RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba T3PK 2.4 ghz radio and the traxxas optidrive

Old 03-10-2010, 12:23 PM
RCnutz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba T3PK 2.4 ghz radio and the traxxas optidrive

I recently purchased the radio mentioned in the title, mainly because it takes 9.6 volt batteries. I'm tired of spending money on throw away alkalines so I figured I'll just use NiMh bats.
While the manual strictly forbids the use of non NiCd batteries I decided that Futaba is just trying to get me to buy their lame 700 mah NiCd to have as spare when I can use 2500 mah NiMh packs with no ill effects.

This radio is nice but a bit on the heavy side. Also the 80 meter range is not much to be desired. I expected more from this 300 dollar radio. The power on Led can change colors... yaaay boo hooo. Who cares?

What I like:
takes 9.6 volt bats
does what its meant to do with standard setups.

What I don't like

I does not work with the Traxxas Optidrive. No matter what mode I'm in It just won't work. Now I actually removed the optidrive and have to be careful when shifting in reverse which isn't as big a deal as one would think especially with this radio. The only button that can work with the shift servo is so out of the way that you almost have to switch hands to be able to press it.

Is anyone here who got this radio system to work with the optidrive? (Not that I miss the optidrive but I'm starting to get annoyed by the Traxxas crap. They think that more electronics means better.
Frankly for the average user whether the tranny has a few more grams for a mechanical accidental shift protection or a few grams less doesn't matter.