Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Whats The Right Servo?

Old 03-23-2010, 12:18 PM
skysfallin
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats The Right Servo?

I was looking at my gas plane running the other day with the canopy off and realizing (watching) what a beating the throttle servo was taking with vibration. The plane is new and only ten flights on it but I can't imagine that servo is going to last too much longer. It's a Futaba3004 standard servo. So I would like to upgrade that servo before it lets me down and was looking for some suggestions on which one to replace it with. All of the other servos in the plane are HiTec 7985 digitals. I don't have a lot of experience in gassers, this being my first one, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:47 PM
JustPlaneSweet

Default RE: Whats The Right Servo?

How about a [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFUL0&P=V]servo saver?[/link] Any servo is going to receive the beating.

Stan
Old 03-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Mikecam

I used the Hitec 5625 mg servo and so far it is working well. Fast speed and strong gear train. Also make sure your prop and spinner are balanced.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUZ76&P=ML
Old 03-23-2010, 04:58 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

If your vibration is excessive, you may want to check your engine needle valves for proper adjustment and balance your prop. I have had a Hitec HS-225 in my 33% Wildhare Extra 260 with a DA-85 for over 400 flights with no problems on the throttle servo.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:04 PM
skysfallin
My Feedback: (10)

What is a servo saver?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:26 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before computer radios, we mechanical Servo Savers on Throttle Linkages, in particular. The Throttle Pushrod would pass through an EZ Connector on the Throttle Servo Arm, and there would be Springs on either side of the EZ Connector held in place by Wheel Collars. When you moved the Throttle Stick, the Throttle Servo Arm would move and when the Throttle Arm, on the Carb, came to a stop, the Springs would Compress and prevent the Servo from Binding. There are other uses for Servo Savers, but being able to set End Points, or Travel Volume, has reduced or eliminated the need for them.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Carpilot

ORIGINAL: skysfallin

I was looking at my gas plane running the other day with the canopy off and realizing (watching) what a beating the throttle servo was taking with vibration. The plane is new and only ten flights on it but I can't imagine that servo is going to last too much longer. It's a Futaba3004 standard servo. So I would like to upgrade that servo before it lets me down and was looking for some suggestions on which one to replace it with. All of the other servos in the plane are HiTec 7985 digitals. I don't have a lot of experience in gassers, this being my first one, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I have had great luck with metal gear servos and before that great luck with nylon gear servos, avoid karbonite gears for anything on a gas plane. I have some older nylon gear (white plastic) standard servos in a smaller gas plane that have at least 125 flights and they hold up nice.

I did try a servo with a karbonite gear train once and the vibration took out the gears before I even flew it.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:47 PM
JustPlaneSweet

skysfallin,

A servo saver is made up of a hub that rigidly attaches to the servo and a housing with the arm that can rotate relative to the hub. There are a pair of springs in the housing that keep the arm centered relative to the hub. The springs will absorb shock transmitted back through the arm. Post #2 has a link to one on Tower Hobbies.

I edited this reply to include an image. The red squiggles represent the two springs. The hub and housing each have a couple of ears (blue and black lines) that the springs press against.

Stan

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50989.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1404056