Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

1989 Futaba Gold box

Old 07-15-2003, 03:35 AM
Lear Jet Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Futaba Gold box

I bought a Futaba 6 Channel radio in 1989 and was wondering if anyone knew if it could be brought up to the new FCC requirements. I have been away from R/C for a long time and invested too much into this radio. Is it worth messing with or should I scap it and start over. I have heard that some older Futaba radios are worth converting. Sorry my lingo might be hard to follow since I am just getting back into the hobby after 14 years. I can get more info on the model number if anyone responds to this. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:27 AM
ec121k

There are some things that you need to know.

Is your transmitter AM or FM? If it's FM, it is probably OK but I'd send it in to KMI or Radio South for a check and alignment. The batteries are also gone.

The receiver is most likely not narrow band. That would have to be changed.

The airborne battery pack is gone by now as well.

Bottom line is you probably have at least $75 to $100 for batteries and a narrow band receiver and then there's still the issue of the transmitter.

I'd suggest you sell that system and start with a new system. You could probably get $30 to $50 for it on Ebay or here and then just look into some of the entry level computer radios by Futaba or JR. Even the $200 range gets you much more flexibility than the Gold Box. (I still have a 7FGK and use it for my electric park flyers but it's been upgraded to narrow band).

So many advantages to even the low end computer radios. More mixing, setting up for more than one airplane, and more.

Go to the Futaba and JR (Horizon Hobby) sites and pull up the radios and look at the features/functions.

Good luck and welcome back.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:44 PM
GMPheli

If it is FM then the transmitter is narrow banded. Your old receiver will not be.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:34 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Futaba FG

I love these radios! I have three and I like the look, feel and performance.

I've never had any problems with mine.

I'll buy it if you want to upgrade!