RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Did I Fry My Receiver??

Old 07-17-2003, 03:14 AM
rcpilot44
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Did I Fry My Receiver??

I was testing some servos and I hooked up my 6 volt battery to a Futaba receiver on channel 8 and I must have plugged the battery in backwards and smoke immediately started coming out of the connector on the battery. I unplugged the battery and two of the three pins from the receiver came out with it and were stuck in the battery connector. Can I put the pins back into the receiver, is my battery fried (it got warm instantly), is my receiver gone forever?? Thanks guys.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:34 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It doesn't sound good, and I definitely would not fly it until it's been checked out...

Also, what you describe seems odd... I don't know why the receiver would care about reverse polarity... Maybe I'm missing something and someone will enlighten me...

What you describe sounds like a short circuit across the positive and negative leads in the battery connector and it got hot enough to melt the solder that hold the pins to the receiver connector bus...
Old 07-17-2003, 04:39 AM
Giant Scale

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd definitely get the receiver checked out. Sounds like a short circuit in the battery lead may have caused it.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:46 AM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wouldn't trust the battery ever again but the receiver may be salvageable.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:50 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Lynx
I wouldn't trust the battery ever again
Good point!
Old 07-18-2003, 01:25 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Lynx
I wouldn't trust the battery ever again but the receiver may be salvageable.
Are you sure you don't have those two reversed?
Old 07-18-2003, 02:52 PM
rcpilot44

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I guess I will send the receiver in for a checkup. It was a brand new battery, I bought it from Radical RC, in the trash it goes.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:59 PM
SkyDude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If it was a brand new battery, I'd send it back to Radical RC and see what they say.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:33 PM
rcpilot44

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The trouble I had with this company, $22.00 is not worth it!! Do a thread search on radical rc and you will see what I mean.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:11 PM
visioneer_one

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Was this a nicad or NIMH battery? I assume you unplugged it fairly quickly?

If its a nicad its probably fine. New NIMH cells don't tolerate high amp loads well - you may have to cycle it a few times.

In either case - so long as the leads haven't melted the battery is most likely just fine.

As for the receiver.. I have a hard time trusting electronics of any kind once the magic smoke escapes
Old 07-19-2003, 05:34 PM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nicad's don't go in the trash...
Old 07-21-2003, 02:52 AM
KB9STD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default receiver reverse polarity?

I see the trouble RC pilot has had with service from Radical R/C,
and I appreciate his feelings (not wishing to do business with them). I myself had dealt with Dave repeatedly with no troubles,and don't share RC pilot's views. Regardless of your opinion of Radical R/C's service,it makes no difference to the truth of the statements he makes in his FAQs.Take note of the quotes from Tim Marks of FMA, and from GWS(Dave sells receivers from them ,and so their comments are of direct interest to customers having purchased them. The point they make about plugging the battery in backward destroying a receiver apply to any receiver regardless of brand).

Quoted from Radical R/C FAQs:

Receivers: GWS R4P, GWS R6N, FMA Extreeme 5 or M5 doesn't work? Make sure if it is a GWS 4 or 6 channel that your RX matches your TX. A white sticker on the RX with an "F" in it works with Futaba and Hitec transmitters, a "J" means it will work with Airtronics or JR TX's. Make sure the black or brown wire in your battery, servo and ESC connector is plugged into the pin that is connected to the circuit board closest to the edge. Notice that they are all soldered together. The signal pins are not joined together and they are always closest to the middle of the circuit board. The pins at the end edge of the circuit board always the negative pin on any RX (excepting vintage old style Airtronics RX's). Don't let the instructions and printing on these RX's fog your mind. If you've plugged it in backwards then there is a smoked voltage regulator on the board and it is not returnable. I can't put the smoke back in for you. You can buy a new RX and be sure to leave the genie in the bottle next time. They just don't work once the smoke gets out. FMA has made the specific statement to us that the RX's are tuned, tested and then put in the package. Both GWS and FMA RX's are not packed with burnt up voltage regulators. FMA RX's are warranted by FMA, don't send them to me. GWS RX's with burnt looking voltage regulators or smell like burnt electronics will be returned to you. It is perfectly normal for a GWS RX that is not receiving a signal from a TX to wiggle and jiggle the servo's.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:23 AM
Borzak
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guy who wrote the FAQ sounds like an A#1 Ass - glad I've avoided that company so far.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:57 PM
visioneer_one

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There's a difference between being "an A#1 Ass" and not sugarcoating the truth. You break it - you own it. Simple as that.

If you ran your Jeep without oil and fragged the motor, would you expect the dealer to give you a new one?
Old 07-25-2003, 01:48 AM
KB9STD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The intent of my post was neither to advance or dicredit Radical RC.It just happens to be where I had seen the message.As I read the replies to this post,it seemed that everyone was concerned about the battery (and it does deserve attention). I simply wanted to point out that plugging the battery in backward WILL probably destroy a receiver. It happens that Dave Thacker has addressed the issue, AND that he quotes representatives of GWS and FMA (Fred Marks is my personal "Go TO' guy when it comes to RC radio equipment. I'll take his word when everyone else says otherwise. I've used far to much equipment He has designed to doubt his expertise).

There....Now THat's a plug for You!!!