RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Buddy Box for Hitec Aurora 9 - Conflicting info?

Old 04-25-2010, 02:39 PM
GizmoMadMax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Buddy Box for Hitec Aurora 9 - Conflicting info?

Hello 'fellow' Aurora 9 lovers!!!!!

I just got in my A9 delivered this past Thurs afternoon, then flew Thurs eve after a 15min setup, then flew again fri eve, can you yahoo!!!!
Awesome radio, I talk about the specific features in the other main A9 thread, check it out!!!

BUT for this thread, I am getting conflicting information regarding a buddy box for my A9 ???
HiTec support stated this past Friday, that ONLY the Futaba or another Hitec transmitter would work, with the Hitec trainer cable #58321. BUT, my local hobby shop said otherwise... so below is the options from the two organizations:

Hitec said we could use the following buddy boxes:

1. Futaba buddy box
2. hitec LAzer 4 - old style 4channel, analog trims, ATV port?, trainer circuit, no dual rates, no Expo (HobbyHorse stripped lazer4 for $60)
3. Prizm 7
although I found this article, so I am really CONFUSED with hitec tech support this radio can be used as a buddy box []
4. Optic 6 - computer radio with basic features, like expo, dual rates, side sliders, delta, etc...
5. optic 6 sport - trimmed down full optic 6 model
6. Eclipse - I see a Eclipse 7 FM $250out there, but then I also see a Eclipse 7 2.4Ghz - This looks to be a FM or 2.4GHz module swap radio???

Local Hobby Shop stated:
BUT then my local hobby shop said that was not exactly correct... urggggg.. my local shop stated I can use any buddy box, specifically any JR Transmitter.
They stated the trainer cords work on ALL sytstems, A9, JR, Futaba, Hitec, so NOW I am confused...??

I need a cheap buddy box to hook to my A9 so my kids and friends can buddy box with me as I did with all my past JR & Airtronics systems!!! Great fun...

Thanks in advance for all your responses, appreciated!!! (Also thanks to RCU for these great forums!!!)

Old 04-25-2010, 03:45 PM
A.T.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Buddy Box for Hitec Aurora 9 - Conflicting info?

ORIGINAL: GizmoMadMax Hello 'fellow' Aurora 9 lovers!!!!!

I just got in my A9 delivered this past Thurs afternoon, then flew Thurs eve after a 15min setup, then flew again fri eve, can you yahoo!!!!
Awesome radio, I talk about the specific features in the other main A9 thread, check it out!!! BUT for this thread, I am getting conflicting information regarding a buddy box for my A9 ??? HiTec support stated this past Friday, that ONLY the Futaba or another Hitec transmitter would work, with the Hitec trainer cable #58321. BUT, my local hobby shop said otherwise... so below is the options from the two organizations:
Hitec said we could use the following buddy boxes:
1. Futaba buddy box
2. hitec LAzer 4 - old style 4channel, analog trims, ATV port?, trainer circuit, no dual rates, no Expo (HobbyHorse stripped lazer4 for $60)
3. Prizm 7
although I found this article, so I am really CONFUSED with hitec tech support this radio can be used as a buddy box []
4. Optic 6 - computer radio with basic features, like expo, dual rates, side sliders, delta, etc...
5. optic 6 sport - trimmed down full optic 6 model
6. Eclipse - I see a Eclipse 7 FM $250out there, but then I also see a Eclipse 7 2.4Ghz - This looks to be a FM or 2.4GHz module swap radio???
Local Hobby Shop stated:
BUT then my local hobby shop said that was not exactly correct... urggggg.. my local shop stated I can use any buddy box, specifically any JR Transmitter.
They stated the trainer cords work on ALL sytstems, A9, JR, Futaba, Hitec, so NOW I am confused...? I need a cheap buddy box to hook to my A9 so my kids and friends can buddy box with me as I did with all my past JR & Airtronics systems!!! Great fun... Thanks in advance for all your responses, appreciated!!! (Also thanks to RCU for these great forums!!!)
Whilst the Aurora has 4 set and 2 user defined (6) physical modes, the output of the channels remain the same so unless a converter is used, a JRTransmitter cannot be used with an Aurora.To date, have not been able to geta Han172 to operate JR/Aurora.
{later PS: please advise your LHS that whilst the center cable (Aurora<>Aurora<Optic Sportlooks similar to JR lead, it is not. JR uses amono cable wired Tip to Tip, Shield to Shield. Hitec cable is a stereo lead with Tip and Ring Cross Wired - defintely not interchangeable}

Best buddy boxes for an Aurora are the Eclipse, Optic 6,Optic 6 Sport, as all trims will be same whereas whilst Futaba TX can be used for simple models, Heli settings are different .
Please refer to Aurora FAQ - Sticky -Radio Manufacturer Direct Support >> Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service >> :

Aurora: Trainer / Buddy system Master & Slave function Set-up.

Aurora - Simulator function Set-up

more at
Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {frequently updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 04-25-2010, 11:00 PM
GizmoMadMax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the great info above!!!!

Question, can the FM version of these transmitters(Eclipse, Optic 6, Optic 6 Sport) be used for an Aurora 9 buddy box?
Eclipse, Optic 6, Optic 6 Sport

Or if we have a FM version of the Eclipse, Optic 6, or the Optic 6 Sport, do we leave in the FM module or do we have to take out the FM module, assuming the FM module comes out of these models (I've never heard of or seen these units before) ?

Thanks again in advance!!!

Old 04-25-2010, 11:21 PM
A.T.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GizmoMadMax Thanks for the great info above!!!! Question, can the FM version of these transmitters(Eclipse, Optic 6, Optic 6 Sport) be used for an Aurora 9 buddy box?
Eclipse, Optic 6, Optic 6 Sport Or if we have a FM version of the Eclipse, Optic 6, or the Optic 6 Sport, do we leave in the FM module or do we have to take out the FM module, assuming the FM module comes out of these models (I've never heard of or seen these units before) ? Thanks again in advance!!!
Slave is not transmitting so module/crystal is not required and may be removed from transmitter...NB: slave where applicable must be set to PPM (PCM&QPCM settings will not work).
as per link provided post #2
Aurora: Trainer / Buddy system Master & Slave function Set-up.
"5. Other Hitec Transmitter as Slave/T.Pupil or Master TX.
a1) Slave/T.Pupil: Ensure "Student/Buddy" TX has a fully charged battery installed because no power is transferred from the Aurora.
a2) Hitec Eclipse, Optic 6, Focus DIN plug TX as a buddy and the proper combination of Hitec #58321/Student DIN Adaptor cable, the RF circuit is bypassed and there is no need to remove the crystal or module. However, if using a Futaba TX as a Slave, RF circuit is not bypassed and crystal (or module if fitted) must be removed to prevent RF creating problems for other fliers (or take relevant frequency tag/pin).
(recommend best practice, to avoid mistakes, is to remove the crystal/module from all slave/buddy TX oher than another Aurora.) "

see also sub section

See also sub Section "Trainer (Buddy box) cables - DIY " under
"Buddy Boxes. Servo Leads. Flight Simulator & Interface." at:

Regards
Alan T.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:05 AM
GizmoMadMax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Alan,

In your post above, I had a couple more questions:
1. if I picked up an Optic 6 (full blown Optic 6 Transmitter) Transmitter, it sounds like I would follow the #5 buddy box option on the list of options, #5 ?

2. The Optic 6 I am looking at comes with a trainer cord; would that be the # 58321 cable I need?

3. IF the optic 6 has the synthisizer module, it sounds like for an optic 6, that there is no need to worry about the frequency, or do I take out the module to use it as buddy box?

4. it sounds like for the optic 6, you turn both on as mentioned in a3, but if on and a fm module or syth module is in the a6 it will transmit, confused on this one?

5. This A9 trainer system sounds different from my JR, so is there a video setting up the A9 with a Optic 6?
I don't see it on the screens, but it sounds like the options you mention do not show up until I plug in a trainer cord (e.g. a3) Select Din Plug Adaptor with the "Student" Tag &/or selecting [T.Pupil] mode )???

Thanks again for the help!

5. Other Hitec Transmitter as Slave/T.Pupil or Master TX.
a1) Slave/T.Pupil: Ensure "Student/Buddy" TX has a fully charged battery installed because no power is transferred from the Aurora.
a2) Hitec Eclipse, Optic 6, Focus DIN plug TX as a buddy and the proper combination of Hitec #58321/Student DIN Adaptor cable, the RF circuit is bypassed and there is no need to remove the crystal or module. However, if using a Futaba TX as a Slave, RF circuit is not bypassed and crystal (or module if fitted) must be removed to prevent RF creating problems for other fliers (or take relevant frequency tag/pin).
(recommend best practice, to avoid mistakes, is to remove the crystal/module from all slave/buddy TX oher than another Aurora.)
a3) Select Din Plug Adaptor with the "Student" Tag and attach to a stereo plug of the main cable. Connect cables to respective TX and turn both on.
a4) Refer section "1. Trainer Set Up/Trim Function." above and Hitec #58321 cable package instruction sheet attached to this post and ensure servo direction/trims match Master (no movement of servos when Aurora dwitch "H" is toggled.)
a5) Optic Sport - refer attached instruction sheet.
b1) Master: Select Din Plug Adaptor with the "Master" Tag and attach to a stereo plug of the main cable. Connect cables to respective TX and turn them both on.
b2) Refer section "4. Aurora: Pupil/Slave TX Mode" above, selecting [T.Pupil] mode and set-up the Aurora to match the settings of the Master TX.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:56 AM
A.T.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GizmoMadMax
Hi Alan,
In your post above, I had a couple more questions:
1. if I picked up an Optic 6 (full blown Optic 6 Transmitter) Transmitter, it sounds like I would follow the #5 buddy box option on the list of options, #5 ?
2. The Optic 6 I am looking at comes with a trainer cord; would that be the # 58321 cable I need?
3. IF the optic 6 has the synthisizer module, it sounds like for an optic 6, that there is no need to worry about the frequency, or do I take out the module to use it as buddy box?
4. it sounds like for the optic 6, you turn both on as mentioned in a3, but if on and a fm module or syth module is in the a6 it will transmit, confused on this one?
5. This A9 trainer system sounds different from my JR, so is there a video setting up the A9 with a Optic 6?
I don't see it on the screens, but it sounds like the options you mention do not show up until I plug in a trainer cord (e.g. a3) Select Din Plug Adaptor with the "Student" Tag &/or selecting [T.Pupil] mode )???
Thanks again for the help!
1. Yes
2. Not normally supplied with a cable, each retailer would make up their own package. Please ask retailer to confirm it is the three piece cable included and not the cable which only has a"Master"DIN plug at one end and a "Slave" DIN plug at the other.
3. Would be the Optic 6FM (PP</QPCM) would be my choice of a slave unit being lighhter than the others.
4. The "Slave DIN connector has pins 4&5 bridged which prevents the RF section operating - but would use without the module (tape a piece of light plastic overthe hole to protect the pins if left as a slave for any period.)
5. Negative.Please follow instructions regarding selection "trainer" in each trainer model settings in menu and of selection of the On/Off toggle switch.
To use Aurora as a Master, simply select "Transmit>Yes - Select Trainer only when used as a slave.
I have tried to simplify the instructions but it is easier to do, very intuitive, than the words make it out to be.
regards
Alan T.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:29 PM
GizmoMadMax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Alan (&/or anyone who knows this buddy box & spectra module module stuff - 100% new to me)

Excellent help and tech support, thank you

So, yes, I am looking at a used Optic 6 with a Spectra module, and I think it is the FM synthesized module for all frequencies to select any channel like I did on my JR XP7202.

Could I beg you for a few more tech questions

A) Question: sounds like you would choose the Optic 6 FM as a buddy box also, I assume this is probably the best or latest level Tx to use as a buddy box?

B) Then next question, this used Optic 6 with a Spectra module has a half yellow logo on it, whereas the Hitec site shows a spectra module with a half blue logo?? So I assume the yellow one is an older generation of the FM synthesized spectra module, a confusing to me?
http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/tra...hz-module.html

C) For my son, can I eventually convert a used Optic 6 from the FM module to the Spectra 2.4GHz Transmitter Module?
I assume use the Optic as a cheap 2nd box for my pre-teen son?
http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/tra...hz-module.html

D) I read the threads above, but specifically, I could not nail down this jack question: Is the Optic 6 trainer port a DIN or a stereo jack like my A9?

Once again, Thanks a million!

Old 04-26-2010, 03:03 PM
A.T.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: GizmoMadMax Hi Alan (&/or anyone who knows this buddy box & spectra module module stuff - 100% new to me) Excellent help and tech support, thank you So, yes, I am looking at a used Optic 6 with a Spectra module, and I think it is the FM synthesized module for all frequencies to select any channel like I did on my JR XP7202. Could I beg you for a few more tech questions A) Question: sounds like you would choose the Optic 6 FM as a buddy box also, I assume this is probably the best or latest level Tx to use as a buddy box? B) Then next question, this used Optic 6 with a Spectra module has a half yellow logo on it, whereas the Hitec site shows a spectra module with a half blue logo?? So I assume the yellow one is an older generation of the FM synthesized spectra module, a confusing to me http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/tra...hz-module.htmlC) For my son, can I eventually convert a used Optic 6 from the FM module to the Spectra 2.4GHz Transmitter Module? I assume use the Optic as a cheap 2nd box for my pre-teen son?
http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/tra...hz-module.html D) I read the threads above, but specifically, I could not nail down this jack question: Is the Optic 6 trainer port a DIN or a stereo jack like my A9? Once again, Thanks a million!
A) As mentioned, Iprefer to use an Optic 6FM as aSlave TX. Thisbecause it is not only light and more comfortable to hold for young people, it also incorporates an Ailevatorfunction (found on few later Eclipse and not on the others). Optic Sport has a smaller screen, cannot change frequencies & channel 6 is fixed.
B) The Spectra modules are the same, label colours change with packaging, earlier units were red on black., yellow on black and now blue is the latest.
C) Yes, I swap my Optic 6 between original 40 MHz, to 72 Mhz., 35 Mhz, 36 Mhz &2.4GHz as and when required.
D) Optic 6 has a DIN socket whereas the Optic Sport has same stereo jack socket as the Aurora. This is why the three section Hitec Trainer cable is required.

Regards
Alan T.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:47 PM
GizmoMadMax

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Excellent, you are the man!!!!

Great, awesome, superb!!!
Cheers!

Now I can figure out what the heck I am doing with the Optic6 options, thanks so soo much!!

Thank you