RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Smart Fly Eq6 and Rx Binding issue

Old 03-13-2010, 01:24 AM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Smart Fly Eq6 and Rx Binding issue

I have hit a roadblock in setting up my 35% Extra. I'm using a Smart-Fly Eq6 (first one for me) with Dual 2-cell lipos and either a JR1221 or a Spektrum AR9100 receiver. I am having no success in binding either receiver to the Transmitter. I've got power to the Eq6, but the receiver looks deadno lights. So...hard to bind to a dead RX [X(]. No Eq6 pigtails in the Battery or Bind ports per instructions. There is no guidance as to the Eq6 "Function" or "Channel" settings while binding. Surely I must be missing something simple here. Has anyone run across this issue?
Old 03-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Oilsands

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Smart Fly Eq6 and Rx Binding issue

When you say you have power to the Eq6, are the green LED's (servo power and Rx power) lighting up? The Function and Channel dials are for when you program the Eq6 and servos. The channel inputs 1 and 8 supply power to the Rx. Double check that you have the channel inputs wires plugged into the Rx correctly. Are you using a fail safe switch, either the slide or the pin flag one?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:07 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

But the bind plug in the batt/bind port, and take a 4 or 5 cell battery, and stick it into a servo port.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:37 AM
DISCUS54

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, the green LED's are illuminated and I am able to use the Function dial to Reset, Calibrate, ect....the logic is working in the Eq6...i.e. steady, fast, slow flashing LEDs. I'm hesitant to plug anything directly to the Rx Battery ports as Smart-Fly instructions say the Rx may revert back to DSC instead of recognizing the power coming through the actual Channel ports and this could create an "Unbind" situation down the road with a change in nominal voltageam I reading this right? Should the function dial be on "0" ? The switches are Smart-Fly HD slider switches, I'm not sure but they may have a failsafe feature. I can give the direct bind and power a try, but shouldn't there be power running to the Rx through the pigtails anyways?
Old 03-13-2010, 10:44 AM
DISCUS54

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GOOD NEWS! I had an email in with Smart-Fly customer support, after a quick response and short phone conversation I am up and running. According to the guys at Smart-Fly the Spektrum AR9100 presents a unique challenge because of its Dual Powersafe feature and the power leads (pigtails)...it can be used with some modification; however, not recommended. The Rx power leads would have to be utilized, making for a somewhat messy install. An Spektrum AR9000 would be a much better choice. Fortunately, I had this JR1221 that came with my Transmitter and it makes for the clean install that I am seeking. The BIND PLUG goes into the Bind Port on the RECEIVER not at the switches. The power needs to come through the Eq6 pigtails that are installed in the RX ports. DO NOT UTILIZE THE RX BATTERY PORT/S. I had the Function and Channel dials set at "0" but this shouldn't matter. I turned the switches on and the remote Rx'ers illuminated with flashing lights. Thanks Guys for the input, I'm looking forward to the rest of the set up.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:18 AM
Oilsands

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Smart-fly customer service at it again! Glad they were able to help you out, as I knew they would.