Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Which 2.4 System is REALLY the BEST?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 01:39 PM
hawkpilot
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which 2.4 System is REALLY the BEST?

I have the Futaba 10c and LOVE it!! I have tried the Spektrum and it is ok but not nearly as fast as the Futaba . If you let go of the right stick the stick wiggles, right? Well when you do this with the Futaba FASST system the servo follows the stick wiggle to a t, and this was using a ds821, and have also had the same thing happen with a hs81 in the test. I could not get the Spektrum to do this, when the stick reached center and it wiggled the servo just stayed centered, which is nothing to do with the servo, but everything to do with the response time of the system. On the Spektrum site they have a video showing the recovery time from a brown out and the Spektrum is faster at recovering, however I have never experienced a brown out with the futaba system, so does this matter? Who knows...but I know my vote goes to Futaba.

( I own both, I use the Spektrum for the BNF aircraft that use it. For all of my high end planes and helis I use the FASST system)
Old 03-07-2010, 01:59 PM
DougV

ORIGINAL: hawkpilot

I have the Futaba 10c and LOVE it!! I have tried the Spektrum and it is ok but not nearly as fast as the Futaba . If you let go of the right stick the stick wiggles, right? Well when you do this with the Futaba FASST system the servo follows the stick wiggle to a t, and this was using a ds821, and have also had the same thing happen with a hs81 in the test. I could not get the Spektrum to do this, when the stick reached center and it wiggled the servo just stayed centered, which is nothing to do with the servo, but everything to do with the response time of the system. On the Spektrum site they have a video showing the recovery time from a brown out and the Spektrum is faster at recovering, however I have never experienced a brown out with the futaba system, so does this matter? Who knows...but I know my vote goes to Futaba.

( I own both, I use the Spektrum for the BNF aircraft that use it. For all of my high end planes and helis I use the FASST system)
Well guess what, that Futaba FASST receiver on that video is the old (discontinue) R606FS rx(I wonder why he use that one?), and I think that's one of the reasons why it was discontinue because of the boot delay (1.5 seconds), try the 617’s or any of the new ones and you will see instant connection, no delay.

As usual, they don't compare apples to apples.

Doug.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:39 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug is right on here..............i have all the newest Rx's that Futaba makes and they are instant on.
comparisons like that are bunk from the git go and the guy new it.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:40 PM
goodvibes

ORIGINAL: MrCoffeeMax

Futaba - You get what you pay for

Spektrum beat Futaba to the market, but only by a few weeks and only because Futaba designed their system from the ground up to be dedicated to RC aircraft

The rest used "Off the Shelf" technology - and it shows
perhaps one day futaba will learn how to make receivers that work in hot climates?
Old 03-07-2010, 02:45 PM
pilotpete2

ROFLAMO,
Where have you been
That ones as old as Spektrum receivers need 3 or more seconds to reboot after a power loss
Pete
Old 03-07-2010, 03:08 PM
hawkpilot

ORIGINAL: summerwind

Doug is right on here..............i have all the newest Rx's that Futaba makes and they are instant on.

I have all of the newest units also, and they all come on faster than the one in the vid.....I have never owned one of the 606's. Just funny how the guy in the vid tried to do that..........but like I said with no brown outs does it matter? (at least I have not had any)
Old 03-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was sold on the whole 2.4 GHz concept from the beginning, having had no end of interference on 72mHz. I ordered one of the Spektrum systems from Horizon Hobby, early in the season the year they became available for standard RC airplanes (instead of just for park flyers). That was what, 07, 08? I don't remember, now. Anyway, I waited about 3 months, there were all kinds of problems reported with Spektrums in the field, and they couldn't supply them to anyone. About that time, the Futaba 6EXs became available, and as my old HiTec FM set was getting weird on me, I got a 6EX and never looked back.

Some time later, there occurred a huge thread in the jet section that reported a lot of empirical data and experiment results of Futaba vs Spektrum, mostly in the U.K. The bottom line was that the Spektrum had serious voltage level problems that could result in loss of control, and there were a number of crashes pinned on this. Conversely, several guys tried their level best to cause a signal loss with the Futaba systems, and couldn't do it. Crazy stuff, like putting the receiver and its antennae inside a carbon fiber intake duct. Stuff that Futaba specifically says not to do.

I've stuck with the 6EX systems in spite of having to "retire" one transmitter. It started selectively "forgetting" my settings under different model positions out of the 6. By the time it did that, it was well out of warranty, and as repairs would have cost almost as much as another one, I just got another one.

I like the feeling of being really "connected" to the models. I have had this feeling with no other system: Airtronics FM, Hitec FM, and two of the cheaper Spektrum radios (including an HP6DSM) that came with RTF models. Only the Futaba is fast enough and positive enough to make it feel like the birds are responding to my inputs in real time, not after some delay.

I currently have two 6EX transmitters and 12 of the 6 or 7 channel receivers.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: hawkpilot

I have all of the newest units also, and they all come on faster than the one in the vid.....I have never owned one of the 606's. Just funny how the guy in the vid tried to do that..........but like I said with no brown outs does it matter? (at least I have not had any)

Brown outs were never the Radio equipments fault, they were the end users fault. Electronic equipment requires a good constant source of power to run correctly. If the user is not selecting batteries that can handle the current loads of the servo's, who's fault is it.

I actually seen a 50CC 30% weeks special BI-Plane crash at our Big Bird Flyin the summer the DX7 came out. He was running 8 DS821's off of the stock 1100mah 4.8v pack. The plane went into a Brown out and was completely distroyed. The Futaba guys quickly started talking about the New Junk on the market, and how they were not going to change from Futaba PCM. This is the only issue I ever seen with Spectrum, and it was clearly the operators fault. Common sence would tell you not to operate a large plane with a tiny battery.
I don't care what kinda of radio you fly, selecting a battery that can discharge at a high enough rate to eliminate voltage drops is the number one requirement.
I also Race RC Cars, and have for the many years, so I understand voltage underload, and the impediance of the said battery packs cell's. Try to explain that to some, and you get the "But its a 2500 mah pack". They do not seem to understand that compacity is not everything.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:12 PM
daisy shoot

Two words for ya fellas,

control line
Old 03-07-2010, 04:55 PM
TAK3D

When I went to buy my first 2.4 system, the hobby shop owner talked me out of the Specktrum 7ch I was looking at. Even though it had a lot of features that I thought would be great to have for my new 33% gasser, when I heard they were piling aircraft in at Nall that year, I took his advice and bought the Futaba system (despite the higher overall costs of receivers, etc. down the road). In hindsight, it was the best decision I could have made because I have never been shot down again and never in 3 years had any loss of signal problems, period. Forget about the features for a minute and consider that in 3 years, no matter how poor the install, none of the crashes I've witnessed that were radio related involved a Futaba system. There is nothing quite like dependability. I've seen Spectrum systems come unbound DURING FLIGHT(probably10+ crashes), on the ground during run up (another dozen) and a bunch of frustrated club members having to rebind their aircraft when they arrive at the field. I recently purchased a DX7 for my bind & flys and upon arriving at the gym had to re-bind a model. Of course I was mad but in the end I could only smile thinking this was to be expected from what I had previously exprienced. I've moved up to jets this year and, although I haven't seen any high end spectrums have issues yet, I went out and bought a 12fga(proportional expenditure).
Old 03-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

You should have included Weatronic in your poll, so I voted for "Other"..

http://weatronic-usa.com/
Old 03-07-2010, 06:28 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I watched a buddy of mine have to pull his AR6200 for his DX6i out of his 2M Ice Point pattern plane the night before a contest and revert back to his Futaba 6EX 72Mhz computer radio because his AR6200 kept locking out during practice. He was running a 2600Mah 5-cell NiMH receiver battery and had ground tested his receiver and antenna placements extensively.

He runs an O.S. 1.60 FX with a tuned pipe and header, and with that much metal in the front of the airplane, it would seem easy enough to blind the receiver if the plane were flying toward him. He kept getting locked out for several seconds at a time during his normal Intermediate routine, however, when the plane was in profile out in front of him.

He still uses his DX6i for his Blade 400 helicopter, but he still hasn't gone back to 2.4Ghz for his pattern plane.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: TAK3D

When I went to buy my first 2.4 system, the hobby shop owner talked me out of the Specktrum 7ch I was looking at. Even though it had a lot of features that I thought would be great to have for my new 33% gasser, when I heard they were piling aircraft in at Nall that year, I took his advice and bought the Futaba system (despite the higher overall costs of receivers, etc. down the road). In hindsight, it was the best decision I could have made because I have never been shot down again and never in 3 years had any loss of signal problems, period. Forget about the features for a minute and consider that in 3 years, no matter how poor the install, none of the crashes I've witnessed that were radio related involved a Futaba system. There is nothing quite like dependability. I've seen Spectrum systems come unbound DURING FLIGHT(probably10+ crashes), on the ground during run up (another dozen) and a bunch of frustrated club members having to rebind their aircraft when they arrive at the field. I recently purchased a DX7 for my bind & flys and upon arriving at the gym had to re-bind a model. Of course I was mad but in the end I could only smile thinking this was to be expected from what I had previously exprienced. I've moved up to jets this year and, although I haven't seen any high end spectrums have issues yet, I went out and bought a 12fga(proportional expenditure).

The only planes I heard of Crashing @ Joe Nall with Spectrum were T-28's. Now if you tell me you can tell yours from the other 50 or more Identical planes that they were flying @ the same time, I will not believe you anyways.
Also, after Shulman crashed his Bandit, people started making rumors about his 2.4 failure, when he was flying the Bandit with a 10X on CH 59. I believe about half of what I see, and about 1/4 of what I hear. People are going to make stories to support there opinions, so believe what you want. But it is s fact that the Best Pilots in the World are useing JR/Spectrum.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:09 PM
DougV

ORIGINAL: MOTORMAN37

The only planes I heard of Crashing @ Joe Nall with Spectrum were T-28's. Now if you tell me you can tell yours from the other 50 or more Identical planes that they were flying @ the same time, I will not believe you anyways.
Also, after Shulman crashed his Bandit, people started making rumors about his 2.4 failure, when he was flying the Bandit with a 10X on CH 59. I believe about half of what I see, and about 1/4 of what I hear. People are going to make stories to support there opinions, so believe what you want. But it is s fact that the Best Pilots in the World are useing JR/Spectrum.
And the Best pilots in the World also use Futaba FASST: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9445103/tm.htm

http://www.amtjets.com/

Doug.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:15 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Go back to AM. Nobody on those anymore!
Old 03-07-2010, 07:49 PM
CustomPC

I like FHSS systems over and above Spektrum.

My personal radio is an Airtronics SD-10G and so far the radio link has been absolutely reliable. The radio is awsome, extremely easy to use and very capable. Features wise it is right up there alongside the 12-14 channel Futaba's.

I have been following the Radio forums on 2.4Ghz for a long time and i have not seen a single issue reported about the Airtronics FHSS. No brownouts, No zero GUID, no heat problems, no binding problems. It just works, and it works well.

However i am not brand loyal and buy what fits my needs.

My kids are now starting to take an interest in learning to fly so i have bought a Futaba 8FG for them purely because it a very compact radio and easier for their small hands to hold. I actually like the switch layout on the 8FG better than the Airtronics. It's a case of less is more in this instance. The SD-10G is a bit of a porcupine. I have no problems with using FASST as i'm sure they've ironed out a lot of the bugs by now.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:25 PM
pilotpete2

Brown outs were never the Radio equipments fault, they were the end users fault. Electronic equipment requires a good constant source of power to run correctly. If the user is not selecting batteries that can handle the current loads of the servo's, who's fault is it.
The original Spektrum receivers without quick connect were accidents waiting to happen. A receiver that takes a good 3 seconds, or more to re-link in the event of a momentary dip in power is an unacceptable design, fortunately Spektrum was able to get around the problem with a software update to make the receivers reboot to the same two channels that had been selected at initial startup, making them re-link virtually instantaneously. Anyone who thinks that just having the proper batteries and proper charging hasn't been involved in troubleshooting on a professional level. I recently had a solder joint in a heavy duty switch harness fail. In my case I had the older R607FS receiver in the plane. I sure knew something was wrong, but the plane was flyable. A Spektrum receiver without quick connect would have undoubtedly crashed. I still hear comments from Spektrum flyers who have older receiver they haven't sent in and don't see any need to since they make sure their batteries are good to go, yeah right
Pete
Old 03-07-2010, 08:35 PM
hawkpilot

yeh....what Pete said!!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:54 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dookieshoot

Two words for ya fellas,

control line
single line 2.4 or dual line 2.4?
oooops, you're talking about those things that make you dizzy..........kinda like a pull toy huh?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:54 PM
hawkpilot

ORIGINAL: dookieshoot

Two words for ya fellas,

control line
single line 2.4 or dual line 2.4?
oooops, you're talking about those things that make you dizzy..........kinda like a pull toy huh?
LMAO!!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Iflyglow

I don't care what system you use. a Little common sence goes a long way.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:27 PM
geesing2007

I would like to gain trust in my Spektrum DX7 Transmitter but it's difficult to do so because of what I am being put through-

I bought my first DX7 in March 2009.
I fitted my Models with SPEKTRUM AR6100e receivers.
I flew them in the park-lands in Adelaide, South Australia and all seemed well for about 4 months.
Suddenly there were some unexplained crashes and so I thoroughly investigated my equipment.
DISCOVERED:
My SPEKTRUMDX7 was SHORTRANGING.
Sent it to O"REILLYMODELPRODUCTS, Lonsdale, South Australia and AU$86 later they repaired it .(should have been a free warranty repair).
I went out flying.
ANOTHER CRASH:
This time it was an expensive crash. It was still SHORT RANGING
I took it back to O"REILLYMODELPRODUCTS
SWAP OVER:
They swapped it for a NEWDX7
I fitted my models with the AR500 full range receivers (and followed the advice of their Technician)
GLITCHES AND SHORT RANGE CHECKS:
Same problems existed even with AR500 FullRange Rxs....but not as prominent as with the AR6100e
I was not prepared to fly and crash another model because of the same DX7 problem and so I:-
RETURNED IT :
In March 2010. I took the DX7 to O'REILLY MODEL PRODUCTS for checking
Mike O'REILLY refused to accept this new DX7it. Instead has offered a refund. I am considering his offer and deciding (8 Mar 10)

"I WANT TO HAVE FAITH IN SPEKTRUM. AND I WANT TO TELL GOOD STORIES"

HOW O'REILLYPERFORMTESTSONDX7: (it's very technical)
They remove your receiver from your model. Place the Rx on top of about a 1 metre high pole. Using your DX7 they walk 30 paces away and see if it has any Control -Issues. If it doesn't then they send it back to you as repaired.
They then use your DX7 and test fly a Corsair model which is fitted with their own AR7000 full-range receiver attached to a data logger.
They haven't had a crash yet, it seems. I wonder why?

I'LL LEAVE THIS UP TO YOU ALL TO MAKE SENSE OF IT AND ASK THE QUESTIONS.

PS I recently put my DX7 on eBay for sale and I have received about 45 messages all complaining about similar problems....(8 Mar 10)

Old 03-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

The original Spektrum receivers without quick connect were accidents waiting to happen. A receiver that takes a good 3 seconds, or more to re-link in the event of a momentary dip in power is an unacceptable design, fortunately Spektrum was able to get around the problem with a software update to make the receivers reboot to the same two channels that had been selected at initial startup, making them re-link virtually instantaneously. Anyone who thinks that just having the proper batteries and proper charging hasn't been involved in troubleshooting on a professional level. I recently had a solder joint in a heavy duty switch harness fail. In my case I had the older R607FS receiver in the plane. I sure knew something was wrong, but the plane was flyable. A Spektrum receiver without quick connect would have undoubtedly crashed. I still hear comments from Spektrum flyers who have older receiver they haven't sent in and don't see any need to since they make sure their batteries are good to go, yeah right
Pete

What switch were you useing. A took apart a MPI switch with the little LED's, and allmost fell over when I seen the solder joints. Every solder joint was a cold joint.
I started using a arming switch last year made with mini deans plugs. I do not have to worry anymore about the switch at least.
I fly with a DX7, and have (2) R7000's and (3) 6200's without a hitch. I have them in everything from 1/4 scale Pylon racing planes to a 1/4 scale Cub with electronic igniton. I have a Data recorder in the Cub for giggles, and have never recorded anything abnormal on it. I have tested the range into lower orbit with the Good Old Shoestring, and still cannot get the radio to hickup. I run 5 cell packs, and size my packs accordingly with High Discharge cells.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: geesing2007

I would like to gain trust in my Spektrum DX7 Transmitter but it's difficult to do so because of what I am being put through-

I bought my first DX7 in March 2009.
I fitted my Models with SPEKTRUM AR6100e receivers.
I flew them in the park-lands in Adelaide, South Australia and all seemed well for about 4 months.
Suddenly there were some unexplained crashes and so I thoroughly investigated my equipment.
DISCOVERED:
My SPEKTRUM DX7 was SHORT RANGING.
Sent it to O''REILLY MODEL PRODUCTS, Lonsdale, South Australia and AU $86 later they repaired it .(should have been a free warranty repair).
I went out flying.
ANOTHER CRASH:
This time it was an expensive crash. It was still SHORT RANGING
I took it back to O''REILLY MODEL PRODUCTS
SWAP OVER:
They swapped it for a NEW DX7
I fitted my models with the AR500 full range receivers (and followed the advice of their Technician)
GLITCHES AND SHORT RANGE CHECKS:
Same problems existed even with AR500 FullRange Rxs....but not as prominent as with the AR6100e
I was not prepared to fly and crash another model because of the same DX7 problem and so I:-
RETURNED IT :
In March 2010. I took the DX7 to O'REILLY MODEL PRODUCTS for checking
Mike O'REILLY refused to accept this new DX7it. Instead has offered a refund. I am considering his offer and deciding (8 Mar 10)

''I WANT TO HAVE FAITH IN SPEKTRUM. AND I WANT TO TELL GOOD STORIES''

HOW O'REILLY PERFORM TESTS ON DX7: (it's very technical)
They remove your receiver from your model. Place the Rx on top of about a 1 metre high pole. Using your DX7 they walk 30 paces away and see if it has any Control -Issues. If it doesn't then they send it back to you as repaired.
They then use your DX7 and test fly a Corsair model which is fitted with their own AR7000 full-range receiver attached to a data logger.
They haven't had a crash yet, it seems. I wonder why?

I'LL LEAVE THIS UP TO YOU ALL TO MAKE SENSE OF IT AND ASK THE QUESTIONS.

PS I recently put my DX7 on eBay for sale and I have received about 45 messages all complaining about similar problems....(8 Mar 10)

I call B.S
This is nothing but a Chevy vs Ford thread.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:41 PM
hawkpilot

I don't care what system you use. a Little common sence goes a long way.

Very true....I read your earlier post about the 50cc plane with ds821's. ??????? talk about common sense....I would not fly a 50cc plane with anything less than a metal geared servo, and no less than 180oz torque, and on lipos with a reg at 6v going through a power expander. Think of the drain he had going on trying to push the control surfaces with an under-powered servo, no wonder it lost power....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.