Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2.4 and WiFi interference

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:57 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2.4 and WiFi interference

I need some advice and/or real world experiences. We are going to put a high gain, directional antenna at our field so that the computer there will have internet access for our weather station and web cams. I wanted to know if anyone had any experience of WiFi interfering with 2.4 radios, be it Futaba or JR/Spektrum. The antenna would not be pointing across the flying area. It would be parallel to the runway and offset behind the runway about 50 feet. The routers would only use one of the WiFi channels and always be using the same one.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Adui

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2.4 and WiFi interference

If I understand the 2.4 radios correctly, the only issue you could possibly have is signal loss from RF interferance. I do not believe a wifi routers have enough power to cause this unless you flew really close to the router station.

Unfortunately this may be a try it and see issue though, so look for more knowleagable folks on here to chime in. If worst case you have to try it and see then do some range checks with the plane near the wifi antenna first, then a flight test if that passes without any unnecesary people at the site for safety reasons.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:10 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A high gain antenna gathers all of the transmitted energy and points in one direction. If you don't get directly in the beam you wont have any trouble. Even then you are not likely to notice anything. You will just pass trough it so fast it wont do anything.
A high gain antenna does not increase the transmitter power, it just concentrates it in one direction.

I once set my xpS system next to my WIFI antenna to see it interfered. It didn't even know it was there
Old 04-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What dirtybird said, not likely to cause a problem.