Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 6EX Flap "Knob" Modification

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:09 PM
cpeisher
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 6EX Flap "Knob" Modification

Has anyone modified the Futaba 6EX 2.4 GHz radio transmitter to have a knob for the flap channel as opposed to the on/off switch? I'd really like to either have a knob, or a three position switch so i can have the flaps in one fo three positions
1 - Off
2 - Take-Off
3 - Landing

Thanks for your help!!
Chris
Old 04-19-2010, 12:16 PM
cpeisher

Default RE: Futaba 6EX Flap

Another member made this suggestion as a mod to the radio to enable more versatile flap function...

has anyone done this?  I'm not exactly sure what a rheostat is, i assume that it's just a knob, right?
Old 04-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Futaba 6EX FASST transmitter cannot have the 5th and 6th channel switches modified to a knob. The processor only sees an "on" or "off" state for those two channels. A rheostat or pot won't work in that application. A three-position switch will also not work because the processor only recognizes two states, and not three.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:28 PM
cpeisher

Well, that kinda stinks.  Kinda wishing i had just purchased a 7C now instead of the 6EX.   Do i have any other options...is there a way to modify the position of the flaps using both channel 6 and 7 from the receiver, without using a second servo? 
Old 04-19-2010, 02:11 PM
cpeisher

ORIGINAL: Bax

The Futaba 6EX FASST transmitter cannot have the 5th and 6th channel switches modified to a knob. The processor only sees an "on" or "off" state for those two channels. A rheostat or pot won't work in that application. A three-position switch will also not work because the processor only recognizes two states, and not three.

I know your a rep for Futaba, so if anyone shoud know,it's you!! :-) But i'm a stubborn engineer and i loke to ask questions so im going to ask anyway... Are you sure about that? The reason i ask, is because i stumbled on an old picture of the 6EXAS in a listing in the RCU Marketplace...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=622612

Let me postulate something and you tell me if i'm just plain wrong or if i may be onto something...

Now this is the sameform factor,and for the most part the same radio as the 6EX 2.4 GHz, but it's just the 72MHz version. This picture shows a knob on the top right of the transmitter. In the manual for the 6EXA they identify this knob as a Flap Knob. Could it be that all they did was replace it with a switch? In terms of coding, the switch would still show the same voltage as the rheostat did at the travel limits, so the radio program would only know the difference between the two if Futaba programmers actually went in and specifically coded that input to only see On/Off (discrete at 0 and 1v for example) instead of variable (continuous from 0to 1v and including all values inbetween).

So, what do ya think, am i just way off?

Old 04-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The 6EX FASST transmitter has a different processor than the 72 MHz version, so a knob in not possible on the 6EX 2.4 GHz FASST transmitter.