RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

trying to match crystals

Old 04-27-2010, 03:51 PM
thetmaxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default trying to match crystals

This should be a quick one for someone...

The plane I got from a friend has a Futaba radio with 72.970 CH59 Dual conversion crystal

My radio is a old hitec flash 5 system x.
I went to the hobby shop and a new kid said the hitec and futaba would be compatable here is the crystal, so I'm home, and no comunication... Then I look at the bag closer and the crystal is green tagged Hitec brand, Single conversion X-tal 72.970 CH59

Did he really mess up and pull a single conversion when it should have been dual, and are the two systems compatable if I get this sorted out?

Thanks!!
BTW long time RCU browser, first time poster YAY!!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 04:22 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (60)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: trying to match crystals

are you attempting to swap your TX crystal, or the RX crystal?

Old 04-27-2010, 05:35 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dual conversion recievers need dual conversion crystals.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: thetmaxx

The plane I got from a friend has a Futaba radio with 72.970 CH59 Dual conversion crystal

I went to the hobby shop and a new kid said the hitec and futaba would be compatable here is the crystal, so I'm home, and no comunication... Then I look at the bag closer and the crystal is green tagged Hitec brand, Single conversion X-tal 72.970 CH59

Did he really mess up and pull a single conversion when it should have been dual, and are the two systems compatable if I get this sorted out?

Thanks!!

So your radio is Hitec right?

And you just bought a plane with a Futaba RECEIVER, right so far?

1. You should NOT change Transmitter crystal by yourself. They need to be properly tuned, pursuant to possible FCC fines, and or potentially dangerous interference.
2. You should stick with crystals of the SAME BRAND as the receiver. So if you have a FUTABA receiver, you should have gotten a FUTABA crystal. I will not discuss the Radio Crystal if you missed no 1 above, you need to read it again.

As BH said above, you need is a Futaba Dual Conversion Crystal on the same frequency as your radio

Rafael
Old 04-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Campgems

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And a Single Conversion xtal is for the receiver. You already had the correct xtal in the RX. The question is what channel is your TX on. Is it a ppm or PCM Tx. If the mode is the same between your Tx and RX, IE both ppm (FM) or PCM, then you need to change the RX crystal to match the TX. It is illegal to change TX frequency without a FCCcertified tech doing the job. Changing the RX crystal, you will need a Dual Conversion xtal that matches the RX. A single conversion Crystal will not work in a dual conversion RX and visa versa

Don

Old 04-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Rafael23cc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks!!

So your radio is Hitec right?

And you just bought a plane with a Futaba RECEIVER, right so far?

1. You should NOT change Transmitter crystal by yourself. They need to be properly tuned, pursuant to possible FCC fines, and or potentially dangerous interference.
2. You should stick with crystals of the SAME BRAND as the receiver. So if you have a FUTABA receiver, you should have gotten a FUTABA crystal. I will not discuss the Radio Crystal if you missed no 1 above.

As BH said above, assuming that you will answer yes to both my questions above; you need is a Futaba Dual Conversion Crystal on the same frequency as your radio

Oh, and I have no clue if Hitec and Futaba will work together. I'm leaving that one for people that store that kind of information in their brains. Mine is too full with other stuff.....

Rafael
Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Hitec Flash 5X will work with Futaba PPM ("FM") receivers.

What is the actual model number of the Futaba receiver? I would expect it to be something like: R###DF (mine are R127DF)
If the receiver model number does end with "DF" you need one of these crystals on the same channel as your Hitec transmitter:
Channel in the 11-35 range http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXBFK7**&P=0
Channel in the 36-60 range http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXBFK8**&P=0
Not sure why one is 9.99 and the other is 12.99 but they control the prices.

If the receiver model number ends with "DP" it means it is a PCM receiver and will only work with a Futaba transmitter.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:44 PM
thetmaxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think I left out a few details not knowing there was so much to channels and stuff.

So I originally bought the Hitec transmitter with CH26 72.310 and it is FM radio. This is for my Tiger 2.
Then I Bought a Electrifly PBY Catalina and set it up to CH 11 72.010. I swap these crystals back and forth in the TX depending on the model to be flown.

I got the Ultra Stick for free with the Futaba FP-R127DF Dual conversion radio with CH 59 already installed.

I now realize, yes I think the guy did sell me the receiver crystal, not the transmitter crystal.

So it sounds like I should never ever be changing my Tx crystals to match my planes, I should have bought a Futaba Dual conversion crystal to go in the Rx for CH 26.

And it seems if I do that it is confirmed these systems will work together with no problems.

BTW Rafael23cc, I did have to read yours over and over to understand, LOL
Old 04-28-2010, 04:06 PM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Right. You should get receiver crystals on channel 26 and fly everything on that channel.

Dave Thacker (Radical RC) will exchange crystals for $5 each if you want to mail some of yours to him.
http://www.radicalrc.com/rrcxtalexchange.html
Old 04-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Rafael23cc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BTW Rafael23cc, I did have to read yours over and over to understand, LOL
English is not my first language and after 8 to 10 hours of speaking english for my job, I'm ready to switch back. So sometimes I type too fast for the brain/finger to do a proper translation....

Rafael
Old 04-28-2010, 10:54 PM
Campgems

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You are right, but one other thing popped up with your details. The R127Df is a Hi band or Lo band receiver. Your TX on Ch 26 is lo band, but the receiver on CH 59 is Hi band. While the Ch 26 xtal may work, your range is compromised as the receiver is not tuned for that frequency range. You can send it to Futaba or RadioSouth (? right name) and they can re tune it to the proper band for not much money. I wouldn't trust it on anything bigger than a park flyer, even if it does pass the ground check, unless it is re tuned. IMHO, that is a good, solid receiver and worth a few bucks to get it tuned right, and checked out in the process.

Don
Old 04-28-2010, 11:30 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

At the risk of being politically incorrect:

"Shouldn't do it" doesn't necessarily mean it won't work. I have used Hitec FM crystals in Futaba FM receivers for years. I have changed Futaba TX crystals many times. I have even borrowed TX crystals from a Futaba guy who had a bag of about 200 TX and RX crystals. He even showed me how to change them in the TX module. JR says don't use other brand servos with their receivers (from what I recall), but every combo I have ever tried has worked.

"It works doesn't necessarily mean you should do it." My disclaimer. I've driven my car with expired plates, ran my furnace without an air filter, and talked on the phone during a thunderstorm.

Kurt
Old 04-29-2010, 03:21 AM
thetmaxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am just blown away, I've been in the hobby for 10 years, and never really did much research to radio equipment, It just always worked with what I did. And now this little kink has led me to learn so much!!

I'm almost wondering if I should just pick up a used Hitec Rx on ebay and get the proper crystal for it? Then ditch the futaba on ebay for someone else to use with their system. Not sure what I will do for future planes, I would like to expand to 6/7 channels... Especially with the hi/lo band detail, I have a tendency to fly really far away from myself for some unknown reason.

Luckily the PBY only flys in the park pond so no other pilots to interfere with, I think I'm still safe swapping crystals in the Tx on that one....

I really appreciate all of the good information you guys helped me with!!! I will definitely be a return user to this forum!!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:47 AM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The High band / Low band receiver issue is unique to Futaba, and it does not apply to all of their receivers. I should have caught that since I have two R127DFs but I totally missed it.

The price to have the Futaba changed from 59 to 26 if you have it done by the Futaba service center in Illinois http://www.hobbyservices.com/futaba-rates.html is 24.99 plus 9.99 return shipping.

Radio South is in Georgia & Florida. I didn't see the price for receiver tuning only but here is a link to their radio repair page http://www.radiosouthrc.com/radio_repair.htm