RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Are servo sizes standardized?

Old 03-23-2010, 09:46 AM
shaggy48

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Are servo sizes standardized?

I'm building a plane with one set of servos with the intention of changing out a couple of the servos later.

So I'm curious if I put JR DS821 servos in (because I have them), will I be able to replace them with say the a Hitec 5645MG later and have the bolt holes fit perfectly. Or will I have a problem with the mounting holes not being the same.

Thanks
Shaggy
Old 03-23-2010, 10:17 AM
JIMF14D

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Are servo sizes standardized?

Servos are not standard as far as Iknow. But you could look at the web or measure your servo hole setup and then look on the Hitec site and get all the servo info to compare. Generally adapting is not a proble as you can always glue a thin ply piece in place to make new hole locations.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Unfortunately no. Although many servos are close, some very close, they're not all exactly the same. I don't know about the two specific servos you mentioned, but more than likely, to change servos and brands entails some mods for the mount. It's best to build for the servos you want, mount them then leave them for the life of the plane. If you later need to replace one, to exactly match the holes and sizing, the best way to guarantee the fit is to replace it with an identical servo. If necessary you can fill the servo screw holes with epoxy, then redrill for the new servo, if it fits in the servo cutout or rails.

For Hitec and Futaba, if you go to www.servocity.com , they have diagrams showing dimensions and hole spacing, etc. At least that gives you info for those servos ahead of time. I have to assume somewhere, similar info is available for JR servos, then you can know for sure. Someone will probably post the JR info for you to look at.

Edit for URL fix
Old 03-24-2010, 06:31 PM
shaggy48

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok thanks. I better wait to get the right ones then.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Now that they are all useing a somewhat standard plug, I wish they would work on makeing them the same mounting pattern also. I don't mind making the cutout larger, but when the holes don't line up, it makes switching Brands very difficult.