Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

AR6100 in E-flite Pitts Model 12 15e ARF?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:15 PM
wings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AR6100 in E-flite Pitts Model 12 15e ARF?

Anyone see a problem using an AR6100 receiver in a E-flite Pitts Model 12 15e ARF?

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL2550

I am pretty sure it will be alright as I found this on the FAQ at Spektrum's site:
http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/FAQ.aspx
# When using the Module system with the AR6100 DSM2 microlite 6-Channel Receiver, it´s imperative that this receiver only be flown in parkflyer type models. This includes all types of small electric airplane and mini and micro helicopters. Do not fly the AR6100 receiver in large gas or glow aircraft, as loss of control at extended range due to signal and/or blocking issues can occur.
But am I little concerned about what exactly justifies a "small electric airplane". Small is a relative term, lol

This plane has a 40" wingspan. There are many electric airplanes that are small, but many that are larger...

I can't really think of anything that would block the signal other than maybe the battery. But the blade 400's battery is nearly the same dimension, a little bit smaller I guess...

I am pretty sure it would be OK, just looking for some reassurance I guess.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:12 AM
JIMF14D

Default RE: AR6100 in E-flite Pitts Model 12 15e ARF?

I don't link the limit has much to do with the weight or construction.
The real limit is range and how far away you will fly it as it not a full range RX. I have used the 6210 in small Herr Little Extra EP conversion (2+#) wt. with no problem at the ranges I could see it.  I have the E-Flite Pitts 12 and just happened to use the AR6250 carbon fiber Rx because I had it. I always try to err on the safe side. I have flown this out to the same distances that I would fly a .46 size gas model with no problems.

By the way, the Pitts is a very nice airplane, the best flying airplane I have had.

But the construction is very lite especially the landing gear mount. You cannot land or bounce this thing as you might a 5 pound 40 size gas model on landing for sure!

Very easy to fold the gear back even with a pretty good wheel landing especially on grass. I suggest you take a little time and beef up the mount before it gets broken as it is not easy to fix once the structure has been broken. I fixed mine by adding small pieces of very lite glass tape the bulkhead/fuselage attach points on the bulkheads fwd and aft of the gear mount and also add some epoxy glue to the gear plate joints to add some strength.  Also around where the motor mount box attaches to the fuselage. The skin is almost tissue paper balsa so there is not much to work with.

If you look at the Horizon reviews on this plane  you will see other people reporting this problem and at my field there are three, all of which have had the gear folded back on landing.

Have fun.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:23 AM
wings

Thanks for that valuable information! Will have to definitely strengthen her up. Many of times my landings are less than graceful, lol

Did you program any aileron differential into this plane?

I have an AR500 receiver which is full range, but I can't program differential with this receiver...

Old 04-18-2010, 12:01 PM
JIMF14D

I have the ailerons with servos set as flaperons using 5 channels but Idid not add any differential. It seems to fly fine but Iam not an expert pilot so Iprobably woiuld not know the difference.

By the way the rudder is very powerful and you can make nice tight knife edge turns and circles. In fact you can make really nice climbing knife edge turns or circles. At low speed/power the nose wants to drop with a high bank angle so opposite rudder is very useful in high bank turns.

Unless you have fast thumbs Iwould suggest not going near high rates on ailerons unitl you get used to the thing. Dual aileron rates using only 40% aileron and 30% expo are quick enough for me most of the time!

Landings are slow and easy but keep some power on and fly it to the ground. Took the wheel pants off after a few flights on grass as they tend to catch and cause it to nose over at the end. If you are never on grass the pants are no problem.

Also make sure the little ply tabs that are in the ailerons for the upper/lower push rod connections are glued in. On mine one came out while Iwas connecting the pushrods.

Have fun!

Jim D

Old 04-18-2010, 01:04 PM
snuts

Wings, depending on which transmitter you have the second aileron can be made to work in the 5th port (GEAR). That would make the AR500 a better choice. I have been very impressed with the range of the 6110e. But I am starting to use the AR500's as park flyer, and slope glider receivers.
-Snuts-
Old 04-18-2010, 09:28 PM
wings

Thanks for the heads up on the landing gear. I reinforced it to day with a couple of horizontal pieces of ply. I hope that will do it. I will also drip some thin ca into the aileron ply piece. Thanks for telling me yours were not glued. Mine is covered so hopefully some thin Ca will do the trick.

I am not even close to being an expert pilot either. Probably not even average! But a few people have told me that adverse yall is a big problem with biplanes so I was worried about aileron differential on this one. This is my first biplane... well second, but never got to fly the first one.

Long story here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hooked-on-RC-Airplanes/264209564082#!/photo.php?pid=5075724&id=264209564082

It's funny you mentioned using the gear channel. I was actually playing with that in garage earlier... I couldn't get it to work right. When adjusted the subtrim on channel 5 I was able to get the two servos work very similar, but never could get them totally in sync. I also couldn't figure out how to disable the gear toggle. I would had to accidentally hit that in flight and mess the entire ailerons sync. off while in flight.

So... I broke down and ordered an AR6200.... I figured it never hurts to have too may receivers...

Thanks so much for the help guys!
Old 04-18-2010, 10:44 PM
snuts

That's an extra $20 that will come back to make you look smart! Sooner than you think, ha-ha.
Enjoy. -Snuts-