RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Choosing a 2.4 gig radio

Old 05-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Scota4570

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Choosing a 2.4 gig radio

I posted a minuet ago regarding my Futaba 6ex 2.4 giving me trouble. I am getting an itch to upgrade. Just an itch for now. When I bought the radio I did not know what I wanted. In hindsite I should have bought a basic 4-channel at the time.

I have some ideas based on using the radio for a couple of years. Dislikes, the trim buttons, confusing to program, I hate the lack of a porportional 5th or 6th channel, switching back and forth between model programs does not retain the trim settings. That unexpected surprize almost cost me my 1/4 scale Nosen Champ. It really bothers me that it won't work with a buddy box properly. The vendor misrepresented that . The channel mixing is limited and confusing. I think you should be able to program differental aileron. That is so common, geeze. I accept that it is an entry level radio. For what it is it is OK.

I am thinking a 7 or 8-channel radio (2.4 since I fly gassers) might be nice. I want a porportional flap channel. I would like the trims to be retained by the programs for different models. Old fashoned trim wheels would be nice. I have three 6-channel receivers, this gravitates me to Futaba. I have not looked into them seriously but, some other brands seem to fit my wants better. Will my RXs be compatable with other brands of radios?

Or................should I buy a different transmitter for each simple 4-channel model and splurge for a dedicated unit for the more complex airplanes.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:56 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Choosing a 2.4 gig radio

Try the Futaba 10CG .. wonderful Tx
Old 05-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Scota4570

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is a crazy possible "want". A USB interface so I can set it up on the computer. I would bet with a decent computer program you could program it much easiar then manipulating the menues and trees on the little screen on the radio. I find the futaba 6ex programing very frustrating.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:21 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Scota, the new version of the Futaba 10C ([link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWVT5&P=SM]the 10CAG[/link]) will allow you to use your current Futaba 2.4 receivers. It not only has proportional knobs, but you can assign ANY channel to any switch or knob. I also like the fact that there are two sliders on the back/sides of the Tx, so you can use them without having to take your fingers off the sticks.

As for "wheels for trim levers" that's just not doable with a multi-airplane radio or the trims would change for every airplane (Which your 6EX should NOT be doing)
Old 05-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Flypaper 2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Or wait for the 8 channel due out in June. Programmable with your computer Also downlink from your rcvr to trans., 30 + model memory, plus many other goodies.

Gord.