RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is my JR screwed?

Old 07-17-2003, 05:37 PM
Rotcivv17-RCU
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Is my JR screwed?

Hey guys I use my JR radios but my airplanes have Futaba servos. Since the connectors are the same, I thought I could charge the JR radio with the Futaba charger, so I did. The next day, the radio wouldn't turn on, and I smelled the battery and it smelled burnt out. I charged it again with the JR charger, and the voltmeter showed that the battery works, but still the radio won't turn on. Did I screw up my radio?
Old 07-17-2003, 06:54 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The voltage is reversed between the two brands, as you know now.

You've at least burnt one of the traces on the circuit board, most likely.
I'd send it in for checkout/repair. Maybe you got lucky enough not to totally fry it.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:03 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Stalk up another one for JR's evil center pin Negative. Don,t forget to check the glass fuse before sending it in.

John
Old 07-17-2003, 07:48 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What model transmitter is it? I made that mistake on my 10X and nothing happened? Sometimes it's just a fuse_bob
Old 07-17-2003, 11:04 PM
MO_Radio_Tech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Always read the manuals!!!

JR puts warnings in the manual and stuffs a big orange warning paper in the box too -- just for reverse polarity.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:29 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Reading the manual and looking at a big orange piece of paper will do no good for the times you reach for a charger and accidently grab the wrong one. All the warnings in the world will not negate (in my opinion) the simple fact that it is a rather cheezy marketing ploy by JR to control their customers spending And is the main reason I retired all my JR equipment.

Hopefully in this age of communication the manufacturers will get the message that these marketing tactics no longer work and if they truly want to survive in the market share race 'compatability' is indeed the name of the game.

Just one mans opinion

John
Old 07-18-2003, 01:36 AM
Ex-tech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just another man's opinion. You say JR's marketing ploy is cheezy, I say it's good (whether it's a marketing ploy or not is another story). Obviously, you guys are either too dumb or just too anxious to try out your new tx that you keep frying these things. I can't remember how many times I fixed a JR radio for reverse polarity damage. You know what they say, "haste, makes waste."
Old 07-18-2003, 04:49 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Ex-tech
Just another man's opinion. You say JR's marketing ploy is cheezy, I say it's good (whether it's a marketing ploy or not is another story).
I'm sorry this makes no sense to me... Why is it good? Not only are non JR radios at risk from JR chargers, but the reverse is true! JR transmitters are at risk from non-JR chargers... I can only see this as being good for the repair shops...

I don't care why JR puts the negative pole on the red wire (center pin), without changing the connector, but they do and I think it's evil and I won't give them my money because of it.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:28 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Which radio is it?

If its a JR computer radio with a seperate module (X-347 and up) there's a 90% probability that you've blown the fuse in the charging circuit. Check that before you mail it off.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:42 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Microsoft is evil... JR is far from evil. It is a obviously a marketing ploy to intentionally make you equipment incompatible with others, but it's not the first time and it won't be the last. I can't use OS parts in my YS engines and Futaba gears don't fit in my JR servos... doesn't make them evil. What would one expect them to do? Change now such that JR equipment is incompatible with JR equipment? That would be evil.

Sorry about your radio... hopefully it isn't fried and it is just the fuse.

Cheers
Old 07-18-2003, 04:24 PM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There shouldn't be anything burnt on the JR radio, except for the fuse - just replace it and you're on your way. (then again , which JR radio do you have?)
Old 07-18-2003, 05:27 PM
SkyDude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

At least the JR servos work with Futaba radios and receivers. I've heard this is a good combo and I'm going to try it out on one of my new planes - the Lancair!

So, out of the major comsumer radios (Futaba, JR, Airtronics, HiTec) - what is the largest group that's compatible? I only use Futabe radios so I don't have experience with different brands.

If JR is really the black sheep of the lot when it comes to charging polarity, then it seems to me that JR is asking to be left out...
Old 07-18-2003, 07:35 PM
mr.rc-cam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just replace the fuse and move on. It is in the little bay the removable RF module plugs into.

As far as it being an evil plan by JR, I believe that they introduced the now-popular 5mm female charge plug before Futaba. I recall that at the time Futaba was using a five pin DIN plug, later to be replaced by a goofy 5mm MALE jack. So, I do not think it is fair to call JR the villains on this issue.

I am just glad to see Futaba and Airtronics eventually adopted a JR-like servo connector!
Old 07-18-2003, 08:31 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't really see this as a marketing ploy. For one of those to be effective they've got to be more functional in nature, like using a different phase shift. A wall-wart costs what, $10? Not to mention that they come with radios...

The danger here is that people aren't aware of it. Once a person is it's not difficult in the least to properly label your charging leads.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:08 PM
MO_Radio_Tech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

JR has had the same polarity for 20+ years. Why should they screw over hundreds of thousands (millions?) of JR radio owners by changing polarity?

Why does Futaba/Hobbico choose to have different shift equipment than JR/Airtronics in the US, but be compatible elsewhere in the world?
Old 07-19-2003, 02:14 AM
smartman300

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The reason JR is different from everybody (and vice versa) is because JR wants you to use all JR equipment, not to go buy a competitor's equipment.

For servos, isn't it ironic that JR servos plug into Futaba, but Futaba servos don't fit into JR? There's no irony. It's a genius marketing ploy of JR so that others with non-JR equipmant can buy their stuff.

JR has a bunch of geniuses workin for them
Old 07-19-2003, 05:13 AM
MO_Radio_Tech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Which came first, modern JR servo plugs or Futaba?

I can make a Futaba servo plug fit in a JR receiver in 5 min with my x-acto anyway. Not as bad as different polarity of most Airtronics servos.

Have you considered the fact that all manufacturers promote brand loyalty? Futaba PCM does not work with other brands, etc.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:57 AM
Peter Khor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

But the point still being:

* JR has the same charge jack and polarity BEFORE Futaba used the same jack.

* Everywhere else in the world (non 72/75Mhz), everyone is on +ve shift, (even Futaba), but somehow for the NA market, they decided to switch polarity.

Then there's the Airtronics nifty servo wiring scheme (now abandoned)!

Just some fuel to the fire
Old 07-19-2003, 09:16 AM
ec121k

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Even the battery charger manufacturers post these differences in their manuals. It was in the Ace Digipulse manual.

No problem here. I just dumped my F brand gear.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:47 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gee, we've asked three times which transmitter this is? Wonder if the guy really cares anymore...
Old 10-22-2003, 06:42 PM
thecarpenter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Is my JR screwed?

I don't know about the original post but I have a XF622 and just did the same thing. This is my second time in 6 years. It is very easy to do, plug the BATTERY in to the radio backwards when using non JR(less expensive but the same quality, yeah I know not if I keep blowing radios) batteries. Anyway, the fuse never is fast enough to catch the problem, so all you guys can forget about the fuse being blown. I had to send it off last time.
But the point is, what part needs to be changed?? Any help from the extech guy would be appreciated. I can change the part myself if someone can point it out.
Also , anyone suggest a way to stop this, a diode or something soldered into the circuit?
Thanks for any help
Greg
Old 10-22-2003, 06:59 PM
Mac_Man_UK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Most of the modern JR range use an almost identical cct for the voltage regulation. When you zap it with a reverse voltage 9 times out of 10 it will blow a 78L05 SMT regulator IC and a small 1SS352 SMT diode. I had one in today, the Diode was a complete gonner but the reg was still putting out 3 Volts ( instead of 5V ) . The front panel symptom was that the contrast was faded and the Battery Volatge read high.

It took all of 5 minutes to replace the 2 devices. HOWEVER, once repaired, you have to carry out a recalibration of the Battery Display, AND recalibrate the sticks. Thats why it is easier in the long run to pop it into the post back to the workshops. ( Plus the work is guaranteed ).

[8D]
Old 10-22-2003, 07:19 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MO_Radio_Tech

JR has had the same polarity for 20+ years. Why should they screw over hundreds of thousands (millions?) of JR radio owners by changing polarity?

Why does Futaba/Hobbico choose to have different shift equipment than JR/Airtronics in the US, but be compatible elsewhere in the world?
This is the point that everyone seems to miss! And even if JR wasn't first with the polarity before Futaba, compatibility is almost always an issue until an industry adopts a standard, and so far RC hasn't. I still have to re-wire Airtronics servos to work with Futaba and JR. I can't plug my Super Nova charger cables into my Alpha 4. I can't use my Futaba transmitter with JR receivers. I can't use JR extension cords with Airtronics, Airtronics extensions with Futaba, or Futaba extensions with JR. My JR DSC cord does not work with Futaba, nor does the Futaba trainer cord work with JR. Dont even add in Airtronics, Multiplex, HiTech, Polk Hobbies, or other brands because it just gets too confusing. This list is indeed endless, but the point hopefully is clear. The charge cord polarity is only the tip of the compatibility iceberg, and most are because of a mixture of engineering, marketing, and cost decisions made in the design.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:50 PM
thecarpenter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the reply. It looks like I will be spending another $50. I could solder the part in, but probably can't recalibrate without special equipment.
If I put a diode in the circuit would that stop this from happening again? I have 3 batteries I swap around.
Greg
Old 10-23-2003, 04:49 AM
ChuckA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For at least the last 50 years and probably 50 years before that, the industry standard for concentric type plugs has been: Center is positive or signal while the outside has been negative or ground. I first learned this when I began studying for my ham license over 50 years ago. I gave up on JR years ago for other reasons but not following standards is one more reason for not using JR. Even if I did use JR radios, I cannot damage my equipment with the charger because I have only used the Sirius Charge for the last 7 years. The Sirius Charge checks for polarity and will not attempt to charge the battery unless the polarity is corect.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service