Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Best option to convert my 72 MHz Futaba 8UAF to 2.4

I am toying with the idea of converting my 72 MHz Futaba 8UAF system to 2.4 GHz using a suitable replacement Tx module but am not sure which is the best way to accomplish this, and so your opinions and suggestions are being requested.

Karol
    When inverted always remember that down is up and visa versa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Best option to convert my 72 MHz Futaba 8UAF to 2.4

ORIGINAL: karolh

I am toying with the idea of converting my 72 MHz Futaba 8UAF system to 2.4 GHz using a suitable replacement Tx module but am not sure which is the best way to accomplish this, and so your opinions and suggestions are being requested.

Karol
    Karol,

I have http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRTT6&P=ML and have no issues on my Futaba Super 7 and 9CAPS. It's a bit pricy, but then again you have a really nice radio as well.

FYI - and not to start a flame war - but I also got a Spektrum module (they make one for Futaba systems) for Bind 'n Fly planes. Nothing but trouble. Unbinding, "weird glitches" in flight, throttle servo gets reversed when you accidently turn off the radio while the plane is still on. I ripped the Spektrum RX (AR500?) out of the Bind 'n Fly and put in a Futaba RX. Plus the Spektrum module has a coax connector on the back that prevents you from being able to lay the TX down without modifying the hardware, and you have to remove the 72Mhz as well and replace it with a dummy stick so the 2.4Ghz stub has something to mount to. Sort of a hack. Worth it for a cheap TX, but not a classic like the 8U system.

Hope this helps.

r/s... Roger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You sure got that right about the 8UAF being a good radio, as mine has been excellent and trouble free other than getting the module pins in the Tx resoldered under warranty just to be on the safe side even though mine never had a problem.

The Futaba module looks like the way to go as it's sometimes best to stay within brands, and though as you said it's a bit pricy it should be a one time purchase. One thing I like about the Futaba system is the use of a single Rx rather than having two. Thanks for your response.

Karol
    When inverted always remember that down is up and visa versa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Futaba 2.4 module works great - I got mine soon after they were available ( purchased the module and receiver combo). I've never had any issues I've been able to detect. One thing to note - I believe failsafe is only performed on the throttle channel. Linking or binding to the model is incredibly easy, and I've never had the rx "lose" its bind.
    Ron S - JPO District VIII Rep.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have converted and 6 other club members have converted there 8u,s and 9c Futaba radios to the Hitec 2.4 conversion,Works great,Tells you If your receiver battery is getting low, unbelievable range and you can't beat the price, Check It out,Thanks Ed/rudder turns.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rudder turns

I have converted and 6 other club members have converted there 8u,s and 9c Futaba radios to the Hitec 2.4 conversion,Works great,Tells you If your receiver battery is getting low, unbelievable range and you can't beat the price, Check It out,Thanks Ed/rudder turns.
    Do you have to remove the antenna on a Futaba 9c radio when installing the Hitec module? Is there a little cable linked to the 2.4 antenna?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bobferguson
    ORIGINAL: rudder turns I have converted and 6 other club members have converted there 8u,s and 9c Futaba radios to the Hitec 2.4 conversion,Works great,Tells you If your receiver battery is getting low, unbelievable range and you can't beat the price, Check It out,Thanks Ed/rudder turns.
    Do you have to remove the antenna on a Futaba 9c radio when installing the Hitec module? Is there a little cable linked to the 2.4 antenna?
    User has the option of either removing the 8U antenna or, if frequently swapping between the 72Mhz and 2.4Ghz modules,using a remote mount as detailed with pictures at:
    Hitec & Futaba - DIY Remote TX Mounting for 2.4GHz Antenna (Dual Std & 2.4)
    Standard fitting:
    Spectra Pro Antenna Mast Fitting to other than Aurora TX.

The other advantages of the Hitec AFHSS system are highlighted:
    Hitec Spectra 2.4 GHz and Optima Transceiver (RX) - Review of AFHSS in operation -Video #3
    AFHSS - Normal & Scan Modes Explained includes Redundant (Dual) Receivers.
    not to mention the telemetry functions and greater range

Much more information on the Spectra Pro Module and Optima Transceivers at
    Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {individual link information often updated}

Spectra 2.4G is also compatible with other Module Type Transmitters that use the same Futaba/Hitec module form factor such as:
    5UAF, 5UAP, 7UAF,7UAFS, 7UAP,7UAPS, 7UHF,7UHFS, 7UHP,7UHPS
    8UAF, 8UAFS, 8UAP, 8UAPS, 8UHF,8UHFS,8UHP, 8UHPS (8FGA, 8FGH are not supported because they are non-module radios)
    9CA, 9CH, 9CAPS, 9CAFS, 9CHPS, 9CHFS
    10CH, 10CA (10CAG or 10CHG are not supported because they are non module radios).

Regards
    Alan T.
    Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

R/C hobby consultant for various companies