has 20 servo outputs. Two ailerons, two elevators, two flaps, throttle, rudder, noseleg steering, retracts, doors, wheel brake, airbrake, brake parachute, brake chute cable release. It is not good enough to use Y leads off one channel in these situations as the high power servo pairs on the elevators for example draw 10 amps peak and putting that down one cable is not a good idea when it can be split to 5 amps each down two cables. Splitting them to separate channels also allows for independent control of travels so that each can be matched perfectly since there are tiny variations between servos, linkages etc.

The tx programming is used to make the plane a pleasure to fly in all flight regimes by tuning its response to controls, reducing unwanted secondary effects of controls, sequencing the retracts and doors, implementing safety routines to prevent accidental release of the brake chute in flight, disabling channels like nose steering and wheel brakes in flight, and so on.
I just want to fly my channel-less model and have simple fun!!![sm=bananahead.gif]

Don't you guys need one or two spotters reading the manual about what switch is for what while you are flying those complicated machines?

I believe that there is a limit for complexity, especially when I have to deal with complications in my job all week long!

Fifteen servos may be good for proffessional or high level scale flyers; for this poor ignorant, they are just too much for one model and for one pocket.

Regards!
Old 03-08-2010, 01:27 PM
HarryC

ORIGINAL: LNEWQBAN
Don't you guys need one or two spotters reading the manual about what switch is for what while you are flying those complicated machines?

I believe that there is a limit for complexity, especially when I have to deal with complications in my job all week long!
No, there are fewer switches than in your car and they are not multi-function like the stalks on your car steering column that rotate, move and push depending on what function you want it to do. If you can cope with your car you can cope with 4 simple switches on a Tx!
Old 03-08-2010, 02:30 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

This is why I don't post very much. Krashkart asked a simple question about a radio. The answers were straight forward and then LNEWQBAN has to take it in a whole different direction. If you like simple then just say so. Tho's of us that like to fly advanced planes will continue to do so. Dennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.