Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

BouncingFluttering Futaba 3004

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:23 PM
eastcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BouncingFluttering Futaba 3004

I have a two Futaba 3004 aileron servos wired into a Y connector plugged into an AR6200. If I cycle the servos slowly (as you can see) it works just fine but if I go quickly the left servo bounces during the cycle and doesn't center as quick as the left and just kinda Bounces/Springy. Any suggestions on what might be causing this issue?
The servos were bought New in a flight pack and are Still new for that matter,i built the Plane over the Winter and haven't even taken her on a Maiden yet,the last time i hooked everything up for a test was in Jan and it worked fine,the wing has been standing up in my Closet every since. Now i go hook it up and do some adjustments etc ...before its Maiden and i get this issue. []

Heres a video i made
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4nr5oDosA8[/youtube]
Old 04-30-2010, 08:47 PM
john josey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BouncingFluttering Futaba 3004

The first thing i would do is plug the servo directly into the reciever and bypass the 'Y' lead to see if it still does it ?

I know threre is issues with using amplified and non amplified 'Y' leads on 2.4.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:58 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen this problem several times. All of them were traced to dirty connectors. When you move the servo slow the problem does not occur it is when you speed things up that it shows. The voltage going to the servo is allowing the servo to work at full power. Instead of stopping at the center the servo will move past center and cycle back and forth until it finally stops. You can also move the servo off center with very little force on the surface. Clean all the servo connections and see if that does not fix the problem. As noted in the previous post plugging the servo directly into the reciever would help eliminate the y-harness as the problem unless the dirty power connection is between the battery and receiver.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:07 PM
eastcoast

whats the difference between amplified and non amplified Y Harness's? ,but i was thinking if its Y harnessed,would both of them would do it?

the one im using is by Expert Electronics 6'' standard.

K ill try too bi pass the Y harness and see,and clean up the Connections,the Battery im using is a 5C 6V 2700Mah Nimh,i really hope its something small like cleaning the connections
Old 04-30-2010, 10:18 PM
john josey

I`m not actually sure what the symtoms of using the wrong one is, but it`s something that has to be ruled out.

This is in the instructions for a JR transmitter.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:34 PM
eastcoast

well i just went out and turned everything on again,and it was fine,so i still needed too take the wing off and disconnect the Y harness from the 2 servo leads,blew them out and re-plugged them back in.

yea here's a Quote i found online about 2.4

Spektrum 2.4 possible issue

"When I was in my final assembly & equipment installation phase of the construction of my new 1/3 scale Space-walker, I went to the Hobby Shop for a heavy duty Y-harness for the ailerons. When I got home, the Y-harness they had sold me was an amplified one and when I questioned them, they said it was just a better product and not to worry about it.

When I was reading the small print on the information provided with the new Spektrum/JR AR7000 receiver I found the following note:

IMPORTANT- Y-Harness and Servo Extensions "When using Y-harness or servo extensions it's important to use standard non-amplified Y-harnesses and servo extensions as this can/will cause the servos to operate erratically or not function at all. Amplified Y-harnesses were developed several years ago to boost the signal for some older PCM systems and should not be used with Spektrum equipment. Note that when converting existing models to Spektrum be certain that all amplified Y-harnesses and or servo extensions are replaced with conventional non-amplified versions."

Ive looked around online too see about the ones i use,which are Expert Electronics 6'' standard.but cant find out if there non-amplified or amplified?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:49 PM
john josey

Let us know how you get on, i`m curious myself now.

cheers
                               john
Old 05-01-2010, 03:50 AM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: eastcoast whats the difference between amplified and non amplified Y Harness's? ,but i was thinking if its Y harnessed,would both of them would do it? the one im using is by Expert Electronics 6'' standard. K ill try too bi pass the Y harness and see,and clean up the Connections,the Battery im using is a 5C 6V 2700Mah Nimh,i really hope its something small like cleaning the connections
Not uncommon even with brnad new "Y" leads and extensions to have dirty connections, simply removing and replugging can clean them. On Y leads one servo may not be fully plugged in and have an intermittant connection causing feedback to the other servo.
Expert Electronics 6'' standard. is as name suggests a standard unit whereas a "Boosted" (or sometimes called "Amplified") lead has an obvious small unit in the line - usually a board and circuit about 1" X 0.5" X 0.375" covered in heat shrink.

See also sub Section "Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - causes and cures " under
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Regards
Alan T.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:25 AM
eastcoast

Thanks for the Links AT. Yes i Kinda thought the Expert Electronics 6'' standard was a Non-Amplified. thanks for that Info.
Well i was out and fired up the TX/RX today it wasn't so bad ,just a little bounce at the end but enough too still have we worried . I unplugged the servo leads and waited for 5 mins,then Plugged the left servo in and tested it (worked fine) then Plugged the right servo in by itself and its worked fine. Then connected both of them in and it was gone. I switched them around and plugged the left Aileron too the end of the Y that the Right Aileron was plugged into and visa versa and its nice and steady and there no Springing action at all.I spent about 20 mins steady testing the Ailerons and none of the Springing issues what so ever was too be seen.
Hopefully it stays like this lol

Thanks
Mike
Old 05-01-2010, 10:55 AM
pilotpete2

Hi Mike,
Very nice build[8D]
Is there any possibility that you can run the aileron servos on two channels (flaperon) and have the flaps on channel five? I avoid "Y" harnesses like the plague
Pete
Old 05-01-2010, 11:09 AM
eastcoast

Thanks pilotpete2 i cant wait too fly this baby!!. i'm pretty sure ive taking the bugs out of it Hopefully.yea im using the Ar6200 and i could use the Aux for 1 of the Aileron's etc...I contemplated that when i first started the build but had a extra Y so i decided too use it.
So hopefully the bouncing Swinging effect stays away,if it does come back ill have too look into the option.but now i use the Flap switch for the first flap setting of 10 degrees,and my Elevator duel rate which is nice and close the the flap switch for the second flap setting of about 20 degrees.and i like that set up