Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Thinking about a "universal" radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 03:35 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking about a "universal" radio

I currently have a pos. shift GWS Tx and a JR XF421 on the same channel as well as a hitec laser 4 on another channel altogether. I was thinking about upgrading to one "universal radio" that I could use with all 4 Rx's I already have (3 pos. shift on 1 channel and 1 neg. shift on another channel). What options do I have? I know the hitec eclipse has shift select and a frequency module that allows channel swapping. Are there any others in the same ballpark price range. The eclipse would do the job, but it looks like a porcupine with all them long handled switches, etc. More stuff to break. I like the JR, but they're $$, and I don't know if any have the same capabilities as the eclipse, same for futaba, airtronics and multiplex I know next to nothing about.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:40 PM
David Cutler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Eclipse with the Spectra module would certainly do all you want it to.

I shouldn't worry about the 'chrome porcupine', as it's quite a robust casing, and if you drop any transmitter on its switches you would get more or less the same result!

I keep mine in a case, and am very careful with it.

-David C.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:56 PM
BuzzBomber

I suppose you're right--it just doesn't look as 'user-friendly' as the JR I'm accustomed to. I'm afraid I'd hit the switch to change rates and hit the wrong switch and watch my plane explode or something .
Old 07-15-2003, 04:02 PM
David Cutler

Originally posted by buzzbomber
I suppose you're right--it just doesn't look as 'user-friendly' as the JR I'm accustomed to. I'm afraid I'd hit the switch to change rates and hit the wrong switch and watch my plane explode or something .
I can definitely relate to that!

But, in fact, when you get used to it, the switches are positioned quite logically, and it's fairly difficult to throw the wrong one.

Just start with the aileron, rudder and elevator dual / exponential rates switches and work up from there.

-David C.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:13 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

There was a discussion on the RCSE a whilke back about an adapter board which allowed one to use a Hitec Spectra module in a 10X

Any channel... shift selectable...

Probably not FCC legal, though.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:13 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Look at Polks Hobbies Tracker II. No module to fool with as all channel switching is done in the radio programming. Each model is saved with its own frequency/shift and it has a built in scanner.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:46 PM
strato911

The Tracker II does exactly what you need, with no switches, dials or contacts to wear out from switching all the time. As cuaseitflies said, the freq and shift are stored in the model memory.

It's programming allows other capabilities the Eclipse can't do (like Crow), plus you get another channel. For more info on this radio, check out the thread There is a Tracker II, and if you would like a copy of the manual to browse while deciding, send me an email or PM with your email address, and I can send you a copy. It is to large to post on RCU.

www.polkshobby.com]
Old 07-15-2003, 04:52 PM
Sport_Pilot

I like the fact that the Tracker II is black. No sunlight to glare off of the radio and blind you. I hate that when the sun is behind you and yet you are still blinded by the radio!
Old 07-15-2003, 07:45 PM
Aeromodeler

RD6000/8000 series by Airtronics is shift selectable.........
short switches.......very user friendly
Old 07-15-2003, 08:40 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes there is an Airtronics that is shift selectable but without at least a synthesized module it will not do what the original poster wants.

The fact is there only two systems out there that will do what is wanted and that is the partially synthesize (TX) Eclipse and the Seeker system fully synthesized (TX and RX) at a reasonable price. The mention above of using a Hitec Spectra module in a modified JR is in fact illegal and inappropriate.

There is one other very inexpensive alternative and that is the Hitec Prism 7X TX. Now discontinued. These are selling for as little as 75$ with the Spectra module. In some way not quite as computer capable the Eclipse in that there are only preprogrammed mix's but in others more capable. Its the only computer radio that I have identified that has manual trims but also an infinitely variable trim rate which has the effect of giving you a far more infinitely variable user defined trim response. That is why its the only radio that I will use in my competitive efforts at pylon racing.

For what You want to do it is an incredible buy and will do it very cheaply indeed.

John
Old 07-15-2003, 08:48 PM
strato911

Originally posted by JohnBuckner
Its the only computer radio that I have identified that has manual trims but also an infinitely variable trim rate which has the effect of giving you a far more infinitely variable user defined trim response.
John - The Tracker II uses manual trim tabs, with a cumulative trim memory. It also features the adjustable trim rate you like, but I don't know if it's "Infinitely" variable.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:20 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you Dennis, The Tracker just went up another notch in my book and it is going to be my next radio, My Prism's have worked long and hard but are getting a bit long in the tooth and I,ll just use the Eclipse for sport flying. I knew it had manual trims but was not sure about the all important 'trim rate'. Electronic trims are almost useless for me, they are always either to much or to little at 165 mph. And the other problem in close proximity to four engines all at better than 20,000 rpm with ear muffs on, its impossible to hear those beepers.

John
Old 07-15-2003, 09:36 PM
Aeromodeler

Missed that point...... I myself would just buy a matching crystal......... why go so complicated.......................
Old 07-15-2003, 09:59 PM
strato911

Originally posted by Aeromodeler
Missed that point...... I myself would just buy a matching crystal......... why go so complicated.......................
It is illegal in North America to change the transmitter crystal without sending the Tx in for tuning.

Use of a synthesized system allows us to change channels legaly when there is another modeler already using our frequency, or if we have several planes on different channels, or freq shifts.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:19 PM
Aeromodeler

I meant buy a crystal for the RX's to match a shift selectable TX.....
20 bucks in crystals would let him use what he has and then future purchases would be centered around the TX.........
Keep it simple...........
Old 07-16-2003, 12:06 AM
strato911

Sorry for misinterpretting your response.

However, buzzbomber doesn't seem to currently own a Tx capable of shift select. I think this is part of the reason he has asked this question.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:01 PM
BuzzBomber

Is the tracker only available direct from polk? I haven't seen any other vendors selling it. Is it available as a stand alone, w/o Rx? To clear things up, I don't really envision myself doing anything other than relatively casual sport flying, and probably will never use 1/3 of the advanced features available in the tracker or the eclipse. I basically just want to streamline my inventory of transmitters to one main and one less-featured backup. I believe this would be more sufficient for my purposes. The eclipse looks like the least expensive option at the moment, but I will research the tracker a little. It appears that some vendors still have the prism, but only as a full setup (full-priced, too, where I looked). Just to make things a little more confusing, does anyone know anything about the availabilty of multiplex radios? People I've spoken to who have used the multiplex radios speak very highly of them, and the cockpit Tx claims to have "FCC legal user swappable crystals" However, it doesn't appear that shift is selectable--positive only, unless I'm wrong. I guess I oughta just stick to the hitec or polk.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:27 PM
strato911

Buzz - you just described my flying needs to a "T" - Sport flying for pleasure. Last fall I was looking to do exactly what you are after. After researching all the radios, I had narrowed my option down to the Eclipse when I stumbled accross the Tracker II. Many emails later, and a few phone calls too and I was sold. Although I've never even seen an Eclipse in person, based upon specifications, the Tracker II beats it hands down, for only a few $$ more. Let me know if you would like a copy of the manual to help in your decision.

To the best of my knowledge, the Tracker II is only available through Polk's Hobbies. By buying direct from them, there is no "midlle man" trying to earn a commision, which helps keep the price low.

I have no personal experience with Multiplex, but overseas they are quite popular. In North America they are very expensive compared to the competition, but that may change now that Hitec has brought Multiplex to North America. Tower Hobbies has added them to their product offering.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:40 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Buzz:

I got my Tracker II from Modeltronics in Van Buren, Arkansas at our annual Memorial Day event. Below is his address and e-mail. I do not believe he has a website. There may be more dealers out there somewhere. I am talking with our LHS about carrying at least Seeker's - of which I now have 5.

Modeltronics Hobby Traders
2421 Co-Op Drive
Van Buren AR 72956
E-Mail: [email protected]

Dan
Old 07-16-2003, 02:53 PM
BuzzBomber

I'll try to find out if anyone in my club uses a tracker, so I can get a good look at it. One of my friends has the eclipse, so I am familiar enough with that......dealing with Polk's actually isn't a problem (they're actually based about an hour from where I live, so delivery and service times should theoretically be quick), I was just looking for some sort of price comparison. It appears that one has to buy the tracker II with the seeker Rx. I know I'll need another Rx later, just trying to keep the pricetag low enough to slip under the radar...
Old 07-16-2003, 04:03 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Buzz:

My Tracker II complete w/Seeker II, receiver pack, switch and one servo was $260.00 at the event. Terry Rollins (owner of Modeltronics) told me that he had purchased "a bunch" of the radios at the same time. He did not enumerate "a bunch" however.

As I understand it, the price is scheduled to increase to $300.00 in the near future. Still, I think it is a bargain.

Oh yes, I have an Eclipse w/Spectra and a Futaba 9C. I do intend on keeping the 9C as a back up radio and also to use should I encounter any complex situations that the Tracker II won't handle.

Dan
Old 07-17-2003, 02:36 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

What's nice about the Seeker RX is that you can use it with any FM TX. I plan on keeping a backup TX or two also and it's nice to know I don't need to change the RX when I want to use it.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:04 PM
strato911

Originally posted by buzzbomber
It appears that one has to buy the tracker II with the seeker Rx. I know I'll need another Rx later, just trying to keep the pricetag low enough to slip under the radar...
The Tracker II Tx is available on it's own for $200 according to Mr. Polk. You'll probably have to place the order by phone though, since it isn't listed seperately on their website.

Also, he mentioned that they are selling to dozens of retailers, but recently Hobby Lobby ordered a sample. This means there's a good posibility they will sell this nationally soon.