RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

how many channels??? Please help!

Old 04-13-2010, 12:26 PM
FlyingRod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default how many channels??? Please help!

Hi,

First I want say Hello! to everybody on this forum. This is my first post (first of many I hope!). I'm a beginner airplane and heli pilot, and I am really looking forward to making this Hobby a real part of my life from now on!

I know many threads have been posted on this topic, but my question is rather more specific. These are my needs:

1) I am currently running a trainer electric plane and a blade mSR heli (really beginner!). My plan is to make the quickest and smartest but at the same time safest shortcut to turbine-Jets and a T-rex 600 Heli (e.g. more efficient path to them). I am not really motivated to do fast, "zero-gravity" incredible piruottes or highly complex 3D acrobacy. I am looking forwardto Model airplanes and helis and turbine-based Jets asmy future. I do love to watch acrobacies but my feeling is more toward Scale models.

2) I want to invest in a nice radio control that will allow me in the future to get to fly a T-rex 600 andturbine-jets (such as the RC kangaroo Jet or more advanced ones). My budget limit is ~$500

3) I am also getting to use Phoenix simulator so it'd be great if it is compatible with it

I was looking into the Hitec Aurora 9 and all the hype it's brought.... I like that one...I'd like to hear your opinions though. ..I hope you can help me!

Thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 12:37 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: how many channels??? Please help!

If you have a budget, you can forget Jets and Helis

This is a little more than $500, but it's worth twice it's price:

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...k9255m_bn.html
Old 04-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FlyingRod

2) I want to invest in a nice radio control that will allow me in the future to get to fly a T-rex 600 and turbine-jets (such as the RC kangaroo Jet or more advanced ones). My budget limit is ~$500

Is that limit for the radio only or for the whole aircraft combo?

If it is for the radio only, Bump it up to about $600 and start looking at the 9 channel radios; Here is an example of one:
[link]http://search.horizonhobby.com/index.jsp?N=0&Ntt=9503&sid=127F8712C429[/link]

The most efficient way to get to a certain point on this hobby, is to start as close as possible to that point. If you wanted a Trex 600, why did you buy an MSR? If you spend the money twice, then it becomes in-efficient. You could have started with the 600, and the help of a local pilot and be flying in no time, the heli that you wanted.

Regarding the world of turbines, then it becomes a little different. If you are in the USA, and intend to fly under the AMA unbrella there are a few steps you need to take.....I can't recall the specific teps, but first you need to learn to fly plank... Ahem, Planes first, then you need to find a CD with turbine waiver and fly in front of him a set of maneuvers. Then you get a turbine waiver. I might be missing some steps.....

Then untimately, as noted above, if your entire budget is $500 for the aircraft combo (radio and aircraft) then you might have to forget about helis, and definitely forget about turbines. Sorry if we are being too blunt.

Rafael
Old 04-13-2010, 02:11 PM
FlyingRod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the advice Rafael,

- My limit is 500 for the radio only. I mentioned the aurora 9 becuase it is a 9 channel under $500. I'll research the ones you mentioned though

- You may be right, I bought the mSR only because I was advised to do so by the guy in the RC shop (too naive?). He said the learning curve shouldbethe mSR, then SR and then T-rex450. Actually, you are the first one saying that I should have gotten the T-rex600 already and be trained in a field by an expert.Now i may have an excuse to go directly to the big guy! I still think that the simulator will help me out a little bit

- I didnt know about those regulations... thanks a lot for that. I wasplanningonce Imaster the basic flying(props plane)to get to something like the Habu EDF BNF before getting into turbines

-Rod

ORIGINAL: Rafael23cc

2) I want to invest in a nice radio control that will allow me in the future to get to fly a T-rex 600 andturbine-jets (such as the RC kangaroo Jet or more advanced ones). My budget limit is ~$500

Is that limit for the radio only or for the whole aircraft combo?

If it is for the radio only, Bump it up to about $600 and start looking at the 9 channel radios; Here is an example of one:
[link]http://search.horizonhobby.com/index.jsp?N=0&Ntt=9503&sid=127F8712C429[/link]

The most efficient way to get to a certain point on this hobby, is to start as close as possible to that point. If you wanted a Trex 600, why did you buy an MSR? If you spend the money twice, then it becomes in-efficient. You could have started with the 600, and the help of a local pilot and be flying in no time, the heli that you wanted.

Regarding the world of turbines, then it becomes a little different. If you are in the USA, and intend to fly under the AMA unbrella there are a few steps you need to take.....I can't recall the specific teps, but first you need to learn to fly plank... Ahem, Planes first, then you need to find a CD with turbine waiver and fly in front of him a set of maneuvers. Then you get a turbine waiver. I might be missing some steps.....

Then untimately, as noted above, if your entire budget is $500 for the aircraft combo (radio and aircraft) then you might have to forget about helis, and definitely forget about turbines. Sorry if we are being too blunt.

Rafael
Old 04-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Rafael23cc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

- My limit is 500 for the radio only. I mentioned the aurora 9 becuase it is a 9 channel under $500. I'll research the ones you mentioned though
May I ask why the budget limit? Excuse the personal question, but people in this hobby are not used to hearing that a person that is willing to drop money on a turbine to have budget limits. Usually when the goal is a turbine, normally the budget is not a concern. Most of the people that I know that own turbines, already have a radio in the $1200 range. For example a Futaba 14MZ, a JR12X or something in a similar category. They do not set budget limits and allow that budget to hinder their radio or accesory selection for such complex machine.

The previous was a rethorical question followed by an explanation of my thoughts, you don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Rafael
Old 04-13-2010, 04:18 PM
FlyingRod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rafael23cc

May I ask why the budget limit? Excuse the personal question, but people in this hobby are not used to hearing that a person that is willing to drop money on a turbine to have budget limits. Usually when the goal is a turbine, normally the budget is not a concern. Most of the people that I know that own turbines, already have a radio in the $1200 range. For example a Futaba 14MZ, a JR12X or something in a similar category. They do not set budget limits and allow that budget to hinder their radio or accesory selection for such complex machine.

The previous was a rethorical question followed by an explanation of my thoughts, you don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Rafael

No problem at all...

I just want to buy a radio that will work my current level but will also allow me to move forward to basic turbine-jets without having to buy a new Radio...at least for the entry level...in other words... a "minimum" radio that will work well for that purpose... I do not think I'll have the budget in the near future to have 5-6 different pro jets with 5 pro helis, but I do have now to access to a entry level Jet...which is my current goal .. I'd be happy with only one, good very basic turbine jet.. Then I'll see...

Old 04-14-2010, 01:56 PM
FlyingRod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After some readings, these are my options:

Hitec Aurora 9

Futaba 10CG

Futaba 12FGA

Futaba 12FGA goes obviously beyond the range of the other two... now.. does it make sense to spend that extra money for the 12FGA considering the aurora 9 programming capabilities? (for the purposes I exposed above)

I would appreciate your input guys

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2010, 03:41 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They are all fine radios. The A9 has more features for the cost as it has been heavily discounted.

One thing you should consider is does the Transmitter meet or exceed your needs. The other thing to consider is what Rx's are available in each category (light foamy, park flyer, full range, 5/6/7/9/10/12ch, etc.).
Old 04-14-2010, 05:39 PM
crazy8s
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After some readings, these are my options:

Hitec Aurora 9

Futaba 10CG

Futaba 12FGA

Futaba 12FGA goes obviously beyond the range of the other two... now.. does it make sense to spend that extra money for the 12FGA considering the aurora 9 programming capabilities? (for the purposes I exposed above)

I would appreciate your input guys

Thanks!
Why have you not considered the Airtronics SD-10G radio??? With the 7 channel receiver its $350 and with the 10 channel receiver its $400. It's certainly a much better deal price wise then the $650 Futaba 10C !!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:29 PM
FlyingRod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the answers!

I just want the best radiothat will allow me to do a T-rex600 and a basic jet...Iam really a newbiein the field, but i do not want to buy 3 - 4 radios in the future... I want to go with a good one. If basic turbine jets need 12 channels than I'll buy one..and of course I need to learn aLOT first...If 9 channels is enough for basic jets, then I want to buy the best 9 channel... is that simple. That way, my plan is to get used to the controls and complexity of a nice radio right away

I thought of Hitec and Futaba because they are well known. I've heard Futaba is one of best out there (I may be wrong of course), but if the Aurora 9 will do the trick for what I want I'll buy it....I do not know anything of Airtronics

-Rod

Old 04-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Mikecam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I love my 10c and the fact you get a 14 channel receiver with it and 7 channel receiver for 10$ makes it a good choice.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Rafael23cc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If basic turbine jets need 12 channels than I'll buy one..and of course I need to learn a LOT first...If 9 channels is enough for basic jets, then I want to buy the best 9 channel... is that simple.
You are on the right track, but I will add one more variable to your decision making process. Radios not only have number of channels making the most difference, but they also have features of their programming. A radio with 12 channels will have a set of features that a 9 channel radio might not have, and it will be a dream on a 6 channel radio.

Multiple flight modes, throttle curves, dual, triple, and quadruple rates. Servo sync, programmable servo speed. 7 point throttle and pitch curves. Tail rotor curve. There are a lot of functions programmed into modern computer radios. And last, you should hold the radio and see which one fits best on your hands. And make sure that you can reach all the switches and you are able to operate all the knobs, sliders, and switches without having to strain too much to reach them.

I hope that by now you have re-assessed your budget. $500 is not going to cut it, if you just want to buy once. Spend some time learning from experienced pilots before you spend a dime.

Rafael
Old 04-15-2010, 07:16 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the answers!

I just want the best radio that will allow me to do a T-rex600 and a basic jet... I am really a newbie in the field, but i do not want to buy 3 - 4 radios in the future... I want to go with a good one. If basic turbine jets need 12 channels than I'll buy one..and of course I need to learn a LOT first...If 9 channels is enough for basic jets, then I want to buy the best 9 channel... is that simple. That way, my plan is to get used to the controls and complexity of a nice radio right away

I thought of Hitec and Futaba because they are well known. I've heard Futaba is one of best out there (I may be wrong of course), but if the Aurora 9 will do the trick for what I want I'll buy it.... I do not know anything of Airtronics

-Rod

This is an exciting hobby that insures that you will not receive socks or ties for Xmas or birthday gifts and causes hours day dreaming about what airplane is next or just down the road. Welcome to the crew that never grows up. There have been thousands if not hundreds of thousands of folks all over the world who have had similar thoughts as you when they first become addicted. A dose of reality that you may not want to hear is that your initial thoughts about getting started and what gear to buy so that you can ultimately graduate to jets is simply not realistic. To think that you are going to be able to program a 12FG, 12FZ or 14MZ is just not achievalbe and most likely you will ultimately quit in frustration. This hobby begins just like learning to fly full scale and you will go through each stage, like it or not, simply because you are a fellow human and the guy who made us decided to make most of us somewhat similar - although I think he may have run out of some of the good parts when he put me together. Flying an electric trainer and a Blade heli is several years, many planes, lots of building learning, many - many hours of needed flying experience, many hours of hands on radio programming and a good bit of money from getting any where close to flying gas turbine aircraft. Actually, it is a big jump from there to jsut solo a 46 sized glow trainer. In my professional life I was always good at taking very complex issues and making them simple and achievable and one time when I was not able figure out how to reduce a complex task so that others could proceed, a respected associate reminded me that there are some things in life that are complex and that is just the way it is. Your jouney to gas turbine airplanes begins with the first step keep the dream alive a step at a time. Today you have many options for radios and equipment. Find an instructor that is mild mannered, experienced, mature, and willing to tell you the truth. Start with a 46 sized glow trainer, don't buy cheap engines and for a radio how about Futaba 10C, or Hitec A9 or the Airtronics SD-10G. Of those three radios the Airtronics SD-10G is the most versatile and complete (and the least expensive at the moment) , I own an A9 and it is ok, the Futaba is excellent. They all have features that you will not be able to use or even understand for a very long time and all have extraordinary customer support. I would also recommend that you ask your instructor what he flies because is can be helpful to have the same brand (I taught students for many years) I also fly a Futaba 14MZ and it is my favorite,hands down, best radio ever - I have been flying RC for forty years. Good luck, welcome to the hobby, let us know when you solo the glow trainer.

Howard

PS I failed to mention that the Airtronics manual for theSD-10G is light years ahead of any other brand's manual. It is thorough, tells you all the basics and then goes into the more complex stuff and also tells you just how you might use each one of the features. It is quite long and is the best example in the US of what a native language manual should look like. Download the three manuals as PDF files, read them all and maybe that will help you choose which radio. Don't forget to check with your instructor so that you can use your radio on a buddy box and not have to use a club loaner or a beater buddy box that the instructor bought himself for those that don't have the needed equipment.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:40 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Howard has some excellent points.  There aren't any shortcuts, unless money is absolutely no object.  Time, too.

Realistically, you're several years away from your turbine goal.  Technology is going to change quite a bit during that time.  Why spend a lot today on a radio that you won't be able to fully utilize?  By the time you can fully utilize it, you'll have gained considerable experience.  That experience might lead you to desire a different radio than the one you pick today, with so little experience.

There's very little to be gained by flying simple models with an advanced radio as opposed to a simpler radio.  You won't be using many of the advanced features, so there's no experience to be gained with them.  How do you become accustomed to the "controls and complexity" just by holding it as you fly models that don't require it?

Do you want to progress as quickly as possible?  Spend your money on batteries, fuel, and flying time.  Nothing else will move you towards your goal.  You may also find that your goal shifts as you find your personal preferences and limitations.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:03 AM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To beat this to death-

Plan on years before turbines. I've been flying for a decade and I'm comfortable with a 120mph pylon ship but still the though of flying a turbine would make me very nervous.

You will spend thousands of dollars on planes working your way up and then probably $5,000 + on your first turbine model. You will need to be very proficient with large scale complex high wing loading aircraft that can fly over 100mph sustained before you even try out a turbine trainer. It takes years and $$$ to build the skillset to do it safely.

No one wants to discourage you, we just don't want you to jump in over your head and quit of frustration (or worse get hurt)...
Old 04-15-2010, 05:04 PM
FlyingRod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks a lot for the comments guys!!...I really really appreciate them.

I would seriously consider the controls just mentioned above and the advices. I'd like to add that I never had in mind that I'll be flying jets any time soon. It is my final goal. And I'm not someone who went last week to a flying field and got excited with the Hobby for first time. I have been addicted to this from years, but only now do I have the financial situation to get to a point where money would not be a major concern, I was waiting for this moment long time ago. I decided once I got to this point, I'd "reactivate" my vibe for this.

As a last word, and for you to know me better, I come from Chile, and Im doing my PhD here. There, this hobby belongs to a very small group of people, but they are very addicted to it as well. I do not know of anybody flying turbines there, so I'd really like to take this "tech" to the country once I get back there, and provide nexus between people in US and this forum of course.

Im much more clear now with your help... although I'd still love to have the futaba 12FGA!!!

-Rod

Old 04-15-2010, 08:23 PM
DougV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Rod,

I decided to sell my backup 12FGH/TM-14 FASST radio, the unit is a little over a year old but this is my backup radio so I haven’t use it that much.

PM me if you're still interested.

Saludos,
Doug.