Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

RC controller base construction

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 02:25 PM
VolgClawtooth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC controller base construction

Irun a small 'robot' competition at various Sci-Fi Conventions ( http://www.greenemyst.com/critters.html ) where Iallow up to 6 teams to build robots with my largish LEGOcollection. Currently I use 3 LEGOFMRCbases and 3 LEGOIR RC bases.
The FM RCbases can power the LEGO5292 RC Motor ( electronic specs 9v 3.2Apeak draw (stalled), 160mA draw (no-load) -source: http://www.philohome.com/motors/motorcomp.htm ). The IRbases have much less powerful motors builtin to the ir bases. This puts latecomers at a further disadvantage as they only have a 4 hour build session to begin with. So I'm searching for an alternative, cheap as Idon't make any money off this and don't want to be strung up by the wife for letting someone trash a couple hundred dollars of RC electronics. I'm considering the HK-T6A-M1(https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...x_%28Mode_1%29 ) and Ibelieve I'll need some Electronic speed controllers to drive 1-2 of the LEGO 5292 RCmotors per channel (Max config, Iactually expect most times it will be 1 motor/channel). Given I'm trying to go cheap, what ESC would be recommended and how many should Ibe obtaining for each base? The motor outputs wil be getting wired to standard LEGO brick electrical connections.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:30 AM
VolgClawtooth

Default RE: RC controller base construction

Maybe my question was to confusing. I want to make a modular central unti which contains receiver, batteries and 3 outputs to which I connect motors (9v 3.2A max  draw up to 2 per output). What would I need in addition to the TX/RX?

Will the receiver run off the same batteries as the motors?

Do I need one ESC per motor output?

Do I need separate battery packs for each ESC?

If I'm using the inexpensive Hobby King HK-T6A-M1 set for transmitter and receiver what batteries do I need to buy with it?
I do not own any of the RC equipment at this point which was not pre-assembled in a sealed case. I'm taking guesses here and have to determine the budget for my project.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not exactly sure of what you want to accomplish. Here is a link to a store that sells actuators that are directly compatible with our radio systems, and you do not have to rig anything to make it work. [link]http://servocity.com/[/link]

Otherwise, theorethically you would need one ESC per motor being controlled. Each "channel" (stick or switch) can control that motor for forward, stop or reverse, depending on the ESC and the radio settings. So, on a 4 channel radio, you could control 4 motors with 4 ESC connected to that receiver. Some ESC have an integrated circuit called the BEC which allows the receiver to get power from the motor's battery pack. With so many motors running, I imagine that you would have to make a wire harness to run just a few battery packs and not one pack per ESC.

Hope that helped.

Rafael
Old 05-12-2010, 10:57 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those motors, you'll probably need a "brushed ESC" speed controller, rather than a brusheless motor type. They aren't interchangeable.

Here's a decent price on the brushed one, that would be plenty big enough for 3A motors. Actually, it's the smallest I found in a quick search of hobby city (hobby king)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0A_BRUSHED_ESC

Old 05-12-2010, 12:54 PM
VolgClawtooth

Thanks folks. That's what I needed!
Old 05-12-2010, 01:17 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just dawned on me - that brushed controller is probably intended to run a motor in one direction only, coupled to a propeller or something.

To get reversing, you might have to look at a boat controller for brushed motors, etc. Keep that in mind. If you only want to go one direction, then the one I posted a link to should work.