RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba R6008HS 2.4GHz Receiver

Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Jerkey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba R6008HS 2.4GHz Receiver

I recently purchased a Futaba 2.4GHz System (TM-8 & R6008HS). The TM-8 Module is going in my 9CAP transmitter. I have JR 8411 digital servos throughout my aircraft except for my throttle servo which is a standard JR servo. My question is.... Can I use the High Speed mode of the receiver with the standard throttle servo in channel 3.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:52 PM
DougV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba R6008HS 2.4GHz Receiver

No, if you're on HS mode you can't have analog servos on channels 1 thru 6.

Doug.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:58 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

But there is no need to have throttle on the "typical" Futaba channel (3), it could be moved to a channel above 6, then no prob.

Dave
Old 05-01-2010, 09:00 AM
DougV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ww2birds

But there is no need to have throttle on the ''typical'' Futaba channel (3), it could be moved to a channel above 6, then no prob.

Dave
You can re-assigned channels on the 8FG, 12FG, 12Z and 14MZ, but he's using a TM-8 module with a 9CAP, I don't think the 9C's are capable of re-assigning channels.

Doug.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Silent-AV8R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Actually, I sincerely doubt you will realize any benefit from using the high speed mode on an airplane. I have flown my pattern plane in both modes and cannot feel a difference. Several Futaba Team pilots have reported similar results. The High Speed mode was really intended for use in extreme 3D helicopters. All HS mode does is allow the servo to achieve full holding torque faster. It does not make the servos faster, increase the torque (moving or holding), or reduce the movement latency.

But if you are slamming the sticks to the stops and rapidly moving to the extremes, then HS mode may offer a benefit.

I would set the RX to normal and not worry about where the analog servos are plugged in.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:33 PM
DougV

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with you 100%. I do not use the HS mode at all, not even on my helis since I don't do 3D. However, I was just answering the OP's question.

Doug.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Silent-AV8R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No worries, I was only trying to point out to him that it was not worth the effort to try to use high speed mode.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:12 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does the HS mode decrease lag between the CH 1-6 servos? Like for elevators that have servos on channels 2 and 5?
Old 05-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Silent-AV8R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Does the HS mode decrease lag between the CH 1-6 servos? Like for elevators that have servos on channels 2 and 5?
Not as far as I know or have been told. All the HS mode does is reduce the time it takes a servo to achieve full holding torque. It has no effect on system latency, servo speed, resolution, or servo torque (other than as noted above).

An interesting thing is that many have noted that the inter-channel lag on FASST systems is less, almost imperceptible by some accounts, than it was on 72MHz systems.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:08 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't agree with what you guys are saying here. The latency is 1/2 in the HS mode. This is from Futaba's website:

http://2.4gigahertz.com/receivers/

R6008HS 8-Channel Receiver
•Offers 2048 resolution plus FASST benefits including Dual Antenna Diversity and significantly reduced latency for lightning-quick response
•High-speed operation takes advantage of digital servos’ ability to update more rapidly than analog servos (both can be used with this receiver)
•HS (High Speed) mode improves frame rate on channels 1-6 to only 7 milliseconds — compared to 14 milliseconds at normal mode.*
* Note: In HS mode, digital servos (including those in the BLS series) must be used on channels 1-6. Those channels will also operate gyros and brushless ESCs. Channels 7 and 8 continue at normal mode and accept any servos.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Silent-AV8R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The decrease in frame rate has only one effect, it reduces the time for the servo to achieve maximum holding torque. It will not make your servos faster, increase torque, or increase resolution. Nobody I know, including some members of the US F3A team have been able to detect a difference in airplanes when using HS mode. I even know a few fairly accomplished 3D heli pilots that admit they cannot feel any advantage to it. Part of the reason is that the 2.4 systems are already very fast. Plus, there is more to the overall system latency than just the latency of the frame rate of the receiver.

Oh, and consider that human reaction times average around 235 ms which makes us the limiting factor.

Here is about some of the best information around. This fellow has been measuring system latency for some time in helis using eCCPM mode, where it really matters. Here are some results:

Transmitter |Receiver||Avg ms
Futaba 8FG |R6008HS | 14.1 (HS Mode)
Futaba 8FG |R6008HS | 17.6 (normal mode)

So on the 8FG the average difference in latency was actually 3.5ms, which is so small as to not make a difference to most mortals. On an airplane it is such a small difference that I defy anyone to actually be able to observe it.

The link: http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t172571p1/