Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Help with Airtronics

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Capt. Winters
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Airtronics

Ok guys I'm pissed as I write this so bare with me. I have a Sig Cub that has an Airtronics 92765/72 FM radio receiver in it channel 44, . The servos are Airtronics 94394. I had a Airtronics Radiant tx 6p/ 6h new without a battery. I purchased a new battery from my local hobby shop that they said would work for this radio, a RC Products TPE KR-1100AAu KJS pack. Plugged it into the tx and nothing happened, so I used a 99399z connector to attach to the radio and fried the radio, It still smells in my shop. What happened? Lost my head and that radio is in the trash. Question, Can I adapt this plane to Futaba, without changing the servos , or sould I purchase a new Airtronics radio? Will that pack work on another Vanguard radio on a different plane? I do not want to fry aother radio. The battery in the Vanguard is on the old side, so I purchased two of these packs for each of these radios. Any Thoughts. Thank you Capt. Winters
Old 11-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Help with Airtronics

Airtronics radios are positive shift and are compatible with JR. Futaba is negative shift and not compatible with Airtronics. You must have bought a battery pack that had a plug with the voltage backwards. Be careful
Old 11-10-2007, 09:25 PM
sv_chareta

The airtronics transmitter battery connector positive and negative signals are opposite that of other radios manufacturer batteries, the transmitter battery uses the old style airtronics connector. The positive wire should be on the outside of the connector and the negative wire should be in the middle. Using the wrong type battery (ie. posive and negative reversed) will smoke the transmitter, however, it can be repaired. If you have it repaired make sure your positve and negative wires from the batteries you purchased are correct, if not, you can cut the battery wires and reverse them.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Capt. Winters

Ok guys I'm pissed as I write this so bare with me. I have a Sig Cub that has an Airtronics 92765/72 FM radio receiver in it channel 44, . The servos are Airtronics 94394. I had a Airtronics Radiant tx 6p/ 6h new without a battery. I purchased a new battery from my local hobby shop that they said would work for this radio, a RC Products TPE KR-1100AAu KJS pack. Plugged it into the tx and nothing happened, so I used a 99399z connector to attach to the radio and fried the radio, It still smells in my shop. What happened? Lost my head and that radio is in the trash. Question, Can I adapt this plane to Futaba, without changing the servos , or sould I purchase a new Airtronics radio? Will that pack work on another Vanguard radio on a different plane? I do not want to fry aother radio. The battery in the Vanguard is on the old side, so I purchased two of these packs for each of these radios. Any Thoughts. Thank you Capt. Winters
Here's a suggestion, the Polk's Hobby Tracker III will operate your plane, and you can select "Airtonics" receivers in the software. In addition, you can charge that Tracker III transmitter with your Airtronics charger.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 11-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Capt. Winters

Thank you Guys for the replies, I went to the trash and pulled out the radio. Should I send in this radio to be repaired? Or would it be cost effective to buy a new Airtronic 8 or 6 channel Radio, with all the goodies. Scar, I have not heard of the Polk Hobby system. Is that a radio? Do you have a link? Thank you Capt. Winters
Old 11-11-2007, 09:06 AM
sv_chareta

I copied the Airtronics service contact information from the Airtronics web site and listed it along with the web site URL.
In past forums I have read people paid for this type of repair however I am now unable to locate them.

This is the address and contact information to use for warranty questions, repairs, service, and order status Please note that service telephone operating hours are Monday through Friday, 9am to 3pm Pacific Time:

Global Services
Attn: Airtronics
18480 Bandilier Circle
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
TEL: 1-714-963-0329
FAX: 1-714-964-6236

[email protected]

http://www.airtronics.net/Airtronics_Contact.asp
Old 11-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Capt. Winters

Thank you Guys for the replies, I went to the trash and pulled out the radio. Should I send in this radio to be repaired? Or would it be cost effective to buy a new Airtronic 8 or 6 channel Radio, with all the goodies. Scar, I have not heard of the Polk Hobby system. Is that a radio? Do you have a link? Thank you Capt. Winters
http://www.polkshobby.com/

They sell a radio called the Tracker. Currently, that's Tracker III. I have a Tracker II and a Tracker III, and find them quite satisfactory. These are synthesized channel 72MHz units - any channel, either positive or negative shift.

The neat thing about the Tracker III is, if someone forgets their radio, I can set up a channel for their plane on my radio and let them fly. No rearranging JR or Airtronics servo plugs in the receiver, just select the receiver type.

Good luck,
Dave Olson

Old 11-11-2007, 09:25 PM
xtruckerjim

Should I send in this radio to be repaired? Or would it be cost effective to buy a new Airtronic 8 or 6 channel Radio, with all the goodies.
Sounds like the tracker that Scar suggested might be the way to go. I was haveing a range problem with my Airtronics, so I sent my Tx and both Rx's to Global Services, It would have been a min. of $10 just for shipping to get them back, so I paid the $70 to get it fixed. I think I would have been better off to get new stuff. Basically, I paid more to get it fixed than what it's worth. I would check into the Tracker, it sounds like a nice Tx.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:36 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

HobbyPeople.net has Airtronics RD6000 radios with TX and RX only (no servos) on closeout for $99.99 right now. These are shift selectable and can fly JR or Futaba receivers, as can the RD8000. Hitec Eclipse 7 and Optic 6 radios (but not the Optic 6 Sport) are also shift selectable and can fly Airtronics/JR receivers as well as Futaba/Tower/Hobbico.

The Tracker III is a nice radio system, my friend FrednJess flies one and is very happy with it. There are other systems out there with similar capabilities, however. If you want a new transmitter to fly your Airtronics flight packs with, pretty much any brand except Futaba (or Tower Hobbies) should work.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Radio South is much cheaper for service.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Capt. Winters

Thank you guys, I am going to purchase a new radio, that way I have room to expand and do not have an eleven year old, new radio. Thank you again, Capt. Winters
Old 11-15-2007, 03:02 AM
kojak41

[8D]I bought a new JR sport system and use it with some old Airtronics flight packs I have had for years. Considering the price of new batteries I consider the purchase of a new JR sport system cost effective comparied to sending my old Airtronics transmitters in for new lithium and NICAD batteries. The lithium battery is required to save the computer settings and is not a user repair.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:36 AM
claude roland

My receiver Airtronics 92765/72 does not work with radio rd 8000 Wy.....